ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE & Sat Nav Advice for the Tight-fisted

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 09:45 AM
WRXJase
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Interested in a bit of advice from anyone who knows more than me on the above subject (doesn't rule out many people believe me).

I've got an '03 Wagon and am looking to ditch the standard head unit. I've seen a few install pics on here of the Blaupunkt 5-disc in dash changer and a blaupunkt head unit. Think it's a neat solution and since the DXR-52 head unit complete with sat nav can be had for under £500 at the moment I see a way of solving my problem and getting Sat Nav to boot (I do 25K miles a year so it would be a very, very nice bonus). I've heard mixed things about the Sat Nav though. Anyone any hands on experience or advice? Any other system with these features - new head unit + changer + sat nav would be loads more - unless I've missed something. Would this be a reasonable set up for the dosh or a waste of money?

Anyone offer any help?
Old 21 August 2003, 10:52 AM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Why get a 5-disc changer in your dash. Get your hands on a system that plays MP3. Easy, burn loads of tunes onto a CDR. You can get up to 9 albums on one CD depending on how you compress the files. Then get you sat nav.
Try alpine, looks very good. I have a head unit i got as a present from Canada. It's the mutz-nutz for music. There dirt cheap over there. Only thing they tune into different frequencies, so get one in Europe. I can pick up a good few stations when the signal is strong.

Good luck,
Murfs

Old 21 August 2003, 07:30 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Hi Jase

We're one of the people punting out the BP DXR52 at good prices at the moment.

As a nav it's ok but not a Becker or Alpine

Good features: Price and build quality
Not so good: needs nav disc to do turn by turn; current s/w doesn't have postcode support

We can put together some very competitive packages on DXR52 with CD changers, MP3 changers (Sony T70 + adaptor - track by track access) or Dension DMP3 (if 80GB of MP3 takes your fancy). Feel free to email as per profile.

Cheers

Lee.