ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY05 ICE

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 12:51 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 ICE

Intending on replacing the standard HU and speakers when it arrives, but does Anyone know what size spacers needed to fit Infinity 605cs into an MY05 ? Seen a few threads re this but not seen the answer yet - HELP?

Also what is the part code of Forrester pocket (to go under my single din HU) - oh and part code / model no of the autoleads wiring adapter

Thanks

Richard
Old 15 February 2005, 05:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

PC 2-44-4 for the adaptor IIRC, and the part code for the pocket is legendary - I seem to have one part number, the rest of the world has different. Check the FAQ
Old 15 February 2005, 05:41 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes checked the FAQ now and seem to have got two different numbers, also curious as to what colour to go for to match the MY05 interior !

To be honest was more interested in size of spacers needed !

Richard
Old 15 February 2005, 05:48 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Yes checked the FAQ now and seem to have got two different numbers, also curious as to what colour to go for to match the MY05 interior !

Richard
Didn't think you had a choice.... I just ordered it and it matches.... slightly darker silver than the 05 console but you'd only notice if you sat and examined it for hours in varying light conditions.

If I remember rightly the spacers need to be of 12mm mdf..... or do what I did and get a pro to install them... only cost me 30 quid on top of the speakers.

Paul
Old 15 February 2005, 06:09 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

As long as it can't really tell,
Vipa its the installing wanting to know this info !!

Richard
Old 15 February 2005, 10:57 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Vipa its the installing wanting to know this info !!

Richard
Oo-er
Old 16 February 2005, 11:59 AM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

Intending on replacing the standard HU and speakers when it arrives, but does Anyone know what size spacers needed to fit Infinity 605cs into an MY05 ? Seen a few threads re this but not seen the answer yet - HELP?

Also what is the part code of Forrester pocket (to go under my single din HU) - oh and part code / model no of the autoleads wiring adapter

Thanks

Richard
If you go to your local Subaru dealer and ask for a Forrester dash pocket, they should know exactly what you mean - mine did.
Regarding the collars, one of the users on here is currently making me a set to house Infinity 6000cs speakers - I'll let you know the dimensions when they arrive.
Old 16 February 2005, 12:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

30 quid for two lumps of jigsaw'd MDF? Blimey, I'm in the wrong business

"Coming soon from Chiark enterprises"
Old 19 February 2005, 08:14 AM
pistonbroke
Scooby Regular

apologies for borrowing your thread.............

This is my install in an MY04 STi, with the foreseter pocket. I am currently thinking of changing to an MY05, but does anyone know how the new centre console is removed, instructions, pic's etc?

I seem to recall on the MY04, opening the cupholder revealed screws to be removed etc. As the MY05 does not have any (a nice flush panel instead), anybody had any experience of swapping the head unit out on them?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../stistereo.jpg

cheers

Kev
Old 19 February 2005, 04:08 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

http://www.ehgp.com/public/impreza_my05_hu_removal/

There you go mate.

About to try it myself next week. If I can find the right HU that is.
Old 19 February 2005, 04:16 PM
pistonbroke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
http://www.ehgp.com/public/impreza_my05_hu_removal/

There you go mate.

About to try it myself next week. If I can find the right HU that is.

cheers, thats just the ticket..........:-)
Old 21 February 2005, 11:04 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Added link to the FAQ in installing MY01+. Ta for that!
Old 21 February 2005, 03:53 PM
pistonbroke
Scooby Regular

anyone know if the door skin removal/replacement is any different for the MY05 please? I noticed the design of the door is slighty different, (arm rests etc) but dont know if this extends to a re-design of the fittings etc.

cheers for any help
Old 22 February 2005, 08:42 AM
pistonbroke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pistonbroke
anyone know if the door skin removal/replacement is any different for the MY05 please? I noticed the design of the door is slighty different, (arm rests etc) but dont know if this extends to a re-design of the fittings etc.

cheers for any help

obviously this question in relation to front door speaker changes??? any tips from MY05 owners?
Old 22 February 2005, 10:54 AM
JaniT
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pistonbroke
obviously this question in relation to front door speaker changes??? any tips from MY05 owners?
Just opened mine (MY05) last weekend and indeed the door cards are slightly different to previous ones.

I think it went like this:
1) pull out the cover behind mirror (attached w/ 3 snappers)
2) lift off cover around door opener handle (squeze it together a bit, should help?)
3) unscrew the screw (behind the cover) from the handle w/ window buttons, then lift the handle out. Underneath you can see two screws but you DON'T have to unscrew those.
4) Pull the doorcard out, beginning from the bottom end. The bottom end is attached w/ snappers and a couple of "slide in"- type connectors. After you have released the bottom end just lift the door card up to release upper end.

Hope this helps,

Jani

Last edited by JaniT; 22 February 2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22 February 2005, 11:59 AM
pistonbroke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JaniT
Just opened mine (MY05) last weekend and indeed the door cards are slightly different to previous ones.

I think it went like this:
1) pull out the cover behind mirror (attached w/ 3 snappers)
2) lift off cover around door opener handle (squeze it together a bit, should help?)
3) unscrew the screw (behind the cover) from the handle w/ window buttons, then lift the handle out. Underneath you can see two screws but you DON'T have to unscrew those.
4) Pull the doorcard out, beginning from the bottom end. The bottom end is attached w/ snappers and a couple of "slide in"- type connectors. After you have released the bottom end just lift the door card up to release upper end.

