Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear shelf 6 x 9's

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2003, 10:21 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi people Just wondering how some of you have fitted the 6x9's in the rear shelf? I can make the spacers, but how do I attach these to the underside of the shelf???
Any help would be great- thanx
Old 03 September 2003, 08:03 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 04 September 2003, 08:34 AM
nickysplendid
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know this too!
Old 04 September 2003, 09:23 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

With screws? Or bolts? Put the bolt head/screw head under the carpetty type thing on the shelf and you're laughing...
Old 04 September 2003, 01:32 PM
nickysplendid
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Chiark..

on your very helpful website you state:-

"You'll find a plate with 5ish inch speakers installed in it. These plates can be removed completely and replaced with some brands of 6x9 speaker"

does this apply to my uk t reg turbo? what brands of 6 x 9s will fit the rear shelf with plate removed?
Old 04 September 2003, 02:29 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The installer who did my MY99 removed the original speakers with the plates and then put Kenwood 6x9's in. They were screwed to the parcel shelf from underneath - i.e. the speaker was entirely in the boot and screwed upwards into the metal frame under the parcel shelf.
Old 04 September 2003, 09:00 PM
tomski
Scooby Regular

I used a piece of mdf to fix the speaker to, (as a spacer) and then screwed it to the shelf. I could not put the speakers straight on to the shelf because the shape of the tweater would not fit through the original speaker hole.
Andrew
Old 04 September 2003, 09:24 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Thanx very much everyone. This looks like this weekends job
Old 09 September 2003, 03:56 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

i tried to do this on the legacy saloon, but the two bars that run under the shelf get in the way.

Is this the same as the impreza?
Old 09 September 2003, 04:39 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The bars won't get in the way in an impreza IMHO. There looks to be plenty of clearance as they run along the back "wall" of the boot.
Old 09 September 2003, 09:48 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Nick

Have you seen any 6x9's fitted to a MY01+ saloon? Do you know how spacers (if used) were attached? I've ordered those Genesis subs on your recommendation and have the MDF ready to go, but am still measuring up.

The underside of the parcel shelf isn't flat at all and there's all sorts of bits and bobs sticking out. The shelf itself is quite thin, with a sort of underlay backing to it too.

under shelf

Would you have any suggestions?

[edited for the url]

[Edited by JockyTT - 9/9/2003 9:59:03 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 09:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

looks like fun (btw, drop the / off the end of that link and change the \ to / )

just use 6mm mdf, make a template that fits around all the gubbins, then fit another 6mm mdf "thing" that actually will hold the sub... Can you see what I mean with that? Sorta use one layer to get a flat base to work up against, then another layer that the driver screws in to.

Old 09 September 2003, 10:01 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Doh - yep I see. I'm sitting here working out how to cut chunks of the spacer to fit over rather than around! This is gonna be fun....

Cheers
Old 13 September 2003, 02:00 AM
canu
Scooby Newbie

What was the final outcome!! Any pics?? Pics of the mdf spacers would be great. I am visual, not good with instructions.

Gracias!!!

Canu
Old 13 September 2003, 06:59 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Canu - still working on the design. It ain't gonna be easy, but I'm taking my time. Will psot pics when I've got it sorted
Old 14 September 2003, 10:30 AM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

Angry

I fitted Vibe 6*9s on thursday in a classice saloon impreza. What a bast@*rd of a job. Better with two people on the job. Ended up making two mdf spacers for each part:-
-To get the hardboard shelf out of the car.

Have to dislodge the rear seat surround. takes a bit of force but it comes, just did it today. you will see there are two bars holding the surround to the car, just where the seats are held in. just use brute force and push each bar out.
Once this is done, if u look at either side of the shelf underneath, there are 2 small plastic clips holding the hardboard shelf onto the metal, dislodge these with a pair of pliers underneath and it pops up.

Next prise the shelf out of the grooves on each side where it meets the plastic trim, maybe an idea getting somone to help you, be carefull not to dmage the shelf. once this is out then you will have full access to the screws that hold the speaker and metal mounting plate on.

1-A 6*9 template to fit directly onto the speaker as the cone protruded above the edge of the speaker.
2-A larger spacer used as a base for screwing the whole thing to the rear shelf and screwing the speaker and the 6*9-template onto.

I used the three holes for securing the original metal speaker bracket to the rear shelf to secure the mdf bracket to (I removed the original speaker bracket).

I found that the bars for the bootlid got in the way so trying to get the speaker to fit was quite hard.

I would suggest making a template out of hardboard first to get the base shape to fit to the shelf. And making the 6*9 template out of mdf so you can get the correct space and width you will need for the clearence of the speaker on the underside of the shelf(for clearence on the bars).

I managed to get the template under the bars but not the 6*9 template hence the pi$$ing about with the mdf spacer to match up the three holes on the shelf ehile allowing enough space for the 6*9.

Once I was happy with the hradboard template, I manufactured two spacers for each side from mdf.
I then checked them against the shelf and marked the position for the three holes on the shelf.
I then glued and screwed the mdf 6*9 templates to the mdf spacer(counter sink the screws from the 6*9 spacer into the mdf spacer for a tight fit)..
I offered them up to the car again just to make sure they would still fit.
I then screwed the speaker onto the spacer so you now have the whole thing complete ready to screw to the shelf.
As I said better with two people. offer the whole unit up to the shelf, locate the screws into the three holes, screw in tight, wire up the speakers and your finally there.
Sorry no pics as I am not taking the things apart again, hard enough putting it together.

I take no responsibility for any bad outcome as a result of following this guide. Other people might have a different way which I wish they would have shared before I did it.
Good Luck!

Any questions e-mail me