Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Crossover / dynamat locations for front doors

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 11:51 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some pics showing roughly where I stuck my crossovers.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 11/2/2002 11:53:26 AM]
Old 01 November 2002, 01:14 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks

Im just about to fit some infinity 605's this weekend and wanted to know the best place to locate the crossover so it doesnt interfere with any parts of the door mech.

Also going to fit some dynamat extreme at the same time and wanted to know the best places to apply this ( outer door skin and/or both sides of the inner door skin? etc.. ) and how many rolls I need to do this effectively.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Rich
Old 01 November 2002, 01:14 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

oops...forgot to mention its an MY00.
Old 01 November 2002, 03:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Richard,
YOu can put the x-overs inside the doors. I think Greg cable tied them to the side impact bars... Will see if I still have a photo kicking around of his install...

Be aware that the bottom of the doors can hold water, particularly if the dealer has blocked up the holes that are there for a reason when they re-did your bodywork service. Unblock 'em, otherwise water sits there and that isn't good for anything.

For dynamat, you can go overboard if you want, but I personally wouldn't use more than a roll a door (if that). The boot benefits from quite a bit of deadening - say a roll, possibly more - especially on the lid.

Another thing you can do to help is put carpet underlay underneath the boot carpet. That worked well for me, and is cheap.

Also, it doesn't have to be dynamat. Steve the Sound man has an account with scoobyshop and is offering discounts off his sound deadening stuff - might be worth a look? (No connection, etc...)

The FAQ has instructions on how to get the door cards off if you're interested...

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 01 November 2002, 03:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Greg's install:

Old 01 November 2002, 04:09 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich,

I put mine to the outside of the doors. That's where the door is relatively flat (well no other cables to get in the way). You have to position them so that they fit into the void of the door card. Basically below where your elbow would be on the door rests.

I'll see if I have some pics and post them up later tonight.

I used proper velcro pads from Homebase and not the cr@ppy (IMHO) Halford ones.

Stefan
Old 02 November 2002, 04:22 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

In my MY02, I put the crossovers near the front of the doors, nehind the speakers and forwards a little. Used bluetak to space it off the door skin, stop vibration and let the water run past it, but sealed the crossovers with silicone anyway.

RE dynamat - I put it around the speakers and on the flat sections of the inner door skin, some bits on the big flat surface of the outer door skin and some bits on the flat surfaces of the door trim panel. I think I used one 12' packa nd one 4' pack to do all 4 doors like that, and had a little bit left over.

Agree with Nick re: underlay below the boot carpet. Makes a fair difference to road noise and reduces exhaust drone a bit too.
Old 04 November 2002, 12:40 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

many thanks for the input...I managed to fit them in the door cards
with some xtra sticky 3mm bonding tape i had lying around from fitting a bodykit on my old fto. Seems well protected there and wasnt too fiddly to connect up when fitting the door card back.

Nick, thanks for the info on the sill drain holes / sound proofing info...i only just picked this message up so today so didnt really notice if they were blocked...looks like i need to check the underside later.I bought a dynamat extreme door kit in the end as it was all i could get hold off in a rush trying to beat the rain...this was plenty to cover all the outside skin ( 1.5 rolls each side ) and is much lighter than the original dynamat.

It all sounds rather spendid now especially since i remove the rear shelf speakers to let the bass come through.

Cheers for your help folks.
Rich.