ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Installing Blaupunkt H/units

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2005, 09:41 PM
perdiccas
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Blaupunkt H/units

I'm a new scoob owner (02 bugeye) and have just spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to replace the standard Subaru single DIN unit with a Blaupunkt Valencia CD52.

Everything was going swimmingly until I tried to attach the B/punkt to the mounting plates; the holes line up perfectly but the screws from the Subaru unit don't fit or won't bite. Any idea what I can do or am I stuffed? If I am stuffed what h/units can I mount securely?

cheers!
Old 27 February 2005, 10:37 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Use different screws?

I remember having a similar problem with a my Sony h/u, the screws didn't fit in the holes I expected *but* having drilled and cut a thread so they would... the front of the h/u wasn't aligned with the dash. !!!!

So, make sure you are using the right holes for the front of the h/u to fit the dash, it will be set back slightly, about 6-8mm I think as the width of a DIN unit is slightly more than the width of the double-DIN hole in the dash surround.

Last edited by GaryCat; 27 February 2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01 March 2005, 09:51 AM
edthedoc
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with a Blaupunkt hu and my MY05. The holes lined up OK but there wasn't any thread in the holes on one side of the hu. The solution was to press quite hard down on the screwdriver as I turned it and the screws did eventually bite. I secured them with some threadlock just in case.
Old 02 March 2005, 05:45 PM
perdiccas
Scooby Newbie

Thanks both for the replies.

Solved the problem. Got myself some screws for an Alpine unit and used them to cut a thread. Couldn't use them to mount the HU though as they were too short so used original screws again. Fits beatifully and sounds great. Just need to sort the speakers now....
Old 02 March 2005, 08:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Whilst you're sorting the speakers out and have the doorcards off, bung some sound deadening in there. It'll cost you less than 30 quid, take less than half an hour extra and will seriously improve the sound no end. Plus your doors will slam with a thunk rather than a bdrrrrrrrr