Levorg aerial

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2024, 11:45 PM
luke_skip
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Levorg aerial

Hey team,
I have a 2014 JDM Levorg and have fitted a Sony XAV-AX5500 but have poor radio reception. I am wondering if the Levorg has a amplified shark fin aerial? and if so, where do I connect the head units remote wire?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 12 March 2024, 10:36 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

The Levorg didn't arrive in Europe/Australasia until model year 2016 (MY16) so no real info available on the earlier JDM versions.
The UK Levorg has a power connector for the aerial in the LH "C" pillar area (R97) - see attached pdf.
This seems to be the same as the JDM models, although the aerial cord parts diagram does not show the connector.

Looking at images of the JDM aerial (86321VA000**) it appears to have the power connection.

The "remote" wire is for linking the steering wheel controls which would require an adaptor kit to suit your Levorg /Sony head unit (if available) assuming your Levorg is fitted with them (model dependent)

For example
https://aerpro.com/vehicles/subaru/s...g-2016-2020-vm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Levorg rear-tailgate loom.pdf (157.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Don Clark; 12 March 2024 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12 March 2024, 10:57 PM
luke_skip
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Don for the quick reply.
Old 13 March 2024, 02:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My experience with OEM aerials and aftermarket radios on most modern cars (not Subaru) is generally they give reception problems.

Especially AM/FM (DAB hit and miss). The problem is many OEM FM aerial systems use diversity reception either built into the head unit or on a powered signal switching/amplifing unit. These do not work well with aftermarket radios that are designed for a traditional non-diversity non-powered aerial.

I'm not sure if the Levorge is diversity, but a powered shark fin antenna may suggest this. Most aftermarket converters/lead adapters do not work very well.

My only solution in these cases is to replace the aerial with a aftermarket one, including the entire aerial cabling. Preferably a good brand like Calaero. You can get shark fins with built in DAB, GPS and traditional FM electronics, although I have better result on FM by using Bee-sting type aerials which use the whip for FM and the base for DAB/GPS.

My experience is mainly with van conversions where VWs have the aerials in the door mirrors and Merc Vitos has the aerial built into the front windscreen.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 March 2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12 April 2024, 11:07 AM
thiefcrazy98
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The Levorg didn't arrive in Europe/Australasia until model year 2016 (MY16) so no real info available on the earlier JDM versions.
The UK Levorg has a power connector for the aerial in the LH "C" pillar area (R97) - see attached pdf.
This seems to be the same as the JDM models, although the aerial cord parts diagram does not show the connector.

Looking at images of the JDM aerial (86321VA000**) it appears to have the power connection.

The "remote" wire is for linking the steering wheel controls which would require an adaptor kit to suit your Levorg /Sony head unit (if available) assuming your Levorg is fitted with them (model dependent)

For example
https://aerpro.com/vehicles/subaru/s...g-2016-2020-vm
That's impressive, how long have you been "swimming" in this?