ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Numptie help with settings

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 10:28 PM
VinnyP!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numptie help with settings

All the settings for my head unit have been lost when the battery has been disconnected, Treble Bass etc. I can sort, the rest were set up by the folks who did the install.
Has anyone got any suggestions for the following, and, if your patience holds out an explanation why would also be nice.

It's in an MY95 saloon. The head unit is a Kenwood PSW9521, the fronts are Focal Polykevlar components and in the rear parcel shelf are a pair of Genesis 6x9 Subs. The Amp is a Genesis 4x100. It's had sound deadening fitted.

Settings I have no idea about are:
  1. Bass center frequency
  2. Middle centre frequency
  3. Treble centre frequency
  4. Non Fading level???
  5. Rear High Pass Filter???
  6. Front High pass filter???
  7. Non fading low pass filter???
  8. Non fading Phase.???
Other settings I'm not sure about are Speaker Type (OFF 5/4inch 6/6X9inch OEM) and woofer type.(OFF 10 or 12 in A B C or D Type and 8 inch)

Any help gratefully received.

Vince
Old 01 April 2004, 04:13 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

Vince

Here's what ya do...ya go to the store and grab a six-pack of brew,go home,park the car and PLAY with it.

All those options that are built into that hu are for tayloring the sound to YOUR tastes...and the speakers capabilitys.

You don't mention the size of the Focals(REAL nice stuff)but I'll ASSume they're 6.5's...the high pass filter in the hu will block out low fqz's that only a sub should be getting(like 50Hz).
Now this filter works great for people who want the loudest and cleanest sound from a small speaker,but if you don't get really horny with the volume you can leave it off and get more bass at a lower listening level

This unit sounds very much like my Pioneer.The low/mid/high settings are nothing more than your average old bass/treble settings...just more defined...an extension.

These settings TOTALLY depend on YOUR listening habits and tastes.That's why I suggest spending a couple of hours alone with a few brews(just so's not to be distracted by the thought of the ol'lady getting ugly on ya)and a cd that you like and know well...experiment.
You can't make it any worse than it is right now,and you might find that you'll strike a combo of your own that you like better.

Give it a spin...
Old 01 April 2004, 11:26 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

yes matr agree there is no definate settings it all depends on what u like and also what type of music u listen to aswell.if you listen to say like trance and dance music etc ud want more treeble and mid base cumin from your focals,and less heavy bass.but say if you listen ro r n b or rap then that tends to have more bass and mid base.so as said before just experiment mate and enjoy
Old 01 April 2004, 09:18 PM
VinnyP!
Scooby Regular

Thanks all I have tried fiddling just wanted a bench mark ti=o start from and an idea of what the filters did and where to set them.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:22 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by VinnyP!
Settings I have no idea about are:
  1. Bass center frequency
  2. Middle centre frequency
  3. Treble centre frequency
  4. Non Fading level???
  5. Rear High Pass Filter???
  6. Front High pass filter???
  7. Non fading low pass filter???
  8. Non fading Phase.???
Other settings I'm not sure about are Speaker Type (OFF 5/4inch 6/6X9inch OEM) and woofer type.(OFF 10 or 12 in A B C or D Type and 8 inch)
These guys were undoubtedly right in that everyone would set up those options differently and it's up to you. However, that still doesn't answer your question of "what do they mean" !

1. The centre of the bass frequency, such as 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz, etc. This is the mid-point of the range of frequencies that you are adjusting with this single control. Imagine the 3-band graphic equaliser slider controls on a Hi-Fi labelled "Bass", "Mid" and "Treble" - if 150Hz is labelled "Bass", then 100Hz could be labelled "lower bass" and 200Hz could be labelled "higher bass". Dance music has bass, R&B has lower bass and pop music has higher bass. Bear in mind that your Genesis 6x9s are subs, which are designed to handle lower bass than most speakers so you may be best starting off with the lowest setting (probably around 80Hz).

2. The centre of the midrange (vocals) frequency, such as 1KHz, 1.3KHz, 1.6KHz, etc. Male Rap / R&B probably has lower-pitched vocals / midrange than pop, which is generally also lower than trance (which tends to have female vocals and higher-pitched synethesized music).

3. The centre of the treble (highest vocals, cymbals, high-hats, etc) frequency, such as 6KHz, 10KHz, 15KHz, etc. Generally perceived as the part of the music that gives clarity and stereo imaging. Arguably the most user-specific setting - I listen to trance with LOADS of high treble. Naff speakers and tapes lack clarity because they don't reproduce enough treble - quality speakers and CDs are much clearer because there is more treble and the centre-point is higher.

