Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Help! MY03 ICE install

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2003, 12:40 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new Apline 9813 arrived today and doing some 'preliminary' installation work and have a question:

This is a picture of the lead that goes into the back of the head unit, with black connectors for the corresponding Autoleads adaptor.

Note the black ground wire ending in a spade connector and the yellow power wire ending in a plastic covered 'socket' type connector in the picture below and attached to the 2 black connectors that are used to connect everything else.

Finally, this is a picture of the Autoleads adaptor...note that the yellow and black wires are already attached to the black plastic connectors.

My question is am I going to have to strip the black and yellow wires from the connectors (spade etc.) in the 2nd photo and connect them together with the Autoleads adaptor somehow or is there another way?

Thanks
Old 02 October 2003, 01:12 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

The black's the earth and I think most people attach this under one of the screws which attaches the head unit to the monuting cage - this is in turn earthed by the existing black wire attached to the sticky out lug thing on the cage.

Alpine recommend the yellow wire is attached direct to the battery/fuse box. General consensus is it probably won't harm wiring it into the ISO but you take your choice......

Ian
Old 02 October 2003, 02:14 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Did what was said, but managed to blow a couple of fuses in the car.

I think it must be to do with taking the power lead (yellow) from the impreza block through the autoleads adaptor.

Any other ideas or am I resigned to pay a proffesional to wire it up properly (ie.directly to the battery)?
Old 02 October 2003, 02:45 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Thinking about this a bit more...as the standard unit is not 'live' wired (you have to turn the key to get it to operate) can I just use the adaptor as this will (should)have 'switched' live connected instead?
Old 02 October 2003, 05:45 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

You need permanaent live for memory, etc.

I can't think why it would blow fuses just by switching it on - without putting a major load on it. Providing you've got yellow to yellow and black to black (via mounting chassis.

It's not such a big job - I had a 9812 - same wiring. Open the bonnet - there's a big grommet thing down on the right hand side of the bulkhead - lots of fairy liquid will get the cable through - you must put an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery terminal. Or may be easier to wire to fuse box - but I never done that so can't help.

Ian
Old 02 October 2003, 06:14 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Isn't the grey block attached to the yellow wire in the pics already an inline fuse (20AMP rating)?
Old 02 October 2003, 06:44 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Thinking about biting the bullet and getting someone who knows what they are doing to install this damn thing...having to install a permanent live feed with my marinal knowledge of all things electric doesn't sound like too much fun.

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2003, 03:50 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

SB, I think I know why your Headunit didn't work. I had the same problem, no power to the unit and scratching my head. Just finished installing the CD changer.

You need to attach the switched power connection, the red wire with 2 bullet connectors on the same wire, to the red wire on the 2nd connector and it will work.

The connection to the battery is a dead easy, through the large grommit on the bulkhead, behind the battery. Prise it out, squirt washing-up liquid on the inside, where the wires go through and push the live cable through, then replace the grommit. Attach the wire to the + battery terminal, I used a crimp on battery terminal connector.

The only thing that I haven't connected is the Dimmer wire, but you can manually dim the display from the menu's, so not to much of a problem.

I even got my radio to mute and go through the stereo speakers, using the Nokia car kit and a mute adapter!

And I know almost nothing about electrics, but worked it out with the help of a multi-meter and the wiring diagram.

Any questions let me know.

Dan