Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY99 no fr tweeter brackets/holes, etc?!

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2004, 08:40 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 no fr tweeter brackets/holes, etc?!

Hi folks,

Having previously tinkered with the rear speakers, I thought it high time I tackled the more significant front install.

However, I'm a bit confused. Although I have a MY99 UK car with the tweeter grills, etc, there are no mounting brackets, or even holes for brackets - is this normal?!

Are parts available from Subaru, or is it a knife and fork job?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 08 August 2004, 05:39 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a 'kit' available from Subaru, don't ask me for a part no though, cos I ain't got a clue!!
Old 08 August 2004, 06:49 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

I'm in exactly the same boat with my 2004 JDM STi. All I got is a pathetic "thing" for a speeaker at the bottom of the door, this is fed from the head unti and a wire comes back off it up to the tweeter....connector plug - but i got no tweeters and no brackets. So I mad emy own - get some bendy metal and mainly by trial and error made a bracket to screw my CDT's onto.

Ian
Old 08 August 2004, 10:16 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

hi ya, had same problem when fitting my front components, ended up placing the tweeters inside the door mirrors, better place for it to be honest (ear level ish) I ended up buying these http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1204

mid range fitted perfectly, no brackets, no spacers, the tweeter was the pain in the a$$ because i didnt have the bracket.
Old 09 August 2004, 08:11 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPPscooby
hi ya, had same problem when fitting my front components, ended up placing the tweeters inside the door mirrors, better place for it to be honest (ear level ish) I ended up buying these http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1204

mid range fitted perfectly, no brackets, no spacers, the tweeter was the pain in the a$$ because i didnt have the bracket.
Out of curiosity, did you fit them to a classic, or new age car?

If it was a classic, did you re-use the factory plastic mount, or did you make up an mdf adaptor/spacer? If possible, I'd like to retain the plastic mount because it offers excellent water protection for the speaker, but the standard speaker mounting holes are on a 142mm pcd which seems too small for a 6"-6.5" driver and too big for a 5.25" driver?

I will certainly give Subaru a call to see if the brackets are available on their own (from the OEM tweeter kit), otherwise it looks like a job for a strip of bent metal and some self-tappers...
Old 15 August 2004, 01:02 AM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

on a MY99 classic mate, used the original plastic mount, the original screw holes are in the correct place so no drilling either. With the speakers i bought (see link above) they provided a thin metal adapter ring, which goes between the plastic mount and the new speaker. Couldnt be easier.

I did alot of chasing around for the tweeter bracket as it means a tidier install, Subaru would sell a OEM tweeter kit, but it was around £30 / 40 ( a bit too much as i was only going to use the metal brackets) but couldnt find one. I know a P1 has the tweeter bracket fitted as standard, so if u can find a breaking one.
Old 16 August 2004, 08:17 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Many thanks mate! A job for the coming weekend... !