4. Don't know what this means.

5. HPF is the highest frequency that the speakers (in this case, the rear subs) will be given a signal for. As your rear speakers are subs, they are designed for low bass rather than midrange or high treble. Therefore, you want to set the HPF on so that it cuts out all the irrelevant stuff and lets the subs do more of the low stuff that they're good at. Start at around 250Hz and keep stepping down until they go a bit quiet and you lose more of the sound than you want.

6. As above but for the front speakers. It's very unlikely that you want to cut out any sound from the front speakers so leave the HPF off.

7. LPF is the opposite of HPF - it cuts out the bass and stops small speakers from stressing out over low rumbling tones that they can't handle. As you've got some nice little subs in the back, you might want to cut a little bit of bass from the front speakers. But, if this option affects both front and rear speakers, then it's probably best to leave it alone, otherwise you'll be cutting out most of what the 6x9s are trying to reproduce.

8. If your subs sound fractionally out of time (the bass is a bit vague and sounds like it isn't reacting quickly enough), try swapping the phase to the opposite setting (I think you can just choose 0 degrees or 180 degrees). This might mean something else but that's what I understand it to mean.

Speaker type: Either OFF (flat music curve) or 6/6x9 (bassier music curve intended for big speakers)

Woofer type: Never heard of this setting before but it basically means "what size subs have you got?" You'd probably be best off selecting "8 inch".

Hope that helps

Last edited by DJNafey; 08 April 2004 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Clarified point 8
Old 08 April 2004, 08:59 AM
VinnyP!
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much that is a big help.
Old 08 April 2004, 04:04 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

Non Fading level is basically the level of the sub (assuming you've got it connected to the non-fading pre-outs). Non-Fading just means that it won't be affected by the Front/Rear fader control. Sometimes, the stereo has separate pairs of Rear/NF pre-outs, sometimes, they're combined and only one can be configured at once.

The speaker and woofer types just set up the presets accordingly (e.g. Rock, Pop, Jazz, etc.). I've got a document from Kenwood which explains this, which I'll try to find.

BTW, Low Pass Filter will filter off high frequencies (i.e. for the sub). High Pass Filter will filter off the low frequency (i.e. for normal speakers). AFAIK, they only work on the pre-outs.

Hope that helps.
Old 08 April 2004, 06:56 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fiwek
BTW, Low Pass Filter will filter off high frequencies (i.e. for the sub). High Pass Filter will filter off the low frequency (i.e. for normal speakers).
DOH - that's what I thought to start with !! But then I looked at my crossover and decided I'd got it wrong and it was the other way round, lol.

Cheers Fiwek
Old 08 April 2004, 09:16 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

DJNafey was right when he said the speaker matching setting basically sets a bassier curve for 6/6x9 speakers (it does this by adjusting the bass/mid/treble/etc levels for each of the presets accordingly). The sub matching setting only changes the NF (i.e. sub) level for each of the presets.

S'pose the point is that it gives you an appropriate set of default values to work with. Like others have said though, it's definately worth spending the time setting it up to your tastes.

Anyway, according to the info Kenwood sent me, the sub matching setting sets the following:

Setting Woofer System Q Non Fader Level

12 inch A KFC-W1204DB Flat -7
KFC-W1205DB Rock -7
KFC-W1225DB Top40 -9
Pops -9
Jazz -9
Easy -11

10 inch A KFC-W1004DB Flat -5
KFC-W1005DB Rock -5
KFC-W1025DB Top40 -7
Pops -7
Jazz -7
Easy -9

12 inch B KFC-WS303 Flat -5
Rock -7
Top40 -9
Pops -9
Jazz -9
Easy -11

10 inch B KFC-WS253 Flat -3
Rock -5
Top40 -7
Pops -7
Jazz -7
Easy -9

12 inch C KFC-W3003 Flat -7
KFC-W3005 Rock -7
KFC-W3085 Top40 -9
Pops -9
Jazz -7
Easy -11

10 inch C KFC-W2503 Flat -5
KFC-W2505 Rock -5
KFC-W2585 Pops -7
Jazz -5
Easy -9

12 inch D KFC-WS303 Flat -7
Rock -7
Top40 -9
Pops -9
Jazz -7
Easy -11

10 inch D KFC-WS253 Flat -5
Rock -5
Top40 -7
Pops -7
Jazz -5
Easy -9

8 inch KFC-W2003 Flat -3
KFC-W2005 Rock -1
Top40 -1
Pops -1
Jazz -1
Easy -3

They didn't send me any tech details about the speaker matching

BTW, don't change the speaker matching settings after you've set your levels because it'll overwrite your changes! Aarrgghh! Good job I had 'em all written down

EDIT: Nice one, all that lovely formatting trashed when I posted Ah well, you'll just have to do your best to line it up in yr head