Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear shelf 6x9 speaker fitting help

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 12:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I forgot to mention.. the Pioneer 6x9's have have a mounting flange on the top surface so you can mount directly underneath without worrying about the rubber edging round the cone catching the shelf. Most 6x9's should have them (or come with them). But some may not.

Yes Drilling/marking the holes is tricky, you need to be quite flexible to get in the position to drill! But once you have the holes marked, it should'nt be a problem (unless you go straight through into the rear screen! ).

[Edited by ALi-B - 8/3/2003 12:10:13 AM]
Old 25 July 2003, 10:25 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ive got 6x9 jbl speaker which i would like to fit to the rear shelf, but without cutting the shelf its self. Is this possible. Dont want to go to the mdf route etc.
Old 25 July 2003, 07:46 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted some infinity 6953i 6x9's today and I had to do quite a bit of work to make them fit properly. There are only a few types of 6x9's that will drop into the existing holes so I hope your lucky mate.

Spooner
Old 29 July 2003, 12:37 AM
canu
Scooby Newbie

Owl, did you have to do any cutting, other than the top board/fabric?? Do you have pics?

I really want to do this to upgrade the sound! Is there a noticeable difference with speakers in the rear. Right now I have Kenwood MP3, Fosgate Amp, MTX sub so it sounds pretty nice with the Highs and Lows but can't get a good MID sound. The rear OEM just doesn't cut it (the sound is too low). The only thing is that I would hate to go through all the trouble and be dissapointed with the results. Do you recommend??

ThankS
Canu
Old 29 July 2003, 05:41 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Hmmm, I guess youve dropped your speakers in from the top. Did you have to cut any metal. Its just that i havnt even looked close at the rear shelf yet. I just hope i dont have to cut any metal off the shelf if theres any. can live with cutting the (cardboard) shelf as i will be leaving the speakers in for good.
Old 29 July 2003, 08:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

No you don't have to cut the holes any bigger (i'm talking about classic shape here) ...unless your a purist and want a perfect 6x9 holes.

Just need to drill 4 new holes and mount the speakers from the boot (i.e under the shelf), Ok the spaker may be slightly covered, but as long as the tweets and mids are'nt covered, I doubt you'd notice any difference.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:14 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Mount from beneath and leave original grills.

10min job
Old 30 July 2003, 04:27 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Thats great just what i wanted to do, now that i no its possible ill have a go.
Old 30 July 2003, 10:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Just to show you...

Please excuse my messy silicone. I left the original grills in for a perfect stealth install.

BTW it's not a 10min job (for a saloon) requires the rear seats to be removed and at least 1 "C" pillar interior trim to be removed in order to remove the shelf and get at the original speakers.
Old 01 August 2003, 06:10 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Ive had a quick look inside the boot under the rear shelf, I noticed that the speakers mounted into a oval shape. Looks like from underneath that there is a choice of oval or circular speaker fitment, .The smaller hole looks like its be cut from a small sheet of metal which is then mounted from the top to the larger oval shape hole, possibly held in place by a couple of screws, but might be getting this all wrong as only looked from the boot side, not removed the shelf from inside yet.
Old 02 August 2003, 05:05 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Smile

Had a go at it 2day, if i mount the speakers either way i will require a spacer, as from underneath the edge of the speaker(rubber) catches & so for now i have mounted them from the top with the plastic spacer that came with the speakers. Have marked the 4 hole position and will drill them later (forgot my extension cable) Thanks for the pics any way. Was it hit & miss when you drilled your holes. Ive tried to use a centre punch to mark them from inside & hopefully i should be able to spot were to drill from underneath as from top is a no,no.
Old 06 August 2003, 12:40 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for your comments guys. I've only had my MY96 saloon for a week or so and I'm trying to figure out what to do about speakers. I really like my tunes but I'm trying hard to stop myself from fitting subs - Pioneer 6x9s would be a nice compromise
Old 06 August 2003, 12:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I said that once DJNafey......

Hmmm, Not sure how these ended up in the boot

I really need to tidy up that wiring
Old 06 August 2003, 12:58 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol, yeah it gets too tempting doesn't it?! I bought the Impreza so that I could have something big, fast and fairly reliable - I don't want to fiddle with it much. But you should see what I've done in the back of my "boy racer" Mini ..... that's a whole different story!