Hope this helps,

Jani

Thank Jani, sounds like a similar procedure to the MY04. do you know if the speaker sizes are different between MY04 and MY05? or are they the same piece of sh1te?

Kev
Old 23 February 2005, 07:49 PM
edthedoc
Scooby Regular

Glad my MY05 hu removal instructions are useful. Here's a photo of mine completed with a Blaupunkt MP54.

Old 26 February 2005, 02:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Just been to Halfrauds and they have ordered me a pair of Autolead spacers for the newage scoobs inc wiring adaptor for £13.00..!

Now I realise these may not be as good as MDF, but for what I'm looking for, just a decent sound from some decent speakers, they should do nicely, and lighter..!

Jason

PS Can someone recommend a decent front speaker (16.5~17cm) that dosen't cost the earth..?
Old 26 February 2005, 02:51 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Please post back with piccies and your impressions when you've fitted it all; I'd be interested to know.
Old 26 February 2005, 07:31 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Will do..!

Just need to decide on the speakers now..? Don't want to spend mega bucks so it's either INFINITY-REFERENCE-6500cs, vibe Sa90 or Rainbow Dream Line SLX..? Then there's the Pioneer TS1704's at £40 which would probably do for what I want..!

Jason
Old 27 February 2005, 07:46 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Will do..!

Just need to decide on the speakers now..? Don't want to spend mega bucks so it's either INFINITY-REFERENCE-6500cs, vibe Sa90 or Rainbow Dream Line SLX..? Then there's the Pioneer TS1704's at £40 which would probably do for what I want..!

Jason
I got the Rainbows SL625 deluxe.... I can produce enough deep bass out of them to actually get away with no subs... until I get on gthe motorway then the subs come in handy

Seriously though... The Rainbows sound awesome...

Paul
Old 27 February 2005, 12:55 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

I need to find a Rainbow dealer in Central Scotland. I'm willing to pay that money if they are as good as you say Vipa.

I picked up a Pioneer DEH-P8600 headunit. Hopefully get that delivered this week and I can install that myself as I've sourced the harness and Forrester Pocket already. Then I'll get the front speakers changed and have my existing sub fitted.

Not really confident enough to run cabling to the boot, and I'd rather have someone install the speakers + deadenin too.
Old 27 February 2005, 01:26 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vipa
I got the Rainbows SL625 deluxe.... I can produce enough deep bass out of them to actually get away with no subs... until I get on gthe motorway then the subs come in handy

Seriously though... The Rainbows sound awesome...

Paul
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in these speakers, from what you say they should do me nicely. I too need to find a supplier in the Midlands. I wonder how much the dealer you used would charge to send..?

You have an 05 WRX if I remember correctly, are you using the OEM head unit..?

Jason
Old 28 February 2005, 12:44 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in these speakers, from what you say they should do me nicely. I too need to find a supplier in the Midlands. I wonder how much the dealer you used would charge to send..?

You have an 05 WRX if I remember correctly, are you using the OEM head unit..?

Jason
Call Turners of Sunderland on 0191 521 2901 they do mail order. The website for rainbow is www.rainbow-audio.de and the speakers I have are the SLX 625 deluxe 6.5" (which have won awards apparently) I am currently driving them with 180w per channel RMS from a bridged Audison SRX4 amp but when they were running from the amp unbridged at 60w rms they sounded just as good just not quite as controlled. I would recommend amping them up or I don't think you'll get the most out of them (remember 60w per channel from even a good head unit, mine is top of range Alpine, is 60w max.... not RMS!) Although I did run them for a while just from my Alpine HU and they sounded great... just not quite as great as they do now . Bear in mind too that each of my doors also has a roll of Dynamat extreme stuffed into it which is gonna make a difference.

As for the spacer... yes I beleive it does need one, Turners did all the work for me so obviously can't give you first hand advice , but if you speak to Mark when you call them he will tell you what you need (don't forget to tell him it's for an Impreza!)

Current setup is:
  • Alpine 9835r head unit (with iPod adapter & iPod of course, hidden in the Forester dash pocket mounted underneath the headunit)
  • Audison SRX4 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels running the Rainbows @ 180w per channel RMS
  • Audison SRX1 monobloc amp running 2 x Genesis 6x9 subs @ 210w mounted under rear parcel shelf (not the ideal solution by a long way but I couldn't afford to lose ANY lateral boot space with a ported box...... my golf clubs, small person's pushchair etc. they do a good job though but as they are running 'free air' I can't push em too hard)
  • Roll of Dynamat Extreme in each front door & under parcel shelf to stop any unwanted vibration.
Both amps are fastened to the back of the rear seats, 1 either side of the ski tunnel/armrest.

The rear speakers are currently the OEM ones and are wired to be run from the head unit amp but to be honest I have turned them off completely 'cos they bring the rest of the system down when I bring them into play.

Nice thing I can do with the Alpine HU also is time correct all speakers so everything is basically focussed on my head I also like the 'Media Expansion' system with the Alpine... really fills the sound out!

With ref to Turners... no hesitation recommending them, they did a superb job on mine and Mark could have sold me a pair of 500 quid speakers but didn't! These guys also have done the last 8 installs for David Beckham (££££££!!!!! ) also have done installs for Ronaldo and Gazza too.. amongst others!!!!

Paul

Last edited by Vipa; 28 February 2005 at 01:06 PM.