ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ATTENTION - ICE ADVICE WANTED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2001, 02:57 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scooby owners of the world,

i have a 1995 scooby and am needing a loud but not window shattering sound system installed.

i was thinking about 6x9'2 in front doors, 7x10's on rear shelf, then 2 x 12 inch subs in either corner of boot, and 2 x 4 channel amps or maybe alpine v12's. thats to go with the 10 disc cd autochanger and cassette deck up front.

is it possible to get an autochanger in the glove box of a scooby???

now is that sounding good?? i would love it if someone who knows the crack to email me with exactly what i should do to my car to get the pumpin tunes. as i say, i want it loud and lotsa bass but i dont wana have to start sound proofing the car!!

if anyone has pics of their ice installs i would love to see them all!!

oh, and what size are the standard speakers in the front doors of scooby's? are they 6 inch???

all emails are welcome to hoof_hearted69@hotmail.com

cheers!!!!
Old 25 July 2001, 03:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Welcome, and congratulations on an excellent desire

6x9s in the front will be difficult and will involve cutting metal, or making an extremely unstealthy install... You don't want to give people any more reason to break into these things, so I'd stick with a 6 or 6.5" behind the standard door cards.

Rear will fit some 6x9s without cutting, but not 7x10s without either metal cutting or looking like a pimple sticking up on the parcel shelf - again saying "STEAL ME!"

Cd changers - you may be able to fit a tiny 6 disc changer in there, but you can fit anything up to a kenwood 10 disc changer under the passenger seat...

You WILL have to soundproof the boot, otherwise it will rattle like a rattly think in rattlesville. Soundproofing doors will also help vastly. These things are built out of recycled coke cans.

For pics of my ice install, see
Old 25 July 2001, 05:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have emailed you. Come and listen to mine - will give you ideas for minimal budget install and you can see what you think. Would say more, but contact me and we'll talk.
Old 25 July 2001, 07:26 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,

you have mail!!

thanks for the reply.
Old 25 July 2001, 07:27 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

chiark,

cheers for the reply. im just about to go to that site of yours.

thanks for the advice, i may call upon u again if thats okay wiv you.
Old 31 July 2001, 07:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Right then, Barry came round and had a listen. I think he liked the front speakers (Infinity 605CS) and headunit, but is considering the automatic mask versions e.g. Kenwood 7090R (mine 5080R). He also seemed to like the sub (Pioneer TSW205 bandpass box), despite me saying it might not be accurate/musical enough, but once he heard/felt the volume, I think he was converted.

Two questions for you guys:

1) If he wanted to go for a single sealed or ported 12" how much power do you think he would need to get the same SPL as my sub - it is supposed to deliver 129dB at 100WRMS and it does sound like it too. I drive it with a rated 150WRMS. From systems I have heard before I reckon over 500WRMS if sealed - what do you guys think? What sort of amp to drive it - how about MTX Thunder Class D effort?? Of course he would get much improved musicality and low freq extension from a sealed box, and since he likes dance music this may be the one for him.

2) My Kenwood amp (KAC 848) doesn't have enough power to make the most of the front speakers (amp 50WRMS rated x 4, speakers 90W rate 270W peak) and so I run it bridged (150WRMS x 2) and it seems to be plenty for these speakers and I never hear distortion. Any suggestions of a four channel amp that will give 100WRMS clean at 14.4V but at 4 ohms so that Barry could use only two channels for the fronts, and save two for the sub - which would only need 100-150W if the bandpass box, but possibly much more if he goes for a sealed/ported design. Another option of course is a separate monoblock, or a 5/6 channel. I want him to get a good amp so that he can use it for future install. He knows about the really crap amps in max-power already - Legacy, XS etc.

Barry says he wouldn't mind if I just did in his car what I did in mine, but his budget is a bit more generous £1000. Given that, and the fact I am a bit older and wiser now, I want us to get it better than mine is. I know if I was going for it again I would go for the same headunit, but I might consider more powerful front speakers, and PG/RF/SS/MTX amps. Honestly don't know if I would go for the bandpass sub again, I am still quite pleased with it, and I know a sealed/ported would require way more power.

