ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Reasonable price front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2004, 05:50 PM
zoton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable price front speakers

I have recently upgraded the CD Tuner and it far outstrips the speakers. I really don't want to fully re wire....so please could someone humour me with an answer to a simple question...

I would like to change the standard fronts with a better quality speaker. Any recommodations?

Is the wiring for the tweekers ready to go when the car wasn't fitted with them? And is it worth fitting them?

Thanks

Mark
Old 12 September 2004, 08:19 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zoton
I have recently upgraded the CD Tuner and it far outstrips the speakers. I really don't want to fully re wire....so please could someone humour me with an answer to a simple question...

I would like to change the standard fronts with a better quality speaker. Any recommodations?

Is the wiring for the tweekers ready to go when the car wasn't fitted with them? And is it worth fitting them?

Thanks

Mark
I put some alpine components in mine matey,very good sound and only cost £80 with x-overs and tweeters,you will need some 5.25" speakers to fit and ask your local ice dealer for some speaker pockets to stop the speakers catching the windows when they are down

mark
Old 13 September 2004, 10:28 PM
zoton
Scooby Regular

Mark

Thanks mate just what I need to hear.
Old 14 September 2004, 11:07 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

What year Scoob are the speakers for as the classic uses 6" or 6.5" speakers. I've got Infinity 605 cs's in mine and rate them very highly indeed. As with most components you get the door subs, crossovers & tweeters They are 6.5".

Have a look here for details:

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Infini...ence_REF_605CS

Not sure if you can still get as they must have upgraded their components by now. They were about £110 online when I got them about 3yrs ago

MAFFA
Old 15 September 2004, 08:08 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

infinity 6000cs fit a scooby no problems.
Look

I put the crossovers under the dash.
Old 15 September 2004, 10:46 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

That's the tweeter isn't it? Kinda defeats the object of having components if the tweeter is down there IMHO as you might as well have 3 ways.

In a classic there's a plastic triangle shaped bit on the inside if the door where the wing mirror is positioned. I highly recommend you mount the tweeters there so that the sound is directed at head height.

I mounted the crossover with tie wraps inside the door. There is room behind the door card near the front of the door but dont put it inside the door or you'll not be able to close the window . Then run the wires up the inside of the door to the tweeters. I've noticed a number of other scoobs that have mounted the tweeters this way so i'd say it's probably the preferred method.

Hope this helps. If I get my car back from the garage tomorrow i'll take some pics & show you how I did it

MAFFA
Old 18 September 2004, 06:28 PM
zoton
Scooby Regular

MAFFA et al

That would be great if you get a moment to post.
I should have said the car is a classic....nevertheless that is a classy looking fit.
I am definately looking to put tweeters in spare grills

Mark
Old 18 October 2004, 03:12 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Maffa,

I'm thinking of getting some 6000CS components for my MY98 front doors; have you had a chance to take some pictures yet?

*****, all I get is a timeout on your pics

Cheers,
Steve
Old 18 October 2004, 11:07 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

infinity all the way... position tweeters on top of the dash in the far corners, so the sound bounces off the screen to delay the sound, x-overs under the dash.

I also agree with the mounting of the tweeters in the footwells, yes, they are positioned lower, but there is also more chance of the time delay being similar, for better imaging.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:37 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

S+B=F, you wouldn't recommend putting the tweeters behind the empty grille by the door handle then?

Sorry if that's a numptie question, but this is my first ever ICE upgrade on a car (ah, bless!)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 19 October 2004, 03:28 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Easiest is behind the grilles near the door handles. That way the woofer, tweeter and crossovers all fit in the door and you don't have to run any further cables through the door.

My other car has the tweeters below and in front of the woofers. I read some psycho-acoustic babble on talk-audio so decided to give it a go. Sounds far better than when the tweeters were above the woofers.

J.