ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Replacing the aerial

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 09:51 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Anybody done this for a 99MY. If you remove the 2 screws holding it in place there is no slack in the wire or tube. Any tips? Can it be accessed from behind the A-pillar trim?
Cheers
Old 15 July 2002, 09:56 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mate,

I need the same answers because mine was broken by the thieving scumbags who tried to nick my Scooby last week. I have a new one ready to fit and was wondering how difficult it is going to be.

Cheers

Gary.
Old 15 July 2002, 11:40 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

What did you get in the kit and how long was the cable?
Old 15 July 2002, 11:45 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Hi Iain,

Bought mine from the main dealer for £24.
It contains a complete Aerial/tubing/bracket assembly and includes about 2/3ft of aerial cable.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gary.
Old 15 July 2002, 01:57 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Dealer reckons it takes about an hour and there is a connection behind the dash somewhere which then connects to the stereo. I've ordered one so hope its's easy! Let us know if you do it before me and vice-versa!
Cheers
Old 15 July 2002, 02:03 PM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

I will probably remove the radio first and see where the aerial cable leads from the radio to the connection socket as you say.

Good luck !!

Gary.
Old 15 July 2002, 02:17 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I bought one too - up and over door wasn't quite up and over as required when I reversed out

Gave up trying to fit it and took it back. Mechanic said it was a horrible job - have to take off the inside trim on the A pillar, graze your knuckles under the dash and swear a lot

Good luck....
Old 16 July 2002, 08:10 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've replaced plenty of this type of aerial before on Rovers and Montegos and other but not a Scoob.

I imagine the job is fairly similar.

The cable usually runs inside the A pillar and exits into the car down behind the drivers kick panel which is what makes the job difficult.

The best way to do it is, unplug the aerial from the head unit and follow it through under the drivers dash to where it goes through a hole in the metealwork and up the A pillar. Pull the cable through upto the hole in the metalwork so you've got a lenth of cable hanging out of the hole in the drivers footwell.

Attach a long thin piece of cable or string to the end of the aerial cable using electrical insulation tape and don't be shy with the tape. This piece of wire or string is called a MOUSE and if the mouse comes off the aerial cable, you're stuffed. Make sure it's firmly attached.

Get you're self an old rag and squirt plenty of washing-up liquid on the rag. wrap the rag around the aerial cable ar the hole and run it down the length of the aerial cable to make it nice and slippery.

Undo the aerials fixing screws and gently pull it out guiding the cable through the hole as you go untill the mouse comes through the top hole.

Now take the mouse off the old aerial cable and attach it to the new cable. Run that rag down the length of the new aerial cable then gently pull it in using the mouse. Once the cable is all the way in and you have the aerial sitting in position, whack the screws back in and thread the cable through to the head unit slot and plug it in. With a bit of luck it works.

Don't forget I've done loads of this type of aerial but not on a Scoob so the job maybe slightly different.
Old 16 July 2002, 08:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

'ere, 'e's givin' away all the trade secrets
Old 17 July 2002, 09:00 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Hello All,

Just fitted my Aerial on my Impreza Turbo Catalunya (1997) yesterday afternoon.
I thought it was simple enough. Took me an hour in total.
The Aerial cable is a one piece job with no connections in between.
First I took the radio out and followed the cable back to the aerial. Had to remove the drivers carpet back a little because ithe Aerial cable runs under it. Then I took off the drivers plastic still and footwell. Then I undid the Aerial assembly screws and just pulled the aerial cable through and that was it !!
Fitting the new one was just as easy since I just slotted the aerial cable down the A-Pillar and hoped it came out at the drivers footwell and it did after a couple of attempts.
So I am happy that it was a lot easier than I thought.
Don't know how difficult it is on later cars to do this job.

Good luck anyway.

Gary.