Front Speaker Advice

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2005, 01:50 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Speaker Advice

Hi Folks

Changed my system last year in my STI 8 but i'm just not happy with the quality. I fitted new kenwood head unit, Pioneer door speakers with MDF collars and a Vibe 12" sub with amp.

If I replace the Pioneers with Focals 165 will it make much difference?

I'm trying to justify another £250 and don't want to be disappointed. I'm going to change the head unit too so any recommendations are well come, going to get a CD/Tuner and ditch my changer cos I never change the discs.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
Old 14 February 2005, 02:26 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Brother
Hi Folks

Changed my system last year in my STI 8 but i'm just not happy with the quality. I fitted new kenwood head unit, Pioneer door speakers with MDF collars and a Vibe 12" sub with amp.

If I replace the Pioneers with Focals 165 will it make much difference?

I'm trying to justify another £250 and don't want to be disappointed. I'm going to change the head unit too so any recommendations are well come, going to get a CD/Tuner and ditch my changer cos I never change the discs.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
OK this is what I've got but you don't need the same top end models etc. to get the same output:

Alpine 9835R head unit (can get much cheaper Alpine models without the fancy displays!)
Audison SRX4 amp driving:
Rainbow Audio SL265 deluxe component speakers - front (rears not used/needed!) @ 60w per chanel RMS
and
2 x Genesis 6x9 subs @ 180w bridged mono.

Sounds awesome just need a little more control over the subs so will soon also have an Audison SRX1 amp @ 210w RMS just for the subs which then means I can bridge the SRX4 and run the fronts @ 180w per chanel RMS!!!!

If you are near the north east you are more than welcome to come have a play........ BTW the heart of the system - the Rainbow SL625s were the cheapest bits at 100 quid!!!!! have had the doors stuffed with dynamat though

Cheers
Paul
Old 14 February 2005, 04:16 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

I like the Alpine 9835, it's a great head unit and u gotta have the top one, can't go for cheap c**p with a dodgy display

Just a quick question. does this head unit require a straight 12v feed direct the battery? I heard a rumour it did but would good if you could clarify this?

thanks

Ian
Old 15 February 2005, 11:04 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

sound qualtiy in the front is all about using adjustable high pass filters cut out every thing below 100-125hz
i have a pioneer deh p 8600 mp and it has awsome set up capabitltys high\low pass time delay auto set up, focal seat positioning

if u just use high end sound you can drive small cone speakers a lot harder get all your bass\ sub bass from the rear
you can set up a better sound stage

a pro will say have no high end from the rear just bass ( as it screws up sound stage)
Old 16 February 2005, 05:23 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rhybeck

Help appreciated
Old 16 February 2005, 10:19 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

Old 16 February 2005, 10:43 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

165's are a hell of a lot better than the speakers you currently have - and they dont need too much to amp them

You say another £250? - my Focal fronts were I believe £300 (Better speakers are Dyn audio but on your set up the extra bass/quality is not worthwhile) - I was just wondering how you were going to amp up the fronts as NO headunit will give them the necessary power!

Vibe sub - you really should listen to a few more peoples set up's! - Vibe is ok on a budget - just as peco Powermaster exhaust is ok on an old Nova!

I can give you a demonstration of:

Focal Polykevlar 165 fronts and Focal 6*9 rears with 2*12 M512 Inch Diamond subs running off 2 Genesis amps, an £800 Alpine unit, with tonnes of Dynamat - I'm at Well lane on the 27th Feb - if you can get there

I have had better installs but on the Scoobs sound quality appears a waste of time!

Steve
Old 17 February 2005, 07:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Likewise you could listen to mine at well lane - but it's being removed/replaced as the car is for sale

Vipa - those rainbows sound interestng. Would like to hear those!

The component that makes the most difference to how your car sounds are front speakers, and the next biggest factor is how well they're installed.