Speakers in MY05

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2004, 03:03 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers in MY05

To all

A word of warning if you have or intend to purchase a MY05 WRX. The reskinned door panels taken from the Liberty (I think) are different to the normal ones. Thus while the size of speakers in the front are the same (6 1/4"), they cannot be as deep. So the fantastic Boston Acoustics speakers I have used in my previous Porche's and MY00 classic which fitted fine cannot fit! Aaaaggghhhh. What a waste. Cannot beleive it, but basically they, are most other speakers, are too deep, so I had to find some which are not as deep. Certainly others fit, but the window cannot go down the full way - what a sh*t.

Just be warned...
Andy
Old 07 October 2004, 07:37 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

How deep can you go. I'd planned to fit a set of 5s with a mounting depth of 60mm; is this still too much?
Old 07 October 2004, 09:08 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Not even if you use a spacer to get the speaker out a bit? Or does it touch the inside door panel then?

Not familiar with the 05 doors, are they different to 03?
Old 07 October 2004, 09:10 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Mo

Unfortunately yes - it's a total sh*t. I have the speakers out of the car now and new ones in, and the standard speakers are sooo thin it's amazing. This is only on the MY05 though - must stress this. The door panel is slightly thinner where the speaker grill is, thus making a smaller depth necessary. In the end, of all the speakers available in the shop (and they are a good place) were some Pioneer's with a mounting depth of 55mm (17cm size). My Boston's were 62mm and that was too much and I am pretty sure 60's will be. It still needed an MDF mount made, but any deeper than about 56mm meant they impeded upon the drivers door window thus restricting this going all the way down - it is the same in the rears BUT of course as the rears do not go all the way dow, there is not this issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as MY05 is soo new, it ain't good. The better news was that the system still sounds great now in my car...
Andy

Last edited by mightyyid; 07 October 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07 October 2004, 10:22 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh, that sucks I think Kenwood do some really shallow speakers, but I don't know what they sound like...

Good job that your system sounds alright anyway :-)
Old 07 October 2004, 11:03 PM
Lucky Man
Scooby Regular

Default How big ?

Andy

If i am going to replace the front speakers in the 05 what are the maximum diameter and depths I need to look for !

Pete
Old 08 October 2004, 09:27 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Pete
You should definately replace them - you'll be shocked at what comes out. AFAIK, the max depth is about 55 mm or thereabouts. 60mm is too big, so you need to check whatever you get does those. Most speakers that are any good do have fairly deep backs, so it does limit you. We managed to find some decent Pioneer's (TS-H1704), high-grade custom fit, which have a depth of 55mm and are 17cm in size and they fitted - just! These are 17cm ones as well. 6" or thereabouts is your maximum diameter but it's the depth that you need to worry about mainly as this is your biggest factor.
Old 09 October 2004, 08:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Oh, *****. So my Dynaudio 240GT's (62mm depth) won't fit then?

This is the door from the Japanese STI - is it the same?

Isn't it possible to chop out the factory grille and mount the speakers on thicker spacers, using the new grilles to cover the speaker and hole? Might just need to bond the grille to the rim of the hole with some gunk to stop the door card vibrating, but it could look OK.

I'd certainly rather do that and have free choice of speakers than stick with the £99 Sony XS-HT170SN which, at 55mm, are about the only ones I can find that look as though they'll definitely fit otherwise.
Old 09 October 2004, 09:31 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Andy
Same door panel (sorry chap) so suspect you'll have the same problem. 62 mm will be too much (my Boston's were 64mm). I spoke to the guys in the shop and like most things, a bit of cutting and you could get away with it - but you would need to come out of the door rather than into it as the restricting factor is the window when it drops down. Thus the panels are thinner in this model, therefore if you want these speakers in, you'll need to cut out the existing grill. If you are willing to do this, you'll be OK.

The Pioneer's I have are good and although not as good as my Boston Acoustics, do the job for me. All depends what you are looking for.

Bit of a bugger really - we are paying the price for these new MY05 cars that very few people have had a chance to play with.
Andy
Old 09 October 2004, 09:46 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thanks - but what a bummer, eh?

I'm particularly upset because I bought the Dyns (together with an amp specifically to drive them) on the strength of a cheery recommendation from the installer that there were no real restrictions on speaker sizes, provided the diameter was about right. To be fair, there were no '05 cars in the country at the time, but I'll certainly hold them to their quote. I'd rather have the door cards chopped and covered with a nice black metal grille than dump my rather nice speakers for something cheap & nasty but thin. I've been looking forward to this stereo almost as much as the car!
Old 10 October 2004, 09:39 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Thanks - but what a bummer, eh?

