Notices

Bottom end's gone!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2013, 02:40 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom end's gone!!!!

I'm absolutely devastated. I had Tim over to do a service and check out a strange noise coming from just behind the dash. Service went fine and all fluids looked fairly healthy but when we inspected the strange noise it turns out the bottom end has gone!!
I only picked the car up a month ago and drove it back from Somerset with no issues at all. Its a V5 sti mapped by enginetuner at 346bhp.
I drove it to stansted and by the time I had come home the MAF had gone. I replaced the MAF and then it developed this noise. So I've only really had 2 trips in it and now it's knackered!!!

Tim's given me a few options but just wondering what people think would be a good way to get her back on the road. I'm tempted with a 2.1 kit........but I could break it to try and get my money back???

Anyway, I'm gutted at the moment but I know that I'll get her back up and running at some point later this year!!
The money pit is open................
Old 23 July 2013, 02:50 PM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing, bought my Type R and 2 weeks later the bottom end went. I had a full standard rebuild done and had it remapped for piece of mind....never looked back since. I guess if you plan on keeping the car a while a rebuild is the way to go, otherwise breaking it to recoup some money is an option.
Old 23 July 2013, 03:08 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Yeh I wanna keep it I think. Breaking would be a huge pain!!
Im probably gonna go with the sti9 bottom end as 400bhp max would be fine. Just gutted its happened!!!!! I didn't even get a chance to enjoy it before it died!!!
Old 23 July 2013, 03:58 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Looking on the bright side, at least this way you're going to end up with a cracking car with a known bullet-proof engine which you can then really enjoy.

I do feel very sorry for you though.
Old 23 July 2013, 04:16 PM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimboscooby
Yeh I wanna keep it I think. Breaking would be a huge pain!!
Im probably gonna go with the sti9 bottom end as 400bhp max would be fine. Just gutted its happened!!!!! I didn't even get a chance to enjoy it before it died!!!
Exactly the same......I know it's heartbreaking but in my case I now have a freshly rebuilt engine, new clutch, oil pump, water pump, Cambelt etc etc and I know the map is spot on. Essentially it shouldn't be needing anything other than routine servicing for a good time to come....and that is a nice feeling!
Old 23 July 2013, 05:55 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Yeh I know what you mean. I think it's definitely worth doing and worth doing properly so I know that it won't need anything. For a long time.
I'm so glad I didn't have the AlcAtek fitted and mapped before this happened. I'd have been really annoyed then!!!!
Old 23 July 2013, 06:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

2.5 it
Old 23 July 2013, 06:38 PM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimboscooby
I'm so glad I didn't have the AlcAtek fitted and mapped before this happened. I'd have been really annoyed then!!!!

It may not have happened in the first place then though. Did it have any modifications?
Old 23 July 2013, 07:14 PM
scooby 887
Scooby Regular

had this happen to me last month drove it home then went out in it the next day. i did 15 miles and the bottom end went Tim of Subbus is rebuilding it as we speak i've also gone with the sti9 bottom end rebuilt with ACL bearings uprated head gaskets etc. it's a real pain but worth it in the long run i hope you get it sorted mate
Old 23 July 2013, 08:07 PM
Scoobyblues
Scooby Regular

Very unlucky buddy.
I had pretty much the same thing happen to me, picked up my new purchase big grin, happy as larry, drove the 120miles home, bimbled around town for a few weeks then the bottom end suddenly went **** up on a Sunday evening, just 3 weeks later. Went through the financial pain of getting it sorted and back on the road, loving it all over again and now the misses has lost her job and I can't afford to run three vehicles with two children,so my little lovely will be going up for sale very soon :-(

Not that any of this helps you of course, but I feel your pain. They're great cars, love the burble when taking it easy and the pops and bangs when giving it a bit of poke. Good luck with the rebuild, you're not the first and definitely won't be the last.
Old 23 July 2013, 08:13 PM
carpeys
Scooby Regular

Default crankshaft

hi all when doing a rebuild why is it necessary to have a new crankshaft , why cant they be reground like on any other engine
Old 23 July 2013, 08:21 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, Had my car 7 weeks and spun a bearing a took bottom end out.

