RCM headers and up pipe

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2013, 11:39 AM
jamiebsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM headers and up pipe

Morning all ,

Is the RCM exhaust manifold and up pipe decent ?

Which one is best to get ? The Venturi up pipe or normal decatted ? Which de cat down pipe is best to get ?

Also is the cosworth induction kit any good ?

These will be going on a 2005 sti

Cheers
Jamie
Old 22 October 2013, 11:49 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a set of rcm headers for sla ehere mate wrapped in dei heat wrap
Old 22 October 2013, 03:06 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

RCM headers are the GTspec and coupled with the venturi up-pipe will give good results on a 400 + spec. If you're aiming below 400(you haven't mentioned a turbo up-grade) then ported OE headers with the venturi up-pipe would be perfectly fine.
Talk to Alyn at ASPerformance

JohnD
Old 22 October 2013, 03:47 PM
jamiebsti
Scooby Regular

Running standard vf35 turbo ..

What about a Harvey trick up pipe ? What's the best headers to use with this ?
Old 22 October 2013, 04:00 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Depends what you are going for, 304 will become brittle and crack...

Equal length is what you want for best performance
Old 22 October 2013, 04:01 PM
jamiebsti
Scooby Regular

I'm aiming for 350 brake .. What unequal performance headers are there that have 3 bolt fitment ?

What about japspeeds spec 3 ?
Old 22 October 2013, 04:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

japspeed, rcm, gt etc are all the same, 304 stainless and the same 15/20yr/o design.

Ive tried them all, they are all much of a muchness, none last forever. I would fit japspeed over rcm etc as they are cheaper so it doesn't hurt as much when they fall apart. which will invariably happen
Old 22 October 2013, 04:29 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

you wont need headers for 350bhp, also that target is max on the vf35, seems the average for that is 330-350bhp, yes some have more on it but may have more mods,lower miles on there vf, or rollers been slightly bhp happy.
just sort the up-pipe out.

you'll need full sytem, good filter, i like the cosworth panel filter in oem airbox. fuel pump, and mapp to make that power, any more and you could start looking at the SC36/38 plus blowers.
Old 22 October 2013, 08:29 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jamiebsti
Running standard vf35 turbo ..

What about a Harvey trick up pipe ? What's the best headers to use with this ?
As I mentioned, talk to ASPerformance regarding the 'trick' up-pipe.
As said, retaining the VF35 you need a decent exhaust, ported OE headers with the above up-pipe and re-map. Should see you close to what you want.

JohnD
Old 22 October 2013, 08:34 PM
jamiebsti
Scooby Regular

ive just purchased a trick up pipe,

going to match with Gt spec headers ?
Old 22 October 2013, 08:42 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
japspeed, rcm, gt etc are all the same, 304 stainless and the same 15/20yr/o design.

Ive tried them all, they are all much of a muchness, none last forever. I would fit japspeed over rcm etc as they are cheaper so it doesn't hurt as much when they fall apart. which will invariably happen
So basically all after market headers other then those that are insanely expensive like the killer b ones which are about £1,000 are pointless?

I was planning on getting a set of RCM ones as all their stuff is top quality but it their headers are just the same cheapo ones I can get elsewhere that won't last very long there really is no point.

I have had two hayward and scott up-pipes crack on me at the turbo flange and now onto a japspeed one because its cheap and has some flex which may help... I am fed up with exhausts breaking as there are a pita to replace. Wouldn't be so bad if its was the centre or rear but it's always the bits you can't get to.

Really don't want to waste £400 on the RCM one and thena fortune on having it ceramic coated only to have it crack in a year or two.
Old 23 October 2013, 04:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
So basically all after market headers other then those that are insanely expensive like the killer b ones which are about £1,000 are pointless?

I was planning on getting a set of RCM ones as all their stuff is top quality but it their headers are just the same cheapo ones I can get elsewhere that won't last very long there really is no point.

I have had two hayward and scott up-pipes crack on me at the turbo flange and now onto a japspeed one because its cheap and has some flex which may help... I am fed up with exhausts breaking as there are a pita to replace. Wouldn't be so bad if its was the centre or rear but it's always the bits you can't get to.

Really don't want to waste £400 on the RCM one and thena fortune on having it ceramic coated only to have it crack in a year or two.

