Notices

Issues with 2001 WRX UK300 - Laggy etc

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2013, 01:13 AM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with 2001 WRX UK300 - Laggy etc

Well, recently got myself a 2001 WRX UK300 (Check Garage) but had a few issues with it but for what I paid it seemed worth it.

Firstly clutch needed replacing so had that replaced with an Exedy jobby. At the time I was advised that the turbo wasn't in the greatest of conditions so a second hand replacement was fitted along with a decatted up pipe while things were stripped. Pretty sure the oe one was blowing. Anyway, further down the line I have replaced the TMIC boost hose for an after market one. Tuesday I had a cat-back 3" Cobra Sport system fitted. A couple of issues with fitment but this is being rectified asap.

Anyway, now seems really laggy. Feel flat until 3,500 to 4,000 rpm and low power up to that point. Boost max is around 10 P.S.I.

I have checked all hoses and clamps. Water temp looks fine - in it's normal position on the gauge. The exhaust where it meets the centre cat is blowing quite a bit (As above being sorted asap) so was wondering if this would affect performance much and explain the 'lag'

It's hasn't been remapped or anything as I am pretty sure that for now it doesn't need it (I understand it would advantageous to get this done but funds are limited this close to Christmas)

Just looking for pointers at the moment really. Would the decatted up pipe and the Cobra cat back actually lose power for some reason and if so could someone explain why. Really busy at work so time is limited but really want to try and find what's happened before it turns out to be something terminal that could have been avoided.

Thanks In Advance and really sorry for the wall of text
Old 13 December 2013, 07:14 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

If my understanding is correct, you will need a remap, you should be getting a CEL on for the missing cat as well. I would think if the turbo is ok then the missing cat is probably causing issues.
Old 13 December 2013, 10:35 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicInAUK300
Well, recently got myself a 2001 WRX UK300 (Check Garage) but had a few issues with it but for what I paid it seemed worth it.

Firstly clutch needed replacing so had that replaced with an Exedy jobby. At the time I was advised that the turbo wasn't in the greatest of conditions so a second hand replacement was fitted along with a decatted up pipe while things were stripped. Pretty sure the oe one was blowing. Anyway, further down the line I have replaced the TMIC boost hose for an after market one. Tuesday I had a cat-back 3" Cobra Sport system fitted. A couple of issues with fitment but this is being rectified asap.

Anyway, now seems really laggy. Feel flat until 3,500 to 4,000 rpm and low power up to that point. Boost max is around 10 P.S.I.

I have checked all hoses and clamps. Water temp looks fine - in it's normal position on the gauge. The exhaust where it meets the centre cat is blowing quite a bit (As above being sorted asap) so was wondering if this would affect performance much and explain the 'lag'

It's hasn't been remapped or anything as I am pretty sure that for now it doesn't need it (I understand it would advantageous to get this done but funds are limited this close to Christmas)

Just looking for pointers at the moment really. Would the decatted up pipe and the Cobra cat back actually lose power for some reason and if so could someone explain why. Really busy at work so time is limited but really want to try and find what's happened before it turns out to be something terminal that could have been avoided.

Thanks In Advance and really sorry for the wall of text
As you have removed some major components and replaced them then a remap will be required.

A number of ECU parameters have been moved (decat, new turbo) and this will effect the performance.

Good luck.
Old 13 December 2013, 10:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

EXACTLY the same type of turbo?
Old 13 December 2013, 11:05 AM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, running a TD04L which it what was on there. Only mods are Japspeed uppipe, inter cooler hose kit, Cosworth panel filter and the 3" cobra cat back system. No other mods, still has catted down pipe and cat after down pipe.
Old 13 December 2013, 11:32 AM
theduck
Scooby Regular

Does sound like there is an underlying issue. Unfortunately I've never driven a standard one so don't know what they boost like as standard.
Old 13 December 2013, 11:38 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

have you checked it isnt something like the NPS faulty ?
Old 13 December 2013, 11:45 AM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Not sure what that is Stig? Sorry
Old 13 December 2013, 11:47 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Google ?
Old 13 December 2013, 11:59 AM
theduck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Google ?
Really?

NPS is the neutral position switch on the gear selector and can cause some running issues.
Old 13 December 2013, 12:08 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

What was it boosting to before hand?

My uk300 with ppp boosts to 15psi.

Epwhen you changed the turbo did you use the original actuator? As if that is not set right/ no good then it will affect boost.

Also, you need it mapped asap as driving it hard could end in a big repair bill.
Old 13 December 2013, 12:29 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fudgey
What was it boosting to before hand?

My uk300 with ppp boosts to 15psi.

Epwhen you changed the turbo did you use the original actuator? As if that is not set right/ no good then it will affect boost.

