ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD autochanger

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 12:05 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD autochanger

Has anyone connected a Kenwood CD autochanger other than the one listed in the options section of there website, the reason i ask is i have a MY04 WRX wagon and i tried a old Kenwood CD autochanger i had and it powered it up but it would not work so was wondering if any of the new Kenwood CD autochangers work with the Subaru branded Kenwood headunit.
Old 02 July 2004, 12:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Here, take a few of these -> ..........

I know for a fact that most/all CD changers work with the 03. it is possible that something changed in the 04 unit to bring the unit in line with the rest of the kenwood line up, which seems to want a changer made in 2001 or later to work.

Hopefully someone who has an 04 model will shed light on this?
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 03 July 2004, 01:25 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Any more views
Old 03 July 2004, 04:47 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
Any more views
Might not be what u want to hear, but I just got a new changer - fitted it to my old head unit and no joy... then I noticed, inside the flap under where the magazine slots in, there is a little teeny-tiny swith marked "N - O" , or New / Old. a flick to OLD and it worked. My thoughts here are that the old changers simply won't work wiv a new head.

if anyone's got a new regular changer, you could test it, as the cables are still the same.

regards

Mikey
Old 12 August 2004, 09:29 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Has anyone connected a Kenwood CD autochanger other than the one listed in the options section of there website, the reason i ask is i have a MY04 WRX wagon and i tried a old Kenwood CD autochanger i had and it powered it up but it would not work so was wondering if any of the new Kenwood CD autochangers work with the Subaru branded Kenwood headunit.
Went to my local ICE dealer (Advance Vehicle Alarms in Lewisham) the other day as they got a Kenwood 10 disc autochanger in for me to try (thanks Sam) and it does work with my headunit, just thought i'd let you lot know incase someone else wants to fit a autochanger to there standard headunit.
Old 14 September 2004, 07:27 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Went to my local ICE dealer (Advance Vehicle Alarms in Lewisham) the other day as they got a Kenwood 10 disc autochanger in for me to try (thanks Sam) and it does work with my headunit, just thought i'd let you lot know incase someone else wants to fit a autochanger to there standard headunit.
Hi mate. what changer was it you got? I'm wanting to fit something in my 04. Was the cabling all there from the factory or did you have to route it? What about mounting?
Old 14 September 2004, 08:45 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zerolight
Hi mate. what changer was it you got? I'm wanting to fit something in my 04. Was the cabling all there from the factory or did you have to route it? What about mounting?
I used a Kenwood KDC-C719MP 10 disc CD/MP3 autochnger, you have to route the cable yourself which is supplied with the autochanger and i put mine under the drivers seat and i have no problems with it jumping at all.
Old 14 September 2004, 09:00 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

I used a Kenwood KDC-C719MP 10 disc CD/MP3 autochnger, you have to route the cable yourself which is supplied with the autochanger and i put mine under the drivers seat and i have no problems with it jumping at all.
how did you mount it? did you have to drill through the floor pan?
i assume that it can't play MP3's though because the head unit isn't compatible?

thanks for the info
Old 14 September 2004, 09:19 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

how did you mount it? did you have to drill through the floor pan?
i assume that it can't play MP3's though because the head unit isn't compatible?

thanks for the info
Yes it plays MP3's as it's the autochanger that does the decoding and the headunit will display all the track numbers (most of my MP3 CD's have about 80 tracks on them and the headunit will display that), as for fitting well at first i was gonna drill but i could not bring myself to do it so in the end i got some carpet tape (the really strong sticky stuff) put a couple of strips on the autochanger then i got some velcro, stuck one half of the velcro to the autochanger and the velcro grips the carpet under the seat and i've no problems with it jumping or moving about.
Old 14 September 2004, 09:23 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Yes it plays MP3's as it's the autochanger that does the decoding and the headunit will display all the track numbers (most of my MP3 CD's have about 80 tracks on them and the headunit will display that), as for fitting well at first i was gonna drill but i could not bring myself to do it so in the end i got some carpet tape (the really strong sticky stuff) put a couple of strips on the autochanger then i got some velcro, stuck one half of the velcro to the autochanger and the velcro grips the carpet under the seat and i've no problems with it jumping or moving about.
cool. thanks man. are you able to browse folders from the headunit, or is it better not to use folders on the discs?
Old 14 September 2004, 09:45 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

cool. thanks man. are you able to browse folders from the headunit, or is it better not to use folders on the discs?
On the MP3 CD's I've got i haven't used any folders, i might try a CD's with folders as if i remember properly i think the manual says it can read upto 8 levels of folders (gonna rush off to find the manual)
Old 14 September 2004, 03:31 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

On the MP3 CD's I've got i haven't used any folders, i might try a CD's with folders as if i remember properly i think the manual says it can read upto 8 levels of folders (gonna rush off to find the manual)
it will if the head unit has a pause button. but does it? i'm not sure it does.
Old 14 September 2004, 03:45 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

it will if the head unit has a pause button. but does it? i'm not sure it does.
I think your right there it doesn't