Hi there

We run GT Spec Headers on previous build without the single problem,we run like ALS or LC with them and when we are sold them,they're been just like we are bought them

Really depends,I've seen few of them blow around collectors and around where are slip joints(which is easy to fix for £50)

Many people running them on their cars without the single problem,just I would recommend use good heat wrap on them and you should be OK with stainless ties and you should be OK

About the cheap headers,some as been previously here posted by Duncan@Race Dynamix,when car has made around 90bhp less with cheap headers(Toyosports) like with OE

Flexi Up pipe is big NO,stay away from them,this Up pipe is oversized and can cause slower spool up and other problems

Jura
Old 23 October 2013, 06:24 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm good to know they can be ok... I am undecided really. So you recommend wrapping them? I have wrapped my oe headers and get the benefits of wrapping buts doesn't it also increase corrosion and up the chances of cracking due to making them even hotter?

Also I wanted to ceramic coat but I gather once this is done you won't be able to re-weld in the event of a repair needed without removing the coating in the area... and then can you even re-coat a small repaired part?

I know the flex up-pipe is not recommended but two high quality Haywood and scot solid up pipes which look great quality have split almost all the way around the turbo pipe to flange joint. So far the cheaper flexi is ok. I don't expect it to last as I am sure the flexi part will fail but I will do until I work out why the others crack! The flexi appeared to be the same bore and was not oversized as far as I could see. It hasn't changed performance to anything noticeable.
Old 23 October 2013, 09:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Hmm good to know they can be ok... I am undecided really. So you recommend wrapping them? I have wrapped my oe headers and get the benefits of wrapping buts doesn't it also increase corrosion and up the chances of cracking due to making them even hotter?

Also I wanted to ceramic coat but I gather once this is done you won't be able to re-weld in the event of a repair needed without removing the coating in the area... and then can you even re-coat a small repaired part?

I know the flex up-pipe is not recommended but two high quality Haywood and scot solid up pipes which look great quality have split almost all the way around the turbo pipe to flange joint. So far the cheaper flexi is ok. I don't expect it to last as I am sure the flexi part will fail but I will do until I work out why the others crack! The flexi appeared to be the same bore and was not oversized as far as I could see. It hasn't changed performance to anything noticeable.
If there's any slight misalignment between up-pipe and turbo with a solid up-pipe, there will be stress. A slip-jointed up-pipe like the Harvey item will be able to adjust for length and twist.

JohnD
Old 20 November 2013, 09:05 PM
kwan88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

I am also in the position, I am only looking at reaching 350bhp for my blob sti. Currently Rcm headers and uppipe is about £420 plus gaskets. Harvey smith ported with uppipe is about £500 plus gaskets. Japspeed spec 3 is only £200.

Which one would suit my needs or do I just get the Harvey smith trick uppipe?

Also where else can I get ported headers?

Last edited by kwan88; 20 November 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 21 November 2013, 08:35 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Harvey ported headers are NOT £500??

also we do various differing "trick" up-pipes (all slip-jointed) to suit not just differing manifolds but also different power targets.................

we find the GT Spec "venturi" up-pipe is pretty much always out-performed by our Harvey "trick" version, particuarly in spool/response
Old 21 November 2013, 08:42 AM
kwan88
Scooby Regular

sorry Alyn, I thought including all parts with up pipe, it was about £486? Maybe I misunderstood.

So do you think I should just go for the up pipe due to my low tune as I won't see much gains for headers?

Regards.

Regards.
Old 21 November 2013, 01:10 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

you will see gains from the headers in all states of tune and even on a std WRX with td04 they offer an improvement BUT they do require a custom map to suit

wether you can justify the extra cost is down to personal choice
Old 21 November 2013, 01:12 PM
kwan88
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alyn, I think I will just get the up pipe which should see some gains? I will call you.

Thanks
Old 24 December 2013, 06:48 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Holy Thread Revival Batman lol

So, I am running a Japspeed 'Flexi bit in the middle' up pipe and from reading above it seems this is a no no and *may* explain poor performance/Lag/running of my Bug UK300 WRX?

Can someone explain/advise please...
Old 24 December 2013, 06:53 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicInAUK300
Holy Thread Revival Batman lol

So, I am running a Japspeed 'Flexi bit in the middle' up pipe and from reading above it seems this is a no no and *may* explain poor performance/Lag/running of my Bug UK300 WRX?

Can someone explain/advise please...
it will be ok until the flexi breaks up and gets sucked through your turbo

at the very least get an sti up-pipe on there
Old 24 December 2013, 06:55 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
it will be ok until the flexi breaks up and gets sucked through your turbo

at the very least get an sti up-pipe on there
Was my biggest fear buddy, saw a horrible up pipe that this happened too after mine was fitted. Looks like an STI one will have to be found for now.

Thanks fella
Old 24 December 2013, 06:56 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicInAUK300
Was my biggest fear buddy, saw a horrible up pipe that this happened too after mine was fitted. Looks like an STI one will have to be found for now.

Thanks fella
no worries