Also, you need it mapped asap as driving it hard could end in a big repair bill.
Interesting - my UK300 with PPP boosts close to 18psi! I was told that was what to expect from the PPP upgrades, its standard otherwise.

apologies for taking things off topic...
Old 13 December 2013, 04:58 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

OKay, home now and have Google should I need it

Checked on the way home from work and looks like it boosts to around 12 PSI but it then drops off which would be a boost leak. Going to check all pipework again and make sure everything is tight and where it should be. Recently put a second hand recirc. DV back on too so will check it's all on and connected properly.

Issue with the exhaust is being fixed next week so hoping this will not be causing any of the mentioned problems. Off to clean and check everything again.

Thanks for advice guys, any other ideas or suggestions you may then please let me know.

Again Many thanks
Old 13 December 2013, 06:06 PM
chrisn8601
Scooby Regular

Is the jap speed uppipe the same internal diameter as the oem up pipe ?
Old 13 December 2013, 06:15 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisn8601
Is the jap speed uppipe the same internal diameter as the oem up pipe ?
Was supposed to be buddy, and certainly looked like it was when engine was out

This is it I believe:
http://fastjaps.co.uk/parts/product_...products_id=72

Last edited by MedicInAUK300; 13 December 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 13 December 2013, 06:31 PM
chrisn8601
Scooby Regular

Hmm, not sure on oem size, again to get full benefits would be a remap,
Iv had a td04 in my blob before I changed it and im sure it was pulling from 2.8k onwards,

I know a blown or leaking uppipe can cause major lag issues but if you'v out a new one on I'm not to sure, maybe someone with Abit more experience can advise matey
Old 13 December 2013, 07:01 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hill79
Interesting - my UK300 with PPP boosts close to 18psi! I was told that was what to expect from the PPP upgrades, its standard otherwise.

apologies for taking things off topic...
My apologises to for taking things off topic. My WRX PPP boosts to 1.3 bar which is 18-19 psi too
Old 13 December 2013, 08:16 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Ill look again tomorrow lol.

Sometimes it went higher but usually around 15 iirc.
Old 14 December 2013, 08:41 PM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

My wrx ppp also boost to 1.3 bar or 18-19psi
Old 14 December 2013, 09:45 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Well, went out today and deffo only 15psi which tails off at high rpm.
I had it rolling roaded 2 days after purchase an it made 238bhp 227lbft iirc... So about right. Was on esso super too.
Old 24 December 2013, 06:20 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Update:
So things haven't improved at all. Cobra system is blowing like buggery from the second cat to the centre section which I am sure isn't helping. Boost maxes out at 12 PSI then drops to 10 PSI shortly followed by the CEL flashing and then staying on. Zero power below 3.5K and only hits max boost around 4.5K. Using quite a bit of fuel. No power low down and bogs down badly if you try to pull out of a junction etc. Pretty much at the end of my tether with this car. Something is not right and I have no idea what. Not felt the same since the Japspeed Up Pipe has been fitted. My wife's Nissan Qashqai actually feels much quicker.

Plan:
Going to rip the manifold off, replace the gaskets because I swear I can hear a blow from there and also ditch the up pipe and replace it with an STI decatted one. Also looking at the special deals on the Japspeed manifolds with up pipes too. Hope to get the Cobra centre section sorted soon too, waiting for a replacement as the current one is beyond a joke you don't even want to see the pictures of that
Old 24 December 2013, 06:55 PM
chrisn8601
Scooby Regular

Hope you get it sorted soon bud, uppipe leak saps a lot of power, I'm running 340 the now on a 3" system but reverting back to 2.5" to try and get more torque, standard headers and a sti uppipe will be good upto around 400bhp, just make sure you buy genuine gaskets and you'll be alright
Old 24 December 2013, 07:04 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris, yes I always and only ever use genuine gaskets etc Will ditch the up pipe and fit an STI one. Will also replace the header gaskets while I am there. Looking to get it mapped early in the new year so will get what I can sorted on it and see what can be done, would like to keep my 3" exhaust and hope that mapping at EngineTuner in Plymouth can pull some poundage back. Thanks fella
Old 24 December 2013, 07:08 PM
chrisn8601
Scooby Regular

Good man I ran my 3" in my td04 and was still great, I also got my engine builder john @ brd to give the standard headers and uppipe a port to improve spool up, very cost effective mod if you know someone local who can do for you, also got the headers and uppipe wrapped when I had them off as I had taken the heat shields off to stop heat soak into engine bay
Old 26 December 2013, 03:02 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Breakthrough

Gotten to a point where I was at a wall. Just jacked up and removed the heatshields etc for the manifold and discovered that the cheap *** gasket that was used on the Stainless up pipe that was recently fitted and exploded. Almost feels like someone is slapping my fingers there is that much of a blow. Lag Anyone!

Ordering new gaskets, will use genuine one's this time not cheap crap that way used and hope this resolves some of my issues. Also need to get the abortion of a centre section sorted too. Was about to give up and sell it for spares or repair