MY99 wagon f spkr depth & r spkr options

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 08:30 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 wagon f spkr depth & r spkr options

Hi folks,

I am new to the forum, but I see the subject of rear speakers in a classic wagon hasn't been mentioned for at least a couple of weeks !!

I have two questions:

1. The rear speakers in my MY99 5dr are mounted in the rear doors. I'm fully expecting them to be some queer Subaru exclusive size/shape, but does anyone know what size off-the-shelf speaker will fit in the aperture? I'm not afraid to get covered in MDF dust, but I don't want to mail order something that's going to hit the window or bow the door card!

2. Looking at Chiark's mightily helpful website and reading some of the threads here, I gather that a 6.5" driver can be shoe-horned into the front door, but what is the maximum mounting depth you can get away with - again, without hitting the window or distorting the door card?? I have been considering Alpine's SPR 176A's, but they have a quoted mounting depth of 70mm which I fear may be OTT??!

Sorry to raise these dull questions again, no doubt the regulars are sick of them...

Looking forward to a reference table of car vintages and speaker locations & options !!
Old 08 July 2004, 07:22 PM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Default Answers and more questions!

Hi all,

Surprised no one responded to this?!

Anyhow, took the plunge today and removed the rear door cards - exactly the same procedure given by Chiark on his website for removal of the front door trims. Door handle surround was a tad fiddly, otherwise a piece of cake!

The standard speakers are 10cm, housed in a substantial plastic splash guard. The mounting hole centres are on a Ø120mm PCD. I am not too bothered about rear speakers, so I decided to stick with 10cm (plus I just happened to have a half decent pair of 2-way coax 10cm's kicking around anyway ;-) Note; not all 10cm speakers will fit, but Alpine do a model (SPE 1002) that should drop straight in. The tweeters in the centre of my speakers are proud of the speaker surround by 13.8mm and they just foul the speaker grill in the door trim. The Alpine's are only proud by 10.8mm, so you might just get away with no contact!

Incidentally, there is no rear depth restriction because the window stops well above the speaker magnet.

I haven't looked at the front's yet - rain stopped play!! But having found that tweeters sticking out just 13.8mm are catching the rear door trim, what is the limit at the front before the same problem is encountered?! I have read all the chat about custom MDF mounts, but surely these must be perilously close to, if not touching the door card grille???
Old 08 July 2004, 09:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I got 72mm depth into the front using original pods (hacked up) and 12mm of mdf on top. Door cards were a bit tight!
Old 08 July 2004, 11:32 PM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
I got 72mm depth into the front using original pods (hacked up) and 12mm of mdf on top. Door cards were a bit tight!
Thanks chiark! I will attack the front speakers when weather, time and funds permit. From what you say, a mounting depth of 63mm should be ok with perhaps the standard mount (modified) plus a 6mm spacer?! I don't really want to bend or stress the door card and I certainly don't want my speakers to take a shoeing from the window!!!