Thoughts all appreciated guys. Barry's genuine priority seems to be 1) SPL, 2) SQ & looks, whereas his mates are 1) SPL 2) looks 3) SPL! I say more power to him (quite literally), a bit of SPL is cool. He likes meets where the boots are open and the subs going. Asked me what it sounded like outside the car/boot open - I genuinely had no idea, but rest assurred it sounded very crap indeed. Hints on how to improve this appreciated - sox in the spoiler etc etc. Inside the car, it sounds vibe-free. This all makes me feel old - here was me going on about 4 pot brakes, turbo springs/dampers to go with his MY00 wheels and he was going on about P1 engine trasplants!

Thanks all, lets give Barry the coolest rig on the block.
Old 31 July 2001, 08:31 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Barry

If you want an amp that will do your front and back end then ebay has a PG 475ti for $525 (shipping =$75)

Would run front comps and bridge a sub until you can afford a 600 ti for the subs ($515)

Martin
Old 31 July 2001, 08:35 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

And here are the addresses..
Old 31 July 2001, 09:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Martin - he is a student working a summer job, so needs a few months to save (depending on when he buys the turbo bonnet!) - very efficient to give us a 2 hour auction though - and the wife is out at the gym... I must resist the strong temptations.

This PG really sounds nice doesn't it, but it is 4x75 at 14.4V, 4 ohm, but it is surely way under-rated and would make most comps work pretty hard? It doesn't quote for 1 ohm stereo or 2 ohm bridged (although says capable), but I guess it could go over 400WRMS at 2 ohm bridged, which would surely be quite a dose full of bass for a pair of 12" subs - I say a pair cos I don't know of any subs that would take that much - again any ideas? Any suitable dual voice coils? Is this amp too "nice" for Infinity 605CS - any suggestions for kicking dance music, considering the overall budget:

CD headunit £150
Wiring kit, sound-deadening £100
Amp £450 (if PG475Ti)
605CS £100
Sub - leaves £200 for box and sub...
Old 31 July 2001, 09:53 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

John

At the price it is a steal

I am still ampless after last weeks campaign

I am presently looking at the ss rubicon 604 (4x80w) which is basically an updated version of Nicks beast

I am also thinking about re-doing the boot as my sub boxes are far too large and are wsteful of space

Thought could have the amps side by side on the boot floor in an MDF surround with the subs right up against the back seat with a perspex panel......

Saw I really nice pic of a BM with 2 PG amps in the boot - very neat and glowed blue at night

Barry - you know you want one

Martin
Old 31 July 2001, 10:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Oh no, the resident bottom surgeon has gone all max power on us!!!! SOS!!! AAARRGGHGGGGHHTHHHHHHH!

(I'm just jealous)

Email me about the weekend?

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 05:21 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi guys.Haven't been on much,too busy.poor scoobydoc must be going nuts like myself;no sub for me till Aug 29th. Backordered.
If bazil can handle a 2.5 to 4 cubic foot box in his trunk(boot)he might want to consider a Shiva or Tempest.Not sure if they'll ship them there,but I'll help out if they don't.
These subs can be put in a ported box and work fine with the ports plugged.SQ and SPL.
John,Nick,please come and visit the madhouse we call
Old 01 August 2001, 05:26 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

oooppps,sorry.Wrong place.They changed it a while back and I forgot(what a bonehead,huh?)
This is the right one
Old 01 August 2001, 07:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Looks like a very good board, but I wouldn't have much to offer there - they would soon recognise me as a muppet, and there is not Impreza stuff I could find. I see you dragging your knuckles there though

Anyway, I'm too busy giving out drug advice in the general forum
Old 01 August 2001, 09:41 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Thats our John

What a commotion LOL!

