Replacing Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 02:28 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gents,

Can anyone tell me which size of speaker will fit as a replacement in the front of a MY96. I'd like to put a component set up front with a 6" mid in the door and the tweeter..... Well, any ideas on that would be appreciated too!

Karlos
Old 11 January 2001, 03:14 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Karlos
A 6" cone will fit very well into the front door of your impreza without much (if any) modification
As for the tweeter ....mosy ppl like to put them behind the existing grill on the door......silicone seems to be a popular way of attaching them there
The only other options really are fitting them on the triangular piece of plastic opposite the door mirrors, or on the dash itself which is where I happen to have mine ...
Basically the best way to do it is to try the tweeters in a few different places & see where they sound best to you

Hope this helps!
Niall
Old 11 January 2001, 03:21 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd echo what NAF says. Tweeter-wise, blutack served me for a while, before I finalised the mounting location which was the triangular bits behind the mirrors. Gave me a better stereo image. YMMV.
Old 11 January 2001, 04:22 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks guys,

That puts my mind at rest. I'd already thought about the Mirror blanks, that's were I had tweets in my old Nova.

Whilst were on the subject of replacing speakers, do you guys also happen to know what size you can get into the holes in the rear shelf?

Cheers,

Karl
Old 11 January 2001, 04:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

They're the same as the front, but a bugger to get to and not really worth replacing...
Old 11 January 2001, 04:25 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Rear speakers ?
....as Nick has said before ....they're only good for keeping yer passengers happy !

Niall
Old 11 January 2001, 09:43 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

If you want a few hints on how to replace the speakers, have a look at
Old 12 January 2001, 12:31 AM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Removal is the same for the earlier door cards,

Screw in the door release
Screw in the Door handle base
Plus various "pop" off fixings along the perimeter,

Window controls do not need to be removed to be disconnected, lift off door card and then disconnect the loom , I don't think the window controls come out as easily as they do in the later models...

Took me an hour to replace both speakers, New wire for the speakers was a different matter though.....pig of a job....

Mark MY97
Old 12 January 2001, 10:14 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Christ!

Looks like I'm gonna leave those rear speakers alone!!!!

OK, next question. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to remove the door trim, or does the speaker grill come off seperate and allow you enough room to manouver a replacment speaker in?

Karlos
Old 12 January 2001, 11:51 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Karlos,

check the FAQ - there's a big section of instructions on how to get the cards off
Old 13 January 2001, 09:24 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Diggy
Do you reckon upgrading the speaker wire made a difference??
I was considering doing it but as you say Its
A pain to do...

Niall
Old 13 January 2001, 11:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Certainly made a difference in mine. I did not do it for a while, but then I tried the supplied patch cords that come with some speakers and tried them on my living room separates and then swapped for some cable I had got for the car. Even through relatively short lengths, the treble definition, stereo imagery and bass response were wildly improved - sounded much less "dull".

Obviously not a blinded controlled trial and not in the car, but enough to convince me to change the wire all the way from the amp to the passive crossovers in the front doors - made a huge difference. I don't know if you'd get such an improvement from running off a headunit though. Depends on what is holding back your system - good RCA cable or headunit or amp or grounding etc may expose the next "bottleneck" to quality - improvements to my system are quantum from the initial installation, but have been many and gradual to the point where I am really happy with it now - to the wife's relief!

BTW - I routed speaker cable down the centre for the front left door cable to keep it away from the power cable (albeit less of a problem than RCA cable because of higher signal:induced noise ratio) and down the right side of the car for the right cable because I was running out of wire and I didn't want to cross from the rear of the centre console across the pedal area :O

Then found spare grommet in the door above the large grommet carrying the electric window wiring and original speaker wiring, central locking etc (unfortunately large gromet not large enough my heftyish cable). To get into the door itself, I forced it through a tiny hole created in the large rubber grommet - outside of the "tunnel" as there was nowhere else I could see without drilling and fitting new grommets - I have avoided all drilling for my current install thankfully.

On the rear speaker thing - I replaced them with some Kenwoods, and tried amping them, but in the end preferred them off the headunit and used the extra two channels to run the fronts bridged (using four channels for death-inducing power!) - I really like the incredibly effortless power in this config compared to excessive effective rear fade and they are now loud enough to compete with the sub

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 13 January 2001).]
Old 14 January 2001, 02:02 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

6.5s can be fitted in the front also - but these are a bit of a nightmare to fit!

I have the tweeters a few inches above the components - the sound is very good

Rears have been removed - to allow for the Bass to come thru - you only really notice the difference when you remove the Bass from the boot
Old 14 January 2001, 05:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

My 6.5" speakers went straight in without any problems using the adaptor ring supplied with them just to move the screw holes to fit the factory spacer. No mounting depth or other problems at all. Infinity 605cs £88 - sound very good - esp for the money.

I tried with rear speakers removed to vent the bass, but it sounds better and less boomy with rear speakers in - but my sub is VERY loud for the power and can easily take over.
Old 16 January 2001, 06:20 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

John,sorry the baffles didn't give you what you wanted,but you switched drivers and power input on me before they got there,so I don't know what to say.You made leaps and bounds in the combined upgrade you made over the original purpouse of them.If I'd only known...
Old 16 January 2001, 01:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Rockin': Make no mistake those baffles are the dogs danglies. After having them in for a few weeks I am now really pleased with the system. Despite lots of sound-deadening AND foam, the baffles have made an obvious improvement in stopping air leak and vibrations, and they offer much better weatherproofing than before. The left door was buzzing very annoyingly before at high volumes, and I have managed to get my HPF for the fronts lower since installation without there seeming to be a nest of bees in the door! Still a worthwhile addition, even though I prefer the infinite baffle sound. I really like the sound of it all now and have "finished" ...for now!

Have moved onto other "projects" for now - i.e. brakes, suspension, considering engine now.
Thanks again,
John
Old 16 January 2001, 04:40 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

John Banks

the 6.5's I had were bigger than this - Dyn Audio - which made them a ball acher to fit and required many hours of messing - the professional outfit I used said they would only fit 5.75inch Dyn Audio to the fronts in an sti again

Mine were about £400 for front and tweeters, excluding the fit. Still waiting for sound to be turned right up as it takes several weeks for the speakers (and the Diamond subs) to bed in - so its at about 30% power at moment - still gives me a bit of a head massage - but sound clarity is impeccable