ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   6 x 9 in rear shelf of a bugeye wrx? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/369812-6-x-9-in-rear-shelf-of-a-bugeye-wrx.html)

jimbobc 11 October 2004 08:27 PM

6 x 9 in rear shelf of a bugeye wrx?

Having read on this forum how poor the rear speakers are I was wondering weather anybody has put some 6 x 9 in the rear shelf, if it was difficult to do and if there worth it?

Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks James

richto 12 October 2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jimbobc
Having read on this forum how poor the rear speakers are I was wondering weather anybody has put some 6 x 9 in the rear shelf, if it was difficult to do and if there worth it?

Thanks James

Well its easy in a classic - I am selling a pair of JL-Audio on Ebay at the moment that include the plastic spacer to make mounting simple.

Just remove back seat and then parcel shelf cover - then you can drill tiny holes for the screw mounts. You dont need to cut the body work if you use the spacers.

Taff107 12 October 2004 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've put some 6x9's in the rear but you need to make a new shelf out of MDF to do it. It is a bit of a pig to do and can take quite a while. It turned out alright though.....

Attachment 49160

Attachment 49161

Attachment 49162

If you want to have a go and need some more advice, give me a shout. :p

richto 12 October 2004 11:32 PM

Dont need to do that at all. Just leave existing speaker vents in rear shelf and mount 6x9 below with a pastic collar. Existing holes are not the exact right shape but they are large enough so it doesnt matter. No cutting is required.

Totally hidden instead of saying please steal me...

I do heavily recommend you cover the rear metal shelf in Dynamat Xtreme though. Sounds miles better.

Taff107 14 October 2004 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by richto
Dont need to do that at all. Just leave existing speaker vents in rear shelf and mount 6x9 below with a pastic collar. Existing holes are not the exact right shape but they are large enough so it doesnt matter. No cutting is required.

Totally hidden instead of saying please steal me...

I do heavily recommend you cover the rear metal shelf in Dynamat Xtreme though. Sounds miles better.

...sure they'll fit :Whatever_

Stuart Page 14 October 2004 07:09 PM

As Bug-eyes start out with no speakers in the rear shelf, (they're in the rear doors) I guess thats why you made your own shelf Taff? I'd be interested to know how you did it!

KJD Mk1 14 October 2004 07:18 PM

Taff ,.you dont fancy making another one do you !!! for profit of course it looks mint.

subarujimmy 14 October 2004 08:42 PM

What about a possible group buy Taff??? :) ;)

scoobyjimbo 14 October 2004 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jimbobc

Thanks James

Should be easy enough to do, if you do a search on google you should be able to find a template to do this... i got mine done by a guy who works for uplands and he did a great job... taken it out now and put the standard shelf back in as i want the new one for the new motor. I also made a sub using a plan i found on a ice forum.. go trawl...

J

Taff107 14 October 2004 10:47 PM

Basically, it's a case of getting the old shelf out and roughly copying the shape onto MDF. After that, it was a case of 'in-out, trim; in-out, trim' loads of times. :freak3:
As I said earlier, it did take ages but the end result justifies the effort. (and you will not get a set of decent 6x9's underneath the original parcel shelf)

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Taff ,.you dont fancy making another one do you !!! for profit of course it looks mint.

If I was in the UK and I hadn't started tarting up my 205 GTI, I would do one for you mate. Have a go, it isn't that hard and if you need any advice, just give me a shout. Thanks for the compliment, anyway! :)

Just remembered, a guy called NathanL IIRC was the one who put the idea into my head (and he did a damn fine job of his shelf, too). You could try asking him?

Taff107 14 October 2004 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
What about a possible group buy Taff??? :) ;)

How many? 30,000+, I'll give up my current job! :norty: :)

KJD Mk1 15 October 2004 12:07 AM

Taff ,I cant cut a broom handle in half stright so I got no chance of making a shelf. Any chippys on scoobynet?.......please:notworthy

killa 15 October 2004 12:09 PM

Do u raelly want some 6 by 9 s' don't u think it may be easier to get some uprated speakers in the doors, i got a quote for around 60 quid and 25 for fitting, for the front ones, also if u have more powerful speakers the std head unit may not sound that good and a amp may be needed or changing the head unit. If u look around u may get a better deal, but 6 9 s' do sound good if fitted properly and much better with an amp on a larger ice install.

Taff107 15 October 2004 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by killa
Do u raelly want some 6 by 9 s' don't u think it may be easier to get some uprated speakers in the doors, i got a quote for around 60 quid and 25 for fitting, for the front ones, also if u have more powerful speakers the std head unit may not sound that good and a amp may be needed or changing the head unit. If u look around u may get a better deal, but 6 9 s' do sound good if fitted properly and much better with an amp on a larger ice install.

It goes without saying that you've got to change the crap factory h/unit which never sounds good. I've put Infinity 605 components in the front doors and the 9603 6x9s in the rear shelf driven by a 4ch amp, all driven by a Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP3 player. (and it sounds damn good! :) )

..Oops, forgot the heavy coating of Dynamat too!

JockyTT 23 October 2004 12:11 AM

Oops coming to this a bit late but....

The alternative to Taff and Nathan's above shelf mount is the under shelf mount which is possible. We discussed this a while ago on this thread where I showed how I did it.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=294011

Admittedly I was fitting 6x9 subs but the principle is the same. The benefit of subs over regular 6x9s is that it adds bass whilst not drawing the soundstage rearwards, but that is only my preference.

Steve

Taff107 23 October 2004 12:38 AM

Jocky, That is neat. - Good job