ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Bad Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 02:02 PM
JapScoobys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a Jap Radio with a wave band expander so i can get more channels. The reception is crap! No sooner have i picked up a gooden, half a mile down the road i have to re-tune!

Heard that you can get a amplified bit of kit which solves this. Any ideas?
Old 13 November 2003, 01:28 PM
MattyB
Scooby Regular

I had this on mine, exact same problem. Bought a brand new double din UK subaru one...........exact same problem! Little better but not much. No idea how to fix it sorry.......anyone.....please.......
Old 20 November 2003, 05:33 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

I have an import with the same problem. This must be something to do with the aerial being tuned for Jap frequency radio perhaps. Someone enlighten me.
Old 26 November 2003, 01:57 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Same problem with my import (ie electric aerial in RNS wing), installed Sony headunit plus CD changer from 200SX but reception still rubbish.

Recently installed Sony CDXM1000TF MP3 player - reception improved but still appalling.

Before buying the latest unit, I had someone look at the aerial and I was told it was OK - Not so sure now!

There also seems to be an aerial amplifier behind the headunit. (Having read on down the list, I'm wondering if the "amplifier" is actually an expander for frequencies which is causing the problem)

Just bought a wired remote which I shall try fitting this weekend and playing with aerial connections/amplifiers at same time.

Does anybody with an import/electric aerial have decent reception?

Graham (MY99 WRX)

[Edited by gdavey - 11/26/2003 2:27:35 PM]
Old 26 November 2003, 04:56 PM
MattyB
Scooby Regular

Matt B agaon from previous post - I have a 95 and it was fine, no perfect, aftermarket single din.

Now in my 00 inport stereo with band expander was bad, brand new stereo from MY03 is fractionally better but thought it would be perfect what with the RDS ect......clues anyone????
Old 01 December 2003, 08:38 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Wink

Okay, this is deal. Jap radio is only broadcast in FM within a very small freqency range 76-90MHz. So the aerial is tuned/amplified to just pick up that range. Because the UK has a wider FM range (86-108MHz) as well as AM (I think you'll find you'll have no AM reception at all) the aerial needs a booster or should be replaced all together.

Some Jap imports might be okay, if they have been shipped to other parts of the world. STis and the like are Japanese domestic products so Subaru have cut down on anything that isn't necessary - like expanded radio reception.

I've just ordered a DAB/AM/FM diplexer aerial set so hopefully that will help things along. I'm getting really bored of my CDs now.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01 February 2004, 05:34 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Cool

My DAB aerial failed to turn up at the shop I had ordered it from (can't thank you enough Hendon) so in my frustration to get some radio reception I took matters into my own hands.

I'm assuming others with the same problem have an imported wagon with a roof mount whip-like aerial. You've changed the head unit so you can pick up 88 - 108 MHz, but the reception is still crap.

Remove the back end of the head lining so you can gain access to the underside of the aerial. There's a small metal box bolted to the back of the roof - unbolt it, unclip the coax and earth lead then throw it over your shoulder.
You'll then need to join the coax from the roof to the rest of the coax coming from the head unit. I used a £1 connector from Maplin. Tape everything down. Replace headliner inserts. Turn on radio and enjoy normal radio reception!

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2012, 05:47 PM
stanspeedautocare
Scooby Regular

i have a uk 2003 wrx with the same problem (aireal fitted in back screen)i changed the amplifirer under the back windscreen job fixed ,
Old 30 May 2012, 05:50 PM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stanspeedautocare
i have a uk 2003 wrx with the same problem (aireal fitted in back screen)i changed the amplifirer under the back windscreen job fixed ,
could you elaborate a bit mate - I need to sort my 03 out - the reception is ****e
Old 30 May 2012, 06:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bad radio reception on aftermarket radios is caused by the amplifier in the back not getting any power.

the way to solve this is to link the blue 12v amp wire on your new head unit to the white wire in the impreza radio loom.

this then provides power to the rear amp and the radio will work correctly.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:38 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/8699...it-change.html
Old 31 May 2012, 10:29 AM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

I have the standard head unit and even capital radio tunes in and out - what's the crack with sorting out a standard unit please??