ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sub enclosure size

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2003, 11:00 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How critical is the size of a sub box ?

I've read a few sites that say things like you should stuff the box with insulation and then it will appear like a larger box to the speaker - which leads me to believe that it's not that critical.

However, when I go to the manufacturers site, the capacity is quited to 2 decimal places !

What will happen if I make the box too small ? and what if I put too much stuffing in so it appears to be overly large ?
Old 29 July 2003, 12:50 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, the box-size is not that critical

Basically, the specs will indicate the ideal box size. But, by making the box bigger or smaller, you can tune the sub to your taste. For example, making a box smaller will reduce the sub's chances of resonating - ending up with a tighter (and potentially more musical) bass ideal for funk-style music. If you prefer rap or RnB, where there's lots of held bass notes, you'll be better off with a bigger than spec'd capacity, so that the sub can resonate better and kick out some stupid strength notes.

At the end of the day, this stuff's all trial and error. But, you can safely assume that increasing or reducing the box size by as much as 20% won't have a huge effect on the sound and definitely won't damage the sub. So, play. Make a few basic boxes and see what happens.

As for Rockwool/fibreglass/insulation, yes, it's a very very good idea to fill a box with this stuff. Yes, it makes the box seem larger than it is, but more importantly, it reduces the chance of the box having a single resonant frequency.

More important than insulation though, you must must MUST make sure the box is airtight (assuming you're going for a sealed box). No air should get in or out. This will involve going round all of the wood joins with bathroom sealant (and then leaving the box to air for a day, as the fumes possibly could eat at the sub rubbers.) If you're not covering the box with vinyl, also make a gasket to go between the sub and the box. Then, make sure your sub is clamped down seriously hard. In a well-built sub box, you should be able to thump (I mean nearly punch) the sub and it'll barely move. I make 'em so I can lean on the sub and they don't shift.

Hope this helps

</lecture>
Old 29 July 2003, 08:08 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

That's really useful - thanks.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend