ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE advice required re headunit & speakers

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2004, 07:05 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ICE advice required re headunit & speakers

Hi all, I have a MY00 that has a Kenwood KDC 5090B mask headunit in it from the previous owner. I also have a Pioneer KEH P8600R with 12 disc changer that came out of my previous car. I'd like advice as to which you think is the best unit to use. I know the Pioneer is pretty old now but was always a good unit and top of the range in its day, though i like the mask facility on the Kenwood as it blends in nicely with the centre console. Which would you have in your cars? Another option is to sell them both and replace with a unit that plays MP3 as that would be my ideal. Any idea as to what they may be worth individually if I was to do that?

Also a final question on front speakers. They are still the standard ones which I need to change. I have some Pioneer two way coaxials that are 16cm (6 1/2") from my previous car would they fit in the fronts at all?

Many thanks for your help in advance...!

Dan.
Old 26 February 2004, 12:39 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

If you have no preference over the slight variations in the sound from different manufacturer's head units, then I'd say that 'ease of use' in setting them up and day-to-day fiddling is an important consideration and that's why I like Pioneers so much. If both head units are 4x50w, then I'd choose the Pioneer out of the two. Having said that though, I would rather go with your MP3 suggestion and sell both units and buy a Pioneer MP3500.

16cm Pioneers fitted easily into my MY96 WRX a few weeks ago, whereas the 17cm versions that I had originally bought (and then replaced) were a bit fiddly. I would assume that you'd find the same thing with your MY00 model ......... but don't take my word for it
Old 06 March 2004, 03:09 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Ok some more advice needed please! I have a cousin in America who's coming over in a few weeks time so I might be able to get her to bring me over some front components and an amp to run them. I'm looking at the Focal Polyglass 165V2 for the components. Could anyone recommend a good amp to run these, looking at perhaps a Rockford Fosgate. www.sounddomain.com seem to have the best deals. Then look to sell my two h/units for a new Pio MP3 one and I should be sorted!

So advice appreciated on an amp and if those are a good choice of speaker too? Before she gets over here...! That's if she agrees to bring it over of course!

Cheers, Dan.
Old 06 March 2004, 04:55 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dan, i'm looking at buying stuff from the us too.

Amp £510 best price here £160 there!!! Phoenix Gold 4 x 125W + 1 X 400W http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3081608119 (brand new, company just using ebay to advertise)

There's also a pucka deal on a 12" ADS sub on at http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk retails at £270 and on special for £120 - it's a real nice sub apparently.

I'm pretty sure those speakers will fit, see ProblemChilds picture post - $250 here; http://store.thestereohouse.com/yhst...65cvpo6co.html

I know the slim versions will fit but they don't handle as much power
Old 06 March 2004, 05:35 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Buying from the USA.... an EXCELLENT idea with the current exchange rates...

Now where's my credit cards.
Old 08 March 2004, 12:03 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. After a bit more research I think I'm going to go for the Focal Access 165A components now as I hear v good things about them and they're cheaper than the Polyglass. Anyone here using those at the moment? That looks like a good deal for the Phoenix Gold amp but I've found another bargain, think I might go for this one: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOT4004

Sadly that site doesn't do the Focals though. It might be worth getting those over here actually as the savings don't seem to be as great on those there, maybe about £30 cheaper but no warranty etc. If anyone's bought via the States could they recommend any other reputable sites over there?

Thanks again...

Dan.