Good Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2003, 11:13 AM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all
Just wondered... im thinking of getting the new black sony pentagon amp with 500rms mono power for drive a sub. Fairly new out this year but are they any good?
I would like a 650 rms audiobahn sub to be run off this.
Are these to suited or not?
Any advice / info appreciated
Thanks in advance
Tim
Old 04 November 2003, 12:57 PM
Luke
BANNED

What price are these????
I would only buy Genesis,DLS (genesis!!) Soundstream ,JLAudio type amps... Sony, Alpine etc for the headunits only.There are some very good amps for sale here on Scoobynet. Also "Talk Audio " forum.
Old 04 November 2003, 09:38 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The amp i have found for £190 on mcs and other places sell it for upto £300.
The sub is on the same site and is £190 too!
I dont really want to spend more than £200 £250 at a push for a sub amp, the sony seems to be high power for little money!
Old 04 November 2003, 10:11 PM
Luke
BANNED

£250.00 could get you a much better amp secondhand and well looked after . Try here Great forum for car hifi
Old 04 November 2003, 10:15 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Always compare RMS wattage at like for like distortion levels as many manufactures quote absurd wattage that is not a sustainable figure.

If you are making the box yourself decide on design and when it talks about box volume this usually excludes ports and speaker baskets. A port and basket can increase the box volume by 1-xxx litres depending on size and I assume a 650 RMS sub is large. If you build the box the wrong size it just won't sound right.

I spent a week designing (I know I'm slow) a twin JL Audio box using 2 of their 6.5 inch 6w0 subs with 100w rms into each. This is truely the smallest and best sounding box to date.

Good luck
Old 05 November 2003, 01:14 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for your help!!!!
I want to make a box that faces you as u open the boot which looks as part of the car, not just a box sat there. I am finding it hard to find out the enclosure sizes and even if i did how would i work out that required size of litres or c/ft what they measure it in?!?
I know acoustic solutions who make the stealth boxes give a list of a few recomended subs but i want ones with a bit more umph!!!
at least 450rms! 12" or 15" :-)
Old 05 November 2003, 06:49 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Trust me size is not everything. You can buy a quoted 400rms 15 inch for £60 but it may well sound crap. A good sub setp is a combination of speaker, port, box and amp. As I mentioned above I have a pair of 5's + tweeters in the doors and a pair of 6.5 subs with a total of 440 pure rms running them. Always makes me laugh when people listen to the car and think I'm joking when I say I only have a pair of 5's and 6's. You need to also consider power supply, sound deadening etc to create a good sound. IMHO before you look at speakers measure up as good as you can the external box volume and send it to me and and I can give you an approx internal volume in litres. No point buying a speaker that cannot fit in the boot. Depending on your musical taste you could consider an isobaric bandpass box. With this design you will not see either speaker id both are enclosed but the sub FR is narrow so you may need a pair of mid bass in the front doors to fill then gap in frequency. Most speaker manufactures show a recommended internal box volume in litres. 1cuft is approx 28 litres.

Hope this helps