Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sound proofing - how effective

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 07:43 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have used the noisekiller kit so can give some personnal feedback.

Bought the full car kit, cost £110 for my MY98 Impreza 5 door.

My main aim was to quieten the booming from the magnex backbox. So, results. . . . hmmm.

Kit comprises some high density self adhesive mats (like the Dynomat stuff) and some sort of coated foam matting. Fitted the stick on mat stuff into the spare wheel well, then fitted the big foam mat sheet under the boot floor panel. Also fitted the foam piece under the rear seats.

Noticable improvement, but not as much as I would have liked. The kit fitted reasonably well, but required some minor trimming. Also an odd smell from the foam matt for about a week, but now gone.

Have now put a second piece of the foam type mat under the big piece, above where the rear silencer is, and this has had further improvement.

Plan to fit the four rectangular stick on pieces into the doors sometime soon, but probably won't bother with the rest, as I don't generally have a problem with road noise.

Could make the remaining pieces available to you at a very discount price to clear it out of my garage if you're interested ? I can email the noisekiller kit instructions that identify the pieces and indicate which are available if you are interested ?

[Edited by Scratch - 12/4/2002 8:03:27 PM]
Old 01 December 2002, 04:04 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Question

Folks, i've read lots of posts about sound proofing and where I can get it from. Just how effective are these kits you can get ? If I can just remove some of the road noise at 80+mph i'd be 1. Made up, 2. Able to justify spending some money on decent sounds because i'd then be able to hear them !
Feedback from those who've fitted sound proofing to a classic most welcome (mine is 99UK)

cheers

Nick
Old 01 December 2002, 05:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Nick
trust 99% of Ice fans... I always start with proofing..then Wiring..then instalation. The better the insulation the better the end result. Its good fun doing it your self. Just putting felt underlay/carpet under the cars carpet makes a difference.
Dont be fulled by Big mercedes etc having a great sound when you shut a door. Its not just build quality..have alook inside at all the deadning material!!!
Old 01 December 2002, 06:56 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I second that - the door shut sound improved lots with liberal dynamat application. The road noise reduced by putting dynamat in the doors and underlay under the boot carpet. The speakers in the doors sound much better and go louder by putting the deadening in the doors.

I used dynamat/dynamat extreme and foam carpet underlay, but the best value at the moment seems to be the noisekiller kits in the scoobynet shop.
Old 02 December 2002, 03:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

used masses of dynamat on my wrx. 6 in the doors in total.

makes a worthwhile difference.

in 22b decided to accept that incar hi fi was a waste of time really, and sound is all you need. stick with decent home hi fi. decided not to waste my time, so have gone from macintosh in the car, to gimmicks and flashy pioneer navigation. Best decision I made was to thjrow attempts at hifi out the window, forget imaging, reduce the weight and make the car faster!
Old 02 December 2002, 05:48 PM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

Dynamat worthwhile. There are cheaper options available. Decent stereo shop should have alternatives. Makes a difference but does add weight!!!! The choice is yours....
Old 03 December 2002, 04:03 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

This is a very good value 'pack'. Has most bits that you'd need - or use it as an excellent base for more deadening.
It's downside - it's heavy. But then that's the way to deaden sound, really
Old 04 December 2002, 12:01 PM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

If you go into an Auto-factors and aske for 'Dedsheet' - It's boxed in about 12 sheets (enough to thoroughly do 4 doors) for around £20!
I'd use it in flat areas where flexibility isn't an issue and where it is, offset it with some 'Brown Bread' (IMO Better than Dynamat) and some liquid noisekiller. Using these products, you can properly deaden your car for around £60-£80.
Old 04 December 2002, 04:34 PM
steve the sound man
Scooby Newbie

Cool

When considering Sound Proofing it is important to recognise that sound can be created in various ways.
Metal panels such as the rear wings will vibrate and this causes noise. The rear wheel arches will allow through the noise from tyres. The spare wheel well is above the exhaust area and will transmit the roar of the exhaust through into the boot area and also through the area under the rear seat. The body chassis will allow road noise to pass through into the cab and boot also.

So the there are differing types of noise that you will want to reduce, metal vibartions, airboirne noise, are the main two noises. To try to do this with one type of material is not possible.

NoiseKiller Acoustics have researched and developed the best solution by using a combination of barrier material and NoiseKiller Absorbsing Mats you can greatly reduce the noise inside you cab and boot area.

The kits are all custom designed and can be viewed at the Scooby Shop or contact NoiseKiller 0161 643 8070 www.noisekiller.co.uk
Old 04 December 2002, 07:41 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Have used the noisekiller kit so can give some personnal feedback.

Bought the full car kit, cost £110 for my MY98 Impreza 5 door.

My main aim was to quiten the booming from the magnex backbox. So, results. . . . hmmm.

Kit comprises some high density self adhesive mats (like the Dynomat stuff) and some sort of coated foam matting. Fitted the stick on mat stuff into the spare wheel well, then fitted the big sheet under the boot floor. Also fitted the foam piece under the rear seats.

Noticable improvement, but not as much as I would have liked. The kit fitted reasonably well, but required some minor trimming. Also an odd smell from the foam matt for about a week, but now gone.

Have now put a second piece of the foam type mat under the big piece, above where the rear silencer is, and this has had further improvement.

Plan to fit the four rectangular stick on pieces into the doors sometime soon, but probably won't bother with the rest, as I don't generally have a problem with road noise.

Could make the remaining pieces available to you at a very discount price to clear it out of my garage if you're interested ? I can email the noisekiller kit instructions that identify the pieces and indicate which are available if you are interested ?