Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How to configure Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 06:18 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently installed an Alpine Type R 12" Sub with V12 D-class amp, and was wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to how to set it up properly (all kit is installed, more interested in how to set the sub to a level that mixes with the rest of the ICE (Alpine Type S speakers front + back, linked to a Sony Xplod amp). Instruction manual doesnt really help at all (doesn't even explain what features do what!)

Also, is there some test music that I need to enable me to set it all up correctly?

Many Thanks
Old 21 August 2003, 09:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just use your ears

Find some music you know well, and listen to it again at hoome...

...then take it to the car.

Turn off loudness, set bass and everything else flat, then turn to your normal listening level.

Cross the sub over with an 80Hz low pass filter.

Set gain to minimum. Plug in RCAs. Listen... Turn it up until you're happy then leave it there.

If the sub starts to smell, turn gain down! If you hear a "clack" noise, the sub is hitting its end stop - turn it down. If you've got leaks in the box, reseal the box...

Hope this starts you off, and apologies if it's a tad simplistic
Old 21 August 2003, 03:09 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chiark, finally sorted it, I had the input level for the Alpine amp set at 2 volts when the RCA's output at 5v - so it was sounding like a turd! Is it worth crossing over at 80HZ - i have it set a 100hz now (can adjust on head unit between 125 and 80, and amp between 200 and 65 i think). Just had to turn the gain down on the Sony so it didnt "cancel out" the bass, also got some real bassy music to set up (as the chilis and other rock songs don't seem to engage the sub much).

VERY nice bit of kit the Type R sub! Alpine Type S coaxials are also very good for the price (paid £80 for 17cms back speakers and 13cms front)
Old 22 August 2003, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Try 80, but also try swapping the phase (change the polarity of your speaker cables - ie + to - and - to +). Both can have a massive effect!
Old 22 August 2003, 10:37 AM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Sub is wired for 2 ohms, amp is set to 80Hz - run a sub test cd on it last night, and it felt like my head was caving in (with no distortion) so I guess I must have it set right now??

Whats the best way to secure a sub enclosure down in the boot, as I am now fed up of driving round slowly to not chuck it about and damage it!

Just need some crossovers for the front coaxials - as they reach the end of their travel on some bass/drum beats! any ideas?