Had it rebuild but now cant start it with out listening for knocks etc...

Rebuild it if you can afford it with upgraded parts.
Old 23 July 2013, 08:32 PM
Scoobyblues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jacko4130
I had the same problem, Had my car 7 weeks and spun a bearing a took bottom end out.

Rebuild it if you can afford it with upgraded parts.
Im exactly the same Jack lol
Old 23 July 2013, 09:06 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat, bought a classic sti last year and by the time I got it home it sounded like a kerb drill.
Unless you want ridiculous amounts of power I wouldnt bother with a kit. You can save money by using new age sti rods (capable of 400 bhp) mahle pistons fast road pistons etc.
Talk to Paul at www.finchmotorsport.co.uk He'll advise you and build you a top quality motor. The attention to detail and quality of the engine builder is more important than high spec parts.

Last edited by edsel; 23 July 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 23 July 2013, 09:34 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby 887
had this happen to me last month drove it home then went out in it the next day. i did 15 miles and the bottom end went Tim of Subbus is rebuilding it as we speak i've also gone with the sti9 bottom end rebuilt with ACL bearings uprated head gaskets etc. it's a real pain but worth it in the long run i hope you get it sorted mate
Ah so it's yours he's doing at the moment. It was Tim who came and diagnosed it. That's the route I think I'll go down too. Cheers, I hope I can get it sorted soon too. At least I'll have a few weeks to save up some money while he does yours!
Old 23 July 2013, 09:39 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Wow!!! Seems like a lot of people are as unlucky as me. It's just one of those things I guess but at least as Osimabu says, at least I'll know it's healthy when it's done.
I suppose it could be worse. Can't wait to get her back on the road but I know what you guys are saying, I'll be listening out for every little noise from now on!!
Cheers for all the positive words people!! She'll be back. Better and stronger!!!!!
Old 23 July 2013, 09:51 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Lots of good reasons above to keep an eye on them engine oil levels guys. It happened to me years ago with my P1,after the rebuild and re.running in it overheated as soon as I gave it some turbo and then needed new heads too.
Old 23 July 2013, 11:34 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

that bad luck,but least you have a top bloke & subaru mechanic on the case tim is eceptional at what he does.good luck
Old 25 July 2013, 12:09 PM
Leon1
Scooby Newbie

This happened with me not in an impreza but an evo drove 350 miles home. Take it out the next day and BANG. Had the engine replaced at the cost of 2500 and a few days later it spun a shell on the new engine.

Bought a classic impreza and am pretty scared to drive it!
Old 25 July 2013, 12:32 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Its called Subaru Paranoia
We all get it.Even a change in road surface will bring on a panic attack
Old 25 July 2013, 12:34 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

It can be down to lack of maintenance or pure bad luck. Touch would I am yet to have a failure. Bought my P1 with a failed engine and currently being built into a 500bhp weapon
Old 25 July 2013, 01:02 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Jim, i'm gutted for you mate.

Since your doing a rebuild, might be worth throwing in an oil sump baffle plate from RCM, I've heard they can help reduce the risk of bottom end failure. How true that is, I don't know, but, out of caution, I've bought one!
Old 25 July 2013, 01:29 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jacko4130

I think that's the case with most car enthusiasts. The slightest rattle or tap beings on a cold sweat.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:48 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
Jim, i'm gutted for you mate.

Since your doing a rebuild, might be worth throwing in an oil sump baffle plate from RCM, I've heard they can help reduce the risk of bottom end failure. How true that is, I don't know, but, out of caution, I've bought one!
Sounds like a plan!!! I'll look into that but if it helps its gotta be worth it!!!
Where abouts in london are you by the way? You dont drive through tower hill much do you? Saw one like yours there last week i think it was??
Old 25 July 2013, 01:50 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
It can be down to lack of maintenance or pure bad luck. Touch would I am yet to have a failure. Bought my P1 with a failed engine and currently being built into a 500bhp weapon
Sounds like it'll be lively when your done!! Whos doing your build and what spec are you going for??
Old 25 July 2013, 05:13 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carpeys
hi all when doing a rebuild why is it necessary to have a new crankshaft , why cant they be reground like on any other engine
Because the case hardening is so thin they won't take a grind !