ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker rings in a P1.

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 06:05 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker rings in a P1.

I'm looking to put a set of Infinity Perfect 6.1 in the front of my P1. I'll probably try 12 or 18mm MDF for the spacer ring.

However, I also need to mount the crossover (large) and the tweeter. I reckon the x-over will have to go somewhere else on the door but I want the tweeter mounted on the spacer, in front of the woofer.

Has anyone done this or similar and are there good piccies?

Jeremy.
Old 04 March 2004, 10:08 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

i have Boston Pros in my P1 and the fitted with a 12mil board, and a few layers of dynamat extreme, the problem i found was that i had to lift the bottom part of the speaker out a little more because of the curature of the window. it was clipping it slightly with just the 12mil board.

as for the tweeter, i jus took out the old tweeter from its mounting braket, and replaced it with mine...

im not too sure if you will have the clearance to put the tweeter in fron tof the mid... unless you cut a small hole out of the door card..?

oh and my crossover is back in the car. havent decided where to mount them yet....
Old 05 March 2004, 06:58 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just doing very similar with my P1.

Have got hold of a set of Focal separates from a mate who said they'd fit straight in....wrong!(he didn't take them out himself)

Can you buy the spacer off the shelf?

Cheers

Steve.
Old 06 March 2004, 12:58 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

As I understand it, it is possible to buy spacers for a Vauxhall Corsa or Nova (damn - still no scoobynet search) and make 6" compos fit.

I now have the speakers. The x-overs are HUGE and weigh a ton. The woofers are heavier than a heavy thing too. So much so that I have to be careful each time I pick them up. The tweeters look strangely similar to the 655CSis in my AXGT though. Hopefully they are superior.

It is really going to be fun trying to fit this lot. Initial plan is to recess the tweets into the same 12mm MDF mounting 'rings'. Ideally, I'd like the mid-basses to go in complete with grilles but it depends on clearance. The x-overs will have to get bolted in somewhere else as they're probably too bulky and too heavy to just hang around inside the door.

Jeremy.
Old 07 March 2004, 08:36 PM
gperk100
Scooby Regular

I seem to recall it all getting a bit tight in the door once you've got the mdf and driver in there, so not sure you'll have room for a tweeter as well.

IMHO the best place for the tweeter is on the small plastic triangle behind the wing-mirror. High frequencies are very directional and its best for the soundstage to have the tweeter as close to ear level as possible. Cable them up on some temporary fly leads and try out different mounting positions and see what sounds best to you.

Hope this helps...
Old 07 March 2004, 10:53 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I agree re. the tweeters. It's going to be difficult to get them angled properly but still behind the trim. I'll have to hook the door trim off tomorrow and see if it's even possible.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
Old 08 March 2004, 12:31 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

you will want to keep the tweeter as close as possible to the mid to get a true soundstage. otherwise, you will need to delay the timing of the tweeters to make sure the sounds gets to you all at the same time....