Pioneer/Genesis install tomorrow - any advice - MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 03:53 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pioneer/Genesis install tomorrow - any advice - MY03 WRX

Hello,

I am getting a Pioneer DEH-P77MP headunit (brushed aluminium quality unit without flashing lights) (getting it for £240) and a pair of 13" driver and component Genesis speakers in front (costing £150) with Brown Bread sound deadening etc fitted tomorrow.

Anything I should look out for - there is an autoleads storage box being fitted under it, they are using Vauxhall Corsa speaker mounts, which they have used in the past to mount the drivers and the tweetsers are being mounted in the original door card places.

Anyone got this headunit or Genesis components in a Blob or Bugeye?

The standard headunit and speakers I have suffered for 7 months - no longer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is coming from DRM in Bathgate, Scotland if anyone knows them. I had a listen to the speakers in their Demo Mini and they sound good.

Brian.

Last edited by wrxmania; 15 April 2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15 April 2004, 11:00 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone?
Old 16 April 2004, 10:14 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

the HU is ace, not sure aobut the speakers mind. never heard them.

but the 77MP is virutally flawless imo. the only thing that is a bit annoying is that it can sometimes take a while to read the mp3 discs...

as for the spacer, i personally would have asked for them to be cut from MDF. its more of a personall preference, but i dont thing plastic spacers will do as good a job as a baffle board as MDF or Birch Ply would...

but, you'll enjoy the set up loads, im sure of it.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:36 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Hello,

I am getting a Pioneer DEH-P77MP headunit (brushed aluminium quality unit without flashing lights) (getting it for £240) and a pair of 13" driver and component Genesis speakers in front (costing £150) with Brown Bread sound deadening etc fitted tomorrow.

Anything I should look out for - there is an autoleads storage box being fitted under it, they are using Vauxhall Corsa speaker mounts, which they have used in the past to mount the drivers and the tweetsers are being mounted in the original door card places.

Anyone got this headunit or Genesis components in a Blob or Bugeye?

The standard headunit and speakers I have suffered for 7 months - no longer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is coming from DRM in Bathgate, Scotland if anyone knows them. I had a listen to the speakers in their Demo Mini and they sound good.

Brian.
I recommend you consider an amp. for the genesis components rather than running off the head unit.

One suggestion is to at least install speaker cabling for an amp. into the doors at the same time as fitting the speakers. Running the cables now would save having to do major dismantling of the doors next time around for the cost of say 10m more speaker wire.

Isn't 13 inches a bit big for the front doors though
Old 16 April 2004, 01:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I really wouldn't use the Corsa mounts, but other than that I think you'll be happy. As above, if you want to go up another level, add a decent amp in the future :-)
Old 16 April 2004, 01:19 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Personally I would upgrade the amp on standard speakers, before upgrading the speakers.

It really does add to a bigger impact on the sound.

Havign said that the standard amps in modern headunits are improving all the time!