Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Wheres everyone got their tweets??

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 03:44 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got some Components for the front and want to know wheres the best place to put the tweeters. The cars a 93 WRX BTW.

Theyd look sweetest flush mounted into the doors, but wheres good??

Cheers

Richie
Old 29 October 2000, 04:21 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Before flush mounting anything, have a play. Mine work excellently on the triangles behind the wing mirrors. Others have success mounting in front of the midbass drivers.

Stupid as it sounds, blutak is a great tool to test to see what the image is like!

Have a play first, find where suits you and what angle sounds best, then try a more permanent mount.

Good luck!
Old 29 October 2000, 04:24 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chiark

Ive got the option of flush or surface mounting them, so Im not tied. They just look wicked flush mounted

Ive heard they sound good down next to the mids in the footwell....sounds strange but gives better image....illegedly

Thanks again
Ive gone for the Ultimate 6.5" components, Ill let you all know how they sound....supposed to be the doggies danglies

Richie
Old 29 October 2000, 07:05 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Where you mount those tweeters is up to you.If you're building this system for YOUR listening pleasure,put them where they please YOU.All you need is some two-sided tape or ductape and some time alone to dial them in and mount accordingly.
Just my opinion.
Old 29 October 2000, 09:02 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Yep, agreed.

There's three main places you can put them.

1) Co-axially with the main driver, i.e. in the footwell. Should give better directionality to the sound, but as most of the time they're hidden behind your/your passenger's legs, this isn't a popular place (generally).

2) In the door by the door handle. Convenient as invisible. Generally good surround of sound from them here, not great sound-staging though as the mounting point actually points the tweeters downwards slightly. Good if you like your music "in the background" when you're driving.

3) By the wing mirrors, sort of where a wing mirror adjusting **** would be if there was one . This gives the best sound staging and clearest sound, but can sound over-trebly if not set up right. I have mine here as this suits my listening style (i.e. listening <B>to</B> the music, rather than having it on as background).

Main thing is to play with the positions and see what you feel happiest with.

Cheers
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Gledhill (edited 29 October 2000).]