ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Which Sony CD instead of MD?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2001, 04:39 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Scoob related but...

My other half has an MX5 with Sony CD headunit (CDX-M600R) and a 6 minidisk changer. She wants to swapout the minidisk changer for a CD changer but when reading the manual it says the ones that are compatible are the CDX 737 and 828, which are expensive. Is there any reason why we cant just fit an older secondhand different model?

Jon.
PS. She doesnt want to sell the MD I did ask... ;-)
Old 02 May 2001, 08:58 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

JonW
For the last few years all Sony heads and changers have worked on the Unilink system.
I have a CDX M700 which has an old (5yrs) CDX U303 plugged into it.
The only things you need to be aware of is that some of the older changers don't support features like custom file and disk naming. Also if buying second hand make sure it comes with the Unilink lead cos these are damn expensive to buy seperate (£75).
You can even (with the use of an adaptor box. can't remember the sony number) plug the MD changer and a CD changer into the M600

Hop this helps. If you need any more info let me know cos I have had quite a few Sony units over the years.
Rob
Old 02 May 2001, 10:00 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob for getting back to me.

Does the MD come with a Unilink cable too? if so to prove it all works fine can I plug in the CD changer out of my scoob (Sony of some description) in and check it out?

What sort of money do you think I can pick a CD Changer up for second hand? dont think shes worried at all by things like custom file and disk naming so that makes things easier for me! ;-)

Old 03 May 2001, 07:23 AM
RobP
Scooby Regular

JonW
The lead for the MD changer should be identical to a CD one as they use the same connections. Make sure you unplug both the unilink lead and the RCA leads into the changer otherwise the changer will work but no sound
Not sure how much second hand. should be able to get one for about £80. Checkout
Old 03 May 2001, 02:00 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Yep good point bout the leads, I will give it a go this weekend and see if it works on her install.

Cor thats pretty cheap, cheers for that, Jon.