misfire problem :/

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2013, 09:58 PM
scooby_simonb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire problem :/

hi all,wondering if anyone can help!!
i have a 92 classic that is currently off the road for a respray and few mods,first thing i did after striping it was fit a fmic kit,since fitting this ive had it running fine,then i removed the headers and fitted stainless ones,obviously removed the turbo ect to do so,and fitted a k and n induction kit,now it has an ideling problem.it woent tick over,has what seems to b a low down missfire,if left alone it will conk out,if you get the revs up and keep them up it revs fine,and seems to me ok :/ the check engine light flashes so i did a blnk test and it came up with an engine blink code of "engine temp sensor" which i have now replaced both of and still have the same problem :/ car seems to be smellin rich as well???

am i missing something stupid? or isit with the mods do i need a remap?

anyhelp grestfully received guys!!
Old 12 September 2013, 10:24 PM
daiski
Scooby Regular

maybe the maf? but it seems im saying that a lot lol.
Old 12 September 2013, 10:27 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Engine light still flashing?? This could possibly be the ECU detecting detonation/knock! After fitting the FMIC and headers have you had the car mapped to suit these changes?

First thing to do is reset the ECU I think. I had similar trouble when I first got my 97 T2000. I had a duff knock sensor as well. When I changed it, the engine light went off but the car ran like crap. Once I reset the ECU all was well again.

Easy way is to disconnect the battery and let it sit over night. Proper way is to use the green and black connectors. Do a search for the method. Like I say, it worked for me and is worth a try.

The flashing engine light would be a worry though, detonation will kill your engine and could be down to the FMIC and headers not being mapped in.

Last edited by piehole1983; 12 September 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12 September 2013, 10:39 PM
scooby_simonb
Scooby Newbie

no i havent yet had it mapped. i new it would need mapping but didnt realise that it would almost me like a misfire? but i guess it getting a diffrent amount of air so wrong amount of fuel and going from a standard airbox to an induction kit my ecu is just confused to hell right?
Old 12 September 2013, 11:12 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Yeah the ECU will be struggling to adjust, reset it!
Old 15 September 2013, 09:43 AM
scooby_simonb
Scooby Newbie

I tryed a reset but it has not worked :/ also looking into it a few people have suggested that the car will need mapping,but being a version 2 am i right in saying its not possible to map it?? i have noticed that my ecu has a gold plaque on it that says "mines" ???? does any body no much about these? also i have had the ecu unplugged will this off effected it? cheers simon
Old 15 September 2013, 11:33 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

If it says mines on it there's a good chance there'll be a mines "chip" inside it. That may be the reason it won't reset to default settings. I'm not really sure where you can go from here though. Perhaps contact some of the mappers on here and ask about the mines chip and if they can access/map them. The map will need adjusted for the FMIC.

Also double check that all the vacuum hoses are in place and secured properly. They caused me grief before in a similar way.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2013, 07:58 PM
scooby_simonb
Scooby Newbie

yea its strange,going to check the plugs and coils tommrow just to double check its not one gone down,it seem to run ok after i fitted the fmic, problem seems to of come since i changed the headers :s