ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

And I was just talking......

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 01:56 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry And I was just talking......

And I was just talking about up-grading my sounds in the car when some clever W@@K@R rips the aerial off the roof. Can you believe that? What a tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 August 2004, 02:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

well, at least you've got a reason to upgrade now...
Old 03 August 2004, 07:06 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Some bar-stool has had a go at mine as well, bloody bend them in two if I catch them, local kids no doubt. Total swine to replace as well.

Or is it a conspiracy by Subaru to get rid of some old roof mount aerials

Last edited by BigRed; 03 August 2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04 August 2004, 09:30 AM
murfs
Scooby Regular

anyone got any idea how much it's going to be to replace one?
Old 04 August 2004, 10:24 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

can you upgrade the aerial on a classic? and what with?
Old 17 August 2004, 07:29 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 18 August 2004, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Two options: either buy a replacement from a subaru dealer, or fit another after market aerial like a Hirschmann or something.

I've gone for the hirschmann option because my radio reception was crap in the 03 wagon. Drilling an 18mm hole on your roof is a scary prospect, so you may want to pay someone to do it.
Old 19 August 2004, 02:47 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Didn't think this was still going.
Got a bee sting type aerial, one off a VW Golf (???). Dont ask me yet how it's going to work, or if it will work. I've got to figure out how to remove the roof trim yet. Looks like there are some metal spring clips which I could pull but......? What next will I break them, will I strain the roof, I dont know!
I've asked for advice on it here but it looks like no one knows or they're shy with the info.
Old 19 August 2004, 07:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Murfs, ask and it shall be given unto you

I fitted mine myself... What year and what style (saloon or wagon) have you got?
Old 19 August 2004, 08:43 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

MY96 WRX wagon JDM. All advice will be gratefully accepted. Thanks chiark.
Old 20 August 2004, 10:25 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wagon - right then. Remove the bit of trim that's at the back of the roof when you open the tail. There's probably about two screw-in thingies holding the roof lining up too above the back seats - not sure on this one, but if they're there, they need to be removed.

You can either butcher the job, and bend the roof lining like I did then find that once bent, the creases never ever come out, or you can do it properly and remove the whole lining. I'd honestly say that it's worth it. You'll need to remove the bits of trim around the windows, and top of the doors to do this. It should all be obvious as to what needs to come out to get these off. Mine's an 03 so it won't be exactly the same.

While you're at it, remove the A-pillar trim (windscreen), as you'll need to run the aerial cable down there.

If you need any more info, shout, but it's fairly easy to get the roof lining off providing you take all the supporting bits off...
Old 20 August 2004, 10:37 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not quite that easy on the phase 1 wagons.. the roof lining is glued to the roof.. seat belts need to come out to remove all the panels, + rear seats out..

MAJOR JOB. Not for the feint hearted
Old 20 August 2004, 10:44 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

If you're putting a bee-sting aerial on - what do you intend to do to tidy up the area where the aerial is now?
Old 20 August 2004, 11:27 AM
murfs
Scooby Regular

well there is, or was, a bee sting aerial on before messiah, however the new one as I said is off a vw golf and is a bit smaller than the oem and it also has only one mounting screw. I'm in the dark at the moment and it wont be clear until everything is out. By the way lads thanks for the suggestions. There's push fittings on the roof that just pull out, they're visible on the lining. However it's the poxy hidden clips under the hard trimming around the rear hatch that are the problem. If I pull them they will strain they're female halves. Which are part of the framing. I'll have to have a stab at it. Wish me luck!
Murfs
Old 20 August 2004, 11:44 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

bee sting already? lucky! been think of doing it to my MY00 saloon but I'd be left with patch to paint in above drivers door.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Aye, that's true David: you need to remove seat belt mountings on the WRX, too, but it isn't a major job.

DIdn't realise that it was glued - my apologies. It wasn't on mine...
Old 20 August 2004, 06:05 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up job done

With the rear seat backs out and the seatbelt mounting off on the right side it makes the job a whole lot easier. I also unscrewed the pnuematic ram for the rear hatch as this makes taking the trim off easier and of course fitting it back on. The trim panels can be pulled down and off but the one around the rear door right needs to come off only towards the rear to enable the trim around the rear quarter window to come off. Once this is off then take the trim on the roof lining at the hatch opening off. The lining will drop down enough to get the aerial mounting off and the new one on. I used a bit of sealant aswell because the new mounting only had one screw as opposed to four on the OEM along with a locating dowel.

All working now but I'm left with a crack on one of the panels, bloody marvellous.
Thanks for the help lads

Murfs