The guy in the states is going to ship after I got the escrow people to convince him that I cover the shipping costs

So ss rubicon 502 here we come (hopefully)

Martin
Old 01 August 2001, 10:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

What a commotion I'm going to cause when I hear how good your SS system sounds and I have to beat you up to steal it from you

You have mail re the w/e.
Old 01 August 2001, 10:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Old 02 August 2001, 05:12 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Holy smokes John,we could use some drug advise at SI.Some need them,some need to get off of them. They're quite a bunch.As for a "muppet"(?),never.Lots of clowning around and good humor,but it's all in good fun.
Hey,they put up with my dumb a**!That's gotta say sumthin
Stop by sometime man.
Old 02 August 2001, 07:46 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

alright martin,

well i agree 100% with you!! i want one like the bm!!!
i also, want an mdf floor, carpeted nicely maybe in red or black with subaru written across. i want the letters as like lift up panels which will hide my 2 amps or 1 depending on if i go like Johns install. i then want prob 2 subs if i dont go for the pioneer like johns, right up against the back seat in nice perspex, or in each corner of the boot. i want lotsa HARD LOUD BASS for my dance tunes. oh, and lotsa nice glowing lights would be sweet too!!!

john mate, you think you could do all that???

oh, and question for you all. a mate of mine told me a nice place to put TWEETERS. Behind the front air vents, nearest the door. example, red ones behind so you can see them and no cutting would be needed in my car. now, there is an experiment for ya john!!!

write back fellow scoobys nuts!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scooby Doc:
<B>John

At the price it is a steal

I am still ampless after last weeks campaign

I am presently looking at the ss rubicon 604 (4x80w) which is basically an updated version of Nicks beast

I am also thinking about re-doing the boot as my sub boxes are far too large and are wsteful of space

Thought could have the amps side by side on the boot floor in an MDF surround with the subs right up against the back seat with a perspex panel......

Saw I really nice pic of a BM with 2 PG amps in the boot - very neat and glowed blue at night

Barry - you know you want one

Martin[/quote]

Old 02 August 2001, 08:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think you were on drugs when you wrote that Barry, or maybe you're just 19. That is not to sound patronising, I just feel so out of my depth with this style stuff at 26. You make me feel like an audiophile, and ScoobyDoc would be a grandad next to you m8. Right Barry, mmmmm. Now I would trust my jigsawing to stuff you couldn't see - ie. mdf spacers, undercarpet mounts etc - hell I even do skirting board We'll make a tart's parlour out of ya boot yet mate, and that's even before all the naked max power women jump into it and pose for those ridiculous photos that venerable publication often/always carries.

If you used the Pioneer sub box, I'm sure YOU could get handy with scissors, red fuzzy felt/carpet and copydex if that's you thing. Gosh, I even thought - how about some bright sheet metal put on top of the sub box with Subaru etched into it!??! You can do the arty stuff And you might need some use for your mum's iron and hairdryer depending on your level of ambition Apparently if you mount the sub box with the ports facing sideways - it emphasises "kick bass" - whatever they mean by that.

I think you are going to need some major amps/subs (pair) if you are going to try to get 130dB with sealed boxes. I think you'll get what you want from this Pioneer box, and it will save us a lot of hassle with perspex - which WILL rattle like a rattly thing in ratsville (deja vu). Trust me, if I touched perspex it would crack everywhere and look horrendous.

So: my suggestion is this:

A (to be decided) decent four channel amp with two channels bridged to run the Pioneer box which we could mount up against the back seats (yours don't fold) with the ports facing sideways. You could then decorate this to your heart's content - spray the ports. However, lights inside would of course change the box volume which is a definite no-no (seriously). The other two channels we use for your front speakers - suggest 605CS. Tweeters in the air vents could get a little warm?? Maybe we'll think about that one. Again, paint them red if you like - just the grilles mind and you'll have to be very careful. We could mount the amp on the sub box like I've done (shock horror I know), but I suspect this would be too tame. Trouble is if you start putting up enclosures you would benefit from fans and it gets a bit messy. Could mount it on the slope of the back seat next to the sub. Maybe you could use a cheapo carpeted sub enclosure (wedge type), enlarge the hole then flush mount the amp - would be space for a fan and lights and it would then present a vertical surface next to the Pioneer sub box. Maybe you'd be able to find a prefab sub box with lights/perpex etc, but I think it would be risky and you would lose on SQ and prob. SPL too. Just some ideas.
Old 02 August 2001, 09:19 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Grandad!

I'm going to have to find a weekend with some good weather to warm up the jigsaw

My sub boxes are not optimal size and I reckon I could have a more compact package - my neighbour keeps laughing at the amount of boot space I have - now that my spoiler has stopped vibrating (ish)

My (fingers crossed) pair of ss would look nice next to each other in the boot floor - no flashing lights though!

