ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CDR PLAYBACK OR LACK OF IT

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2001, 12:19 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

One thought, have you finalised the CD? Some players refuse to have anything to do with the CDs unless they are finalised/fixed for use in a normal player. If you have made a compilation, it's possible to miss the option to finalise the disk.

Not that it helps, but I've had no problems burning audio CDs and playing them on car and home players.

If possible, try and burn the CD as Disk At Once as well.

Cheers

Steve
Old 17 January 2001, 12:46 AM
richbay
Scooby Regular

i think hanslow is right, when burning a cd you must close the CD (ie tell it there is nothing more to be added at a later date) when i first had mine i had the same problem.
Old 17 January 2001, 12:57 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

It may also be worth experimenting with CD-R's from different manufacturers. You may get better performance with some than with others - all due to the laser being able to read the dye layer in the CD properly.
KF.
Old 17 January 2001, 09:28 AM
Tal
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Peeps,

I have just been buying a CD Writer (Ricoh combi cdr/cdrw/DVD 12 speed thing) and after using the bundled software (nero 5) to burn a copy of a audio cd (this is a technical question not an ethical one BTW)the new CDR works find through the PC and 2 other hifi based cd players, but when I put it in the car autochanger (Kenwood KDC-C660 linked to a KRC-758R head unit) it does not work, it just hangs at track 01 for about a minute and then the time says 98:48 and loops to about 99:44. I can index through the tracks 1-11 but they dont play!.

Any thoughts is it the CDR or the Autochanger for reference its about 3 years old.

Tal
Old 17 January 2001, 09:57 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The autochanger probably doesn't support CDR is the most likely result..
Old 17 January 2001, 11:20 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It's a bit hit or miss I find!!

I have CDR's that were burnt nearly 2 years ago, and they worked fine in all 3 of the various autochangers I've had in the cars.

Others just don't want to work, full stop!!

Just as a quick note for burning audio CD's, try to keep the burning speed to a maximum of x2 but best doing it at x1!!!

I've found that burning them quicker can sometimes lose more quality (especially top end noise) and sometimes the tracks skip!!

It's not even the media, in fact the cheap CDR's (50 for £17-ish, try Jungle) on a sindle have been more reliable than Memorex, Traxdata, etc.

Just my experiences with it all!!
Andy
Old 17 January 2001, 01:07 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

If it wasn't finalised, then surely they wouldn't have played on the home hi-fi equipment as well??

Just a thought
Andy
Old 17 January 2001, 01:14 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy,

Some will, some won't. It's a bit hit and miss and depends on the technology of the player. Worth checking it out though just in case it is.

I use a kenwood KDC-C715 attached to an 8080 CD head unit. Both play compilation CDs fine. Mine are finalised, and I must admit that I haven't tried an unfinalised one.

Old 17 January 2001, 06:13 PM
adrianeaton
Scooby Newbie

I used to have a kenwood 10 disc changer and head unit can't remember the number but is about 3-4 years old now and that didn't play CDR's and the same cdr's play fine in other changers.
So I would image it is just that model of kenwood with the more recent ones support cdr's.

I think it is something to do with the marginally different heights of the music layer and the laser not being able to adjust enough to focus correctly. Just a vague memory could be completely wrong ;-)

Adrian.
Old 17 January 2001, 06:27 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

If you are burning your own cd's you have to close it after you have finished (record "disc at once" which closes CDR AUTO) Just bought a Freecom classic recorder from a mate £20(BARGAIN)