Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6 x 9 in rear shelf of a bugeye wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 08:27 PM
jimbobc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 6 x 9 in rear shelf of a bugeye wrx?

Having read on this forum how poor the rear speakers are I was wondering weather anybody has put some 6 x 9 in the rear shelf, if it was difficult to do and if there worth it?

Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks James
Old 12 October 2004, 01:47 PM
richto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbobc
Having read on this forum how poor the rear speakers are I was wondering weather anybody has put some 6 x 9 in the rear shelf, if it was difficult to do and if there worth it?

Thanks James
Well its easy in a classic - I am selling a pair of JL-Audio on Ebay at the moment that include the plastic spacer to make mounting simple.

Just remove back seat and then parcel shelf cover - then you can drill tiny holes for the screw mounts. You dont need to cut the body work if you use the spacers.
Old 12 October 2004, 10:31 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

I've put some 6x9's in the rear but you need to make a new shelf out of MDF to do it. It is a bit of a pig to do and can take quite a while. It turned out alright though.....

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  47.6 KB

If you want to have a go and need some more advice, give me a shout.
Old 12 October 2004, 11:32 PM
richto
Scooby Regular

Dont need to do that at all. Just leave existing speaker vents in rear shelf and mount 6x9 below with a pastic collar. Existing holes are not the exact right shape but they are large enough so it doesnt matter. No cutting is required.

Totally hidden instead of saying please steal me...

I do heavily recommend you cover the rear metal shelf in Dynamat Xtreme though. Sounds miles better.
Old 14 October 2004, 06:08 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richto
Dont need to do that at all. Just leave existing speaker vents in rear shelf and mount 6x9 below with a pastic collar. Existing holes are not the exact right shape but they are large enough so it doesnt matter. No cutting is required.

Totally hidden instead of saying please steal me...

I do heavily recommend you cover the rear metal shelf in Dynamat Xtreme though. Sounds miles better.
...sure they'll fit
Old 14 October 2004, 07:09 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As Bug-eyes start out with no speakers in the rear shelf, (they're in the rear doors) I guess thats why you made your own shelf Taff? I'd be interested to know how you did it!
Old 14 October 2004, 07:18 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taff ,.you dont fancy making another one do you !!! for profit of course it looks mint.
Old 14 October 2004, 08:42 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

What about a possible group buy Taff???
Old 14 October 2004, 08:52 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbobc

Thanks James
Should be easy enough to do, if you do a search on google you should be able to find a template to do this... i got mine done by a guy who works for uplands and he did a great job... taken it out now and put the standard shelf back in as i want the new one for the new motor. I also made a sub using a plan i found on a ice forum.. go trawl...

J
Old 14 October 2004, 10:47 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Basically, it's a case of getting the old shelf out and roughly copying the shape onto MDF. After that, it was a case of 'in-out, trim; in-out, trim' loads of times.
As I said earlier, it did take ages but the end result justifies the effort. (and you will not get a set of decent 6x9's underneath the original parcel shelf)

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Taff ,.you dont fancy making another one do you !!! for profit of course it looks mint.

If I was in the UK and I hadn't started tarting up my 205 GTI, I would do one for you mate. Have a go, it isn't that hard and if you need any advice, just give me a shout. Thanks for the compliment, anyway!

Just remembered, a guy called NathanL IIRC was the one who put the idea into my head (and he did a damn fine job of his shelf, too). You could try asking him?

Last edited by Taff107; 14 October 2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 14 October 2004, 10:48 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
What about a possible group buy Taff???
How many? 30,000+, I'll give up my current job!
Old 15 October 2004, 12:07 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taff ,I cant cut a broom handle in half stright so I got no chance of making a shelf. Any chippys on scoobynet?.......please
Old 15 October 2004, 12:09 PM
killa
Scooby Regular

Do u raelly want some 6 by 9 s' don't u think it may be easier to get some uprated speakers in the doors, i got a quote for around 60 quid and 25 for fitting, for the front ones, also if u have more powerful speakers the std head unit may not sound that good and a amp may be needed or changing the head unit. If u look around u may get a better deal, but 6 9 s' do sound good if fitted properly and much better with an amp on a larger ice install.
Old 15 October 2004, 06:53 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by killa
Do u raelly want some 6 by 9 s' don't u think it may be easier to get some uprated speakers in the doors, i got a quote for around 60 quid and 25 for fitting, for the front ones, also if u have more powerful speakers the std head unit may not sound that good and a amp may be needed or changing the head unit. If u look around u may get a better deal, but 6 9 s' do sound good if fitted properly and much better with an amp on a larger ice install.
It goes without saying that you've got to change the crap factory h/unit which never sounds good. I've put Infinity 605 components in the front doors and the 9603 6x9s in the rear shelf driven by a 4ch amp, all driven by a Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP3 player. (and it sounds damn good! )

..Oops, forgot the heavy coating of Dynamat too!

Last edited by Taff107; 15 October 2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 23 October 2004, 12:11 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Oops coming to this a bit late but....

The alternative to Taff and Nathan's above shelf mount is the under shelf mount which is possible. We discussed this a while ago on this thread where I showed how I did it.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=294011

Admittedly I was fitting 6x9 subs but the principle is the same. The benefit of subs over regular 6x9s is that it adds bass whilst not drawing the soundstage rearwards, but that is only my preference.

Steve
Old 23 October 2004, 12:38 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Jocky, That is neat. - Good job