Johns advice about a 4 channel amp is good - they are always the best value and will run front comps and subs from the rear channel bridged

So Barry - you trust Mad John "Jigsaw" Banks with your precious scoob

Martin
Old 02 August 2001, 09:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I had to do this - see update thread. Best one I've seen so far. I am verging on muppetdom.

Old 02 August 2001, 09:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

no wonder Maplin discontinued it.

"
· 450W Peak Power
· Wedge Subwoofer Cabinet
· 1 x 12-inch Subwoofer
· Carpeted Enclosure
· Sealed Box for Deeper Bass
· Subwoofer protected by Grille "
{snip} thunderous bass {snip}!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02 August 2001, 09:33 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

LOL!

You clearly are not very busy are you John ?? :
Old 02 August 2001, 11:04 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

john, YOU HAVE WAY TO MUCH TIME ON UR HANDS!!! that wasnt quite what i meant but i guess ur a doc and not an artist after all!!

i think i woz on drugs b4!!! i woz getting carried away!!

oh, and the whole point of this great sound install is so I GET LOTSA NAKED BIRDS wanting pics taken on my car. i want my car to be in MAX POWER etc cos alot of the cars are ****. my car will look AND sound the bollox!!!

the mdf floor woulda been to hide the amp.

i cant handle all the technical stuff!!! u know way to much to complicate my wee young mind!!

i just want very loud, with great bass!!!

i think we will just copy ur install to begin with. 4 channel amp will do, might have to c bout alternative for powering the sub ie to replace the jensen (although the glow in the dark touch is NICE).

Old 02 August 2001, 11:05 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

tacky!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
<B>

no wonder Maplin discontinued it.

"
· 450W Peak Power
· Wedge Subwoofer Cabinet
· 1 x 12-inch Subwoofer
· Carpeted Enclosure
· Sealed Box for Deeper Bass
· Subwoofer protected by Grille "
{snip} thunderous bass {snip}!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Old 02 August 2001, 11:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well, we'll get it loud anyway. So the shopping list: Infinity 605CS, Kenwood V7090, Pioneer TSWX205, about 3 square metres of one inch thick foam (get from upholsterers), minimum 4 square metres sound deadening (talk to Jon at
Old 02 August 2001, 11:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Oh, sorry, also need 2x quality 5m phono leads, and a 5m length of blue single core wire for remote turn on. We can get the MDF as and when required and I have all the tools. May also want to use some of my underlay for under your boot carpet. Nothing else to think of right now.
Old 03 August 2001, 02:22 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Cool

By the sounds,he wants way more pound than a Pioneer will put out,even ported.Depending on the amp he gets,he could run a pair of 8 ohm 12's or 15's,ported,from that one channel.If he really wants to build a babe-magnet,he'll have to sacrifice some space.(unless of course he's got lots of money;then he could get a GZ Plutonium and it's PR in a small box,and probably get hurt )
Old 03 August 2001, 07:56 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think he was happy with the SPL of the Pioneer 129dB - threshold for hearing damage is about 130-140dB IIRC. However, if he is getting an amp that will handle 2 or even 1 ohm bridged, then a pair of 12" DVCs in ported box(es) could be the way to go? But good ported boxes are not cheap, and I'm not up to building one that would be sufficiently babelicious. If we could get prefab of the right volume and add the correct port then possibly, but the nice point of the Pioneer is the box and sub seem incredibly well matched and it really hits hard, cheap to buy and takes little power to kick up a real storm. However, budget is another consideration:

Heaunit 230
Front speakers 100
Accessories 100
Amp 400
Sub 70

We only have a further £100 in the budget to include MDF and any other accessories.

So, how to increase 1. SPL 2. SQ for same budget??

In terms of amps, of the ones listed above on the caraudiodirect links, only the Lightning and PG definitely have bass boost at 45Hz. This made a nice difference to my system with this sub - it does go lower with it on (or at least you can hear it!) The RFs might - need to look at the manuals.
Oh and make it 12m of speaker cable - 10 was a bit tight IIRC once you've wire the crossovers.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 03 August 2001).]

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - ICE ADVICE WANTED !!!