ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

WRX Install

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2004, 02:08 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Install

Hi, I've just bought a 2003 Impreza WRX, and having removed all the ICE from my old car im basically gonna try and whip it all in to the subaru.

The equipment will basically involve a head unit, some comps, some rear speakers, a sub and 2 amps. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice before i launch myself into this. Obviously im gonna have to get a single din fascia, any links to where these are available from? Is the standard head unit a pain to get out, whats the space like behind it? cos i had trouble fitting my new headunit in where the original was in my old car cos it was too long.

Also are there any best ways to run wiring from the amps to the headunit? how do i go about getting to the speakers, cos i had a very quick look and the grilles didnt seem to easy to remove?

Basically any advice of problems, or helpfull hints anyone can give me before i start this would be really aprreciated cos the last thing i wanna do is break anything or spend hours trying to work something in one way which could be done very easily another.

Cheers
Old 27 August 2004, 09:05 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Check the FAQ at the top of this forum - there's loads of advise and it would be best to read up there.

The standard head unit is a doddle to come out. Yeah you'l need a single DIN blank - again covered on here - an option is the pocket from the Forester cos it has an opening flap on it - this has been mentioned recently on here.

Speakers - er the grills don''t come off - you got to take the door card off which is reasonably straightforward. Not much space inside ddor for deep speakers so you'll probably have to make MDF collars - again great advice on here - check my recent post - can't rememebr what it's heading was but had "tweeters" in the title - if I can do it anyone can!!!!

Worse bit for me was getting the door handle surrounds off - made a dogs dinner of it so will need a new one.

Ian
Old 27 August 2004, 10:40 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Up North: Novice to expert in two easy stages. LOL

Just like me, once you have done it you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Joek101: When I did my simple ICE install I wondered why did they do this and that.

In the end it was so easy to copy what everybody had done what with the speakes/collers/forester pocket etc.

And it all works lovely, aint worth going over the top with expense, because the Scooby isn’t the best place to listen to music. But I was not going to listen to the standard unit, not no way!

Very pleased with my little upgrade, see top thread sticky

Paul, Ajax