Notices

1996 sport estate lack of power/missfire

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2013, 10:30 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 sport estate lack of power/missfire

I have a problem where it bogs down when you put your foot down if you slowly use throttle really gentle its better I have changed plugs to ngk r v powers put power tech plug leads on and a coil pack then code 22 came up so replaced knock sensor cleared codes no cel on and still bogging down but if you gentle use throttle to full throttle its better doin my head in its like its throttle position sensor but no codes?????
Old 30 August 2013, 10:31 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Not clutch as no smell and don't rev up.I have also changed fuel filter to a clear inline one to check it was getting fuel and to test fuel pump all ok
Old 31 August 2013, 11:27 AM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NinjaGreenImpreza
I have a problem where it bogs down when you put your foot down if you slowly use throttle really gentle its better I have changed plugs to ngk r v powers put power tech plug leads on and a coil pack then code 22 came up so replaced knock sensor cleared codes no cel on and still bogging down but if you gentle use throttle to full throttle its better doin my head in its like its throttle position sensor but no codes?????
I'm not saying that this is the problem at all, but check the knock sensor and ensure that it is put back in exactly the same direction that the old knock sensor was, as they can be very funny when not fitted correctly.

There is a section where the knock sensor gets fastened that is meant for the lead to sit on, if that makes sense. And if you have just put the lead in the general direction and fastened it then the sensor will move around and still give you problems whilst it might not always give out an error code.

Had that with mine a while back, but have since refit the sensor and happy days.

But like I said, don't quote me on that one, as that might not be your problem at all.
Old 01 September 2013, 09:25 AM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Thanks I fitted sensor in same place as old one.but not sure if old one has been off before as I have just got car.never owned one before.I also cleaned block where sensor sits if anyone has a pic where its ment to sit would be great
Old 01 September 2013, 10:18 AM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Thanks I fitted sensor in same place as old one.but not sure if old one has been off before as I have just got car.never owned one before.I also cleaned block where sensor sits if anyone has a pic where its ment to sit would be great
The sensor can only go in one place, it is the direction that makes the difference.

Don't know if these photos will help at all, but thought I'd upload them for you to have a look at.
Old 01 September 2013, 05:11 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Yeah my sensor is in that same position but not the same mine is a single pin conection no multi plug on sensor just wire straight to white conector
Old 01 September 2013, 05:11 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for quick reply and pics
Old 01 September 2013, 05:17 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Thanks for quick reply and pics
No worries, glad to help out where I can, even if it didn't resolve things.

At least you know that it ain't your sensor that's acting up. Sorry to hear that the problem is still unresolved.

Hope you get it sorted soon. I know how annoying it can be having a problem with the Scooby and just wanting it resolved.

Edit: have you cleared/reset your ECU after you changed the knock sensor?

Last edited by Bushy-N/A; 01 September 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02 September 2013, 06:10 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Yep annoying I'm guessing the lamba sensor.don't miss on idle or driving just underload but if u dip clutch and rev it then release it its ok and if u really kick it in the gutts its ok but poping down hills when you let off accelerator and smells really rich at back.but a lamba sensor should through a code up surely
Old 02 September 2013, 06:29 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Yes it should give out a code, that's why I reset the ECU and drove around for a while until the CEL came on again. I then pulled over and checked the codes, it gave me 22 and 32 as error codes. Replaced the sensors one at a time and repeated the reset after each one and never had a problem with them again.

I felt very happy when the CEL stayed off after that.
Old 03 September 2013, 08:05 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Whats code 32
Old 03 September 2013, 09:34 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Whats code 32
32 = Oxygen Sensor / Lambda Sensor

All the codes can be found here: http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...odeDefinitions
Old 08 September 2013, 03:12 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Well I changed lamba sensor today still the same bogging down underload more when goin up hill. Starting to what feels like cutting fuel off and on when cruising. Its seriously doing my head in to the point I'm going to scrap it.I have changed plugs from ngk r vpower proper plugs for it.got performance leads brand new a second hand coil pack off my mate old impreza which ran perfect didn't Change the way it ran so put original back on I have also put a brand new knock sensor on it right position.and a lamba sensor today which came off my mate impreza which runs spot on still the same.what the well can it be.also checked fuel supply so I know pumps ok changed fuel filter put a number of fuel treatments in
Old 08 September 2013, 06:53 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate, that must be so disheartening. I was like that with mine until I did the necessary sensor changes and it all worked out fine for my Scooby. I really do hope that you get to the bottom of your problem (and soon too).
Old 08 September 2013, 07:40 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

If you find out what it is let me no I have same problem but not any specific areas as in up hill,cornering etc!! If I drive it and it happens normally I pull over turn car off back on and it's fine!!! I thought it was dodgey fuel but keeps doing it from time to time!
Old 10 September 2013, 06:55 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Yes its really annoying.I will hopefully get it sorted and reply to let people know
Old 10 September 2013, 07:00 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

I have been running my car on 97+ fuels this week so far and might sound real stupid but mine hasn't stuttered/misfired kinda thing since filling it up with it! As its a sport I normally put cheap fuel in it! Just waiting for it to start again
Old 10 September 2013, 08:53 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Mine ain't doing it now all I have done is unplug air flow meter and drove it to see if it was that and wasn't as ran worse.pulled back up sprayed worth air intake cleaner in airflow meter and in fuel pressure regulator and all vac pipes including idle valve cleaned throttle body also and tightened the knocksensor and pluged green and black connectors in under steering wheel above pedals and drove for around 5mile and pulled over and unpluged this clears all codes in memory.it still splutters now and again but just feels like fuel cut for littrally a second but cars running good I also put a petrol treatment in.and contact cleaner on all sensors
Old 10 September 2013, 08:55 PM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Am not holding my breath
Old 15 September 2013, 08:42 AM
NinjaGreenImpreza
Scooby Newbie

Just to let everyone know if your car losses power and missfires under load check fuel pressure regulator.thats what it was.plus felt like it was cutting out when you are cruising because throttle cable was loose and throttle position sensor needed set all ok now.still pops when I back off but has a 3" exhaust from cat no center box and a scorpion backbox so think its normal sounds ok.just need a unequal length manifold as mine is equal one