turbo boost cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2013, 01:58 PM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo boost cutting out

hi all, im new to this so please dont shoot me down too quick
my turbo seals went on my td04 turbo so i bought another ( which was second hand), but it had a bigger restrictor pill so i used that vacume pipe as i thought it would siute the turbo, when i took the car up the road to try it i had severe boost cut, so i tried the original restrictor and the same, the only diffrence is that the turbo i replaced came off an import ( but still td04 ) and original was uk, also the wastgate had a diffrent setting on the actuator bar, but ive set that to what it was originally and now i got less boost and the boost cut is a lot less agresive, just cant get it to run right any help would be appriciated.
eifion
Old 22 July 2013, 02:10 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hiya,

what boost levels are you seeing, what gear and what model of car?

pete
Old 22 July 2013, 02:27 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Have you tried using your original actuator on the new turbo? Just to rule that out?
Old 22 July 2013, 03:03 PM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
Hiya,

what boost levels are you seeing, what gear and what model of car?

pete
hi, its a 2002 wrx, i dont know what the boost is as there is no gauge, it is fairly standard i think, the only thing mechanicaly is that its running decat.
eifion
Old 22 July 2013, 03:09 PM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
Have you tried using your original actuator on the new turbo? Just to rule that out?
hi, ive just changed the settings on the one that was on it, before i changed them the cut out was very hard and seemed to hold the car back, since the change in settings ive not got as much boost and the cut out is smoother, 1st and2nd lots of boost, starts to run out in 3rd and nearly none in 4th and 5th
Old 22 July 2013, 03:17 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

The spring could be worn not holding boost well, ideally you need to figure out the boost its at just now and take it from there, check for leaks around turbo, intercooler etc
Old 22 July 2013, 09:44 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

You definitely need to know what boost is being produced - could be overshooting it's target and swinging between over and under boost which you would see immediately on a boost gauge/romraider log/torque app log. Is there anyone you can borrow a gauge off to see what's happening?
Old 23 July 2013, 05:07 AM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

dont know anyone with a gauge or how to get the apps, i should be getting a new boost solenoid today so i will put that on and see what happens, hope it will sort something out, will report back later to let you know what the result is
thanks eifion
Old 23 July 2013, 06:42 PM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

changed the boost solenoid today and checked for any leaks in the pipes ect, it seemed better but still not right, so i put the original vacume pipe back on where the restrictor is smaller now ive no boost cut but very little boost again, not sure what side the restrictor goes on the 2 port solenoid, hope somebody can help in some way.
thanks eifion
Old 24 July 2013, 12:52 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

How do you know it's low boost if you have no boost gauge though? Get on eBay, pick up a vag com lead for 5 quid and use romraider logger which is free.

Use romraider to see your manifold pressure (boost) and report back. Meantime I wouldnt go driving the car too hard until you know what's up.

Peter
Old 24 July 2013, 12:56 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eifion
changed the boost solenoid today and checked for any leaks in the pipes ect, it seemed better but still not right, so i put the original vacume pipe back on where the restrictor is smaller now ive no boost cut but very little boost again, not sure what side the restrictor goes on the 2 port solenoid, hope somebody can help in some way.
thanks eifion
Hiya,

Also restrictor should be on the pipe coming from the compressor housing to the T piece, the boost solenoid then bleeds off additional pressure headed to the waste gate to increase turbo boost. It's possible the car is holding back intentionally as its logged a fault - maybe some crap fuel? In which case an ecu reset might be worth a go, you can do this with the vag com lead and another free app called " learning view" .

Peer
Old 24 July 2013, 03:55 AM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
Hiya,

Also restrictor should be on the pipe coming from the compressor housing to the T piece, the boost solenoid then bleeds off additional pressure headed to the waste gate to increase turbo boost. It's possible the car is holding back intentionally as its logged a fault - maybe some crap fuel? In which case an ecu