Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Best earth point in the boot.

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2003, 07:31 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok having problems with my new viper amp, my earth at present is on the rear seat bracket bolt,silly me, any of you chaps recommend a GOOD earth point in the boot that will provide the correct power req's for this amp, i'm not really into drilling the cars body but if it comes to that them so be it.
Old 27 August 2003, 12:31 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I've installed a wooden panel behind the rear seat and mounted my amp on that. For the earth point, because it's pretty close, I've used one of the existing holes in the rear parcel shelf. BUT, you obviously have to grind down the paint with wire wool or something. Crudely though, you could take the paint off with a screw driver. And I made sure it was darn tight as well. Haven't had any problems yet.

Cheers
Alex
Old 27 August 2003, 12:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

a good earth point will be on a solid piece of metal that is on the main body of the car, not sorta welded on.

As mentioned above, clean your point to bare metal. Also, if you're drilling a new hole for it, CHECK THERE'S NOTHING UNDERNEATH IT, like fuel tank or lines, or brake lines, or ... well, just check
Old 27 August 2003, 07:37 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chaps

Going to get some 0AWG cable and use this for a good solid earthing cable, what about the crappy earth cable to the battery on scoobs, is it worth replacing this?

It looks like i've got to drill into the car for this earth point, don't like drilling floor pans ETC ,so will find a decent spot away from any fuel tanks,cable and floors ETC as for removing the paint ,I just knew that i would find a use for that Dremmel one day

CHEERS

Lea