I'm particularly upset because I bought the Dyns (together with an amp specifically to drive them) on the strength of a cheery recommendation from the installer that there were no real restrictions on speaker sizes, provided the diameter was about right. To be fair, there were no '05 cars in the country at the time, but I'll certainly hold them to their quote. I'd rather have the door cards chopped and covered with a nice black metal grille than dump my rather nice speakers for something cheap & nasty but thin. I've been looking forward to this stereo almost as much as the car!
Agree - give it a go. Although I have no reason to disbeleive my installers, they may do things differently to others who may be able to fit them. However, I think the best thing to do is to change the door panels given you love the speakers so much. Just wait till you see the standard ones that come out - my how you'll laugh!!! Not only are they thin, they must weigh about 3 ounces. I've seen better magnets in Xmas crackers!

Andy
Old 10 October 2004, 10:05 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Will talk to them next week and see how they get on.

Sadly with mine being a Japanese model it doesn't come with a stereo at all, so I don't get to laugh at what comes out - although the ones that came out of my MY00 were bad enough.

It still seems very odd that the doors would have been designed that way. In the US and Japan there are supposed 'premium' audio options available from the factory, and the door card does look as though it's been designed to allow a decent sized speaker to be fitted. The fact there's a tweeter grille provided suggests that they must have expected people to want decent quality speakers.
Old 11 October 2004, 09:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to my installer - he's fitted speakers in MY05's already and claims there's no problem...

So, I guess I just need to wait and see - if they fit OK I'll ask how he did it.
Old 11 October 2004, 04:40 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Interesting - as I say, it must be fairly new to them all. Not sure how many MY05's there are out there given the first ones on the road were only their one week ago. Maybe the speakers he fitted were thin ones anyway, and I'm sure he cannot have done more than one MY05 in a week when many dealers have not even had any delivered yet... who knows though - it remains to be seen!!! Good luck anyway..
Andy
Old 11 October 2004, 06:41 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Default DA DAAAA

Focal poly kevlar 1`65 k2 fitted 72 mm mounting depth
Old 11 October 2004, 08:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

So, does your window open all the way?

That doesn't look especially complex, although there's some nice woodwork there. Any idea what the perceived problem might have been?
Old 12 October 2004, 01:18 AM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
So, does your window open all the way?

That doesn't look especially complex, although there's some nice woodwork there. Any idea what the perceived problem might have been?
the windows opens all the way and the screw on the top right gives the woofer clearance from the door card. you do have to cut the plastic ring away from the back of the door card though (10 mins with a stanley knife). There is a company in america that makes theese rings out of FG for about £30 a set they have been mentioned on this board before but there name escapes me at the moment. the only small prob you have is putting the card back on I trapped a peice of 10mm foam between the door and card to stop vibration and the refit was very tight a few new tight clips helped keep the card on with no vibration.
hope this helps
Jamie also try http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=306460

Last edited by PROBLEMCHILD75; 12 October 2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12 October 2004, 08:13 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Looks like my chaps have been talking through the wrong hole...

Thnaks fellas - may need to have a wee chat with them...

Andy
Old 12 October 2004, 08:10 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Are we on about the same thing here, link on the above thread says 'MY03' front speakers???
Old 12 October 2004, 11:37 PM
richto
Scooby Regular

www.audioscape.co.uk - speak to James - they will make you beautiful custom door pods that look like they were part of the original door for whatever size speaker you want within reason. They angle them too, and include tweeter mounts, etc. as desired.

I just got 2 pairs of Seas Lotus front and rear in custom builds
Old 15 October 2004, 08:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Mightyvid

Are you still using the std head unit?

If so how much better does it sound with better speakers (Pioneer's (TS-H1704)?

I'm desperate to improve the sound as it's awfal at moment! I was intending to upgrade just the speakers hoping this will help! onder2:

How easy is the door card to get off on a MY05?

I think the guys at Subaru must have crap hearing as the cars horn is even worse than the hifi (I've heard better horns on a morris 1000!). Thats already been changed for something with a bit more grunt!

Cheers,

Jason

PS are the rears the same diameter?
Old 26 October 2004, 01:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've just had a call to say that my Dynaudios fitted perfectly into the doors of my MY05 STI and that I can pick up the car tomorrow - so maybe there's nothing to worry about after all. I'll ask if any special technique was required.
Old 26 October 2004, 01:46 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Jesus Andy about time too m8 ! Lets see some pice when you get her !
Old 26 October 2004, 02:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

*sigh* I know! Blame our wonderful Government with their tiresome regs on SVA and model reports, the car has been in the country for months. Photos to follow
Old 26 October 2004, 05:23 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Bloody government !

I bet you dont sleep much 2night m8, enjoy it
Old 26 October 2004, 05:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I bet you dont sleep much 2night
That's what the barrel of home brew is for