Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

installing Sony Xplod sub - novice question...

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2003, 10:57 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay, I seem to be heading down the sub route in an attempt to improve the sound quality within the car. Quick question is;

how easy to install?

I mean, do they require separate power, or is it just a single cable leading in to the back of the headunit? I'm planning on attaching one of the Sony Xplod range to my CDX-M630 - which I'm hoping will be well easy as I'm sure it has the fitting on the back, as well as a sub volume control option...

any opinions gratefully received - as I say, bit of a novice!

Thanks!
Old 30 May 2003, 11:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I don't like sony subs. Sorry, I'll make no bones about it, but I think you can do much better for the money again.

Fitting a sub is easy tho
Old 30 May 2003, 11:49 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

cheers Chiark - any suggestions? well, rephrasing, is there any advantage in tying up the Xplod branded stuff?
Old 30 May 2003, 12:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Absolutely no advantage whatsoever. Plenty of disadvantages IMHO .

When Sony decided to make their subs octagonal, that's when they started shouting "form is now massively more important than functionality" to me.

For brand recommendations, I would personally recommend not using the large head unit manufacturers: they do great head units, and sometimes great amps, but IMHO you can do better for less money when it comes to their speakers, particularly subs. Although saying that, the Pioneer TSW300 that I had as my first sub wasn't bad at all

Have u got a budget, box size and sub size in mind yet?

Old 30 May 2003, 01:44 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

i'm not really fussed about the box size, and in terms of budget, not sure... the Sony subs were between 60-100 quid - which seemed very reasonable. As long as I'm not buying complete tosh, it would be good to remain sub £100.

probably worth poiting out that I'm not after a system which will crumble walls - just something that won't run out of steam when the Marilyn Manson stuff goes on.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If u like rock/alternative, you want a sealed box. Preferably a 12" if u can lose around a cu ft of space. Again, generalising

The Crystal CMP stuff seems well liked, but I think it's a little above your price range. However, it's just been replaced so it might be being flogged off...

Do you have an amp, or would you be looking for one of those too?

Old 30 May 2003, 05:14 PM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

I agree with Nick 100% on all points.Sony sub's just suck in an sq situation.If you want to here a couple of midgets wrestling in the boot,then these are the sub's for you.
And yes,the Pioneer sub's are the best bang-for-the-buck in sq,but they only go so far...

For 100 of your pounds(160 dollars here)you should be able to get a Shiva. www.adireaudio.com
A 12" sub that will destroy two Sony 12's in both sq and spl.Give this sub a 2 cube box and about 300 watts and you'll be happy I think.

Yes,the sub should have it's own amp.The only HU I know of that can actually be bridged to run a sub are the Pioneers...rear channels bridged to 2 ohms at 80 watts...but I would NEVER do it.
You'll need to run a power wire,a remote wire and RCA cables to the amp and ground it close.Sounds like you have the rest of the sub controls built into the HU...
Old 30 May 2003, 05:40 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

thanks guys...

just spent an hour in the local car audio shop, who give similar pictures! I actually ended up considering a swap of the fronts followed by rears before venturing down the amp/sub route.

They recommended JL Audio and Phoenix gold, which seemed fairly priced, but might be a pain to fit. IIRC Infinity something or others are the established 'way to go' on here.

It's difficult to judge it though, I think audio is like white emulsion in some ways (bear with me...) in that you never know how crap your old stuff is, until you get newer/better.

Here's hoping the infinity thingy-me-bobs are an improvment over the standard fit!

Old 30 May 2003, 06:43 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The infinity "thingmabobs" will be a big improvement on standard fit, no question. You'd also benefit more than most people realise from fitting sound deadening in the doors - makes a major difference. If you want to go further for SQ, an amp will help a lot. You'll never get as much bass without a sub, but IMHO you can get enough for most people with an amp, decent speakers and a rear shelf install, and the system will sound great.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:44 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Another convert

Welcome to the dark side.

Steve, the UK pricing on Adire stuff isn't very good at the moment. You won't get a shiva for anywhere near that money

Old 30 May 2003, 08:22 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, really do appreciate the assistance... although there's nothing quite like going into an ice store full of guru's to make you feel like a complete gimp..!

step one i think is to upgrade the fronts, the infinity range seems pretty extensive, and I think there's a model which is a pretty easy fit in terms of 'lift out old ones and replace with new'. Now all I have to do is get my head around components/tweeters and the like!
Old 30 May 2003, 08:50 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Right, Infinities found, prices about £100 ish.. fine

so, is the 605cs and 605cse the same thing, or am I being thick? I think these are roughly 6.5inches, so I'm again assuming that they'll fit pretty well?
Old 31 May 2003, 03:31 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

Your only dealer is in London...?

Nick,lemme look into shipping costs from here as a "gift"...that should eliminate alot of crap.I don't want to make a business of this at all,I just don't have the time.But that dealer needs his cut along with the government...I know.

That Shiva is $125 shipped here...I can't believe it would cost much more than 35-40 to ship there on a boat...just time over air...

Hate to see folks go "mainstream"...
Old 30 June 2009, 01:04 AM
jmreichert3
Scooby Newbie

Default Sonys aren't bad

I have 4 sonys 12 inch xplods and hit 148 dbs not bad for the money the sound is good for as cheap as they are. don't let these haters change your mind its all about the box and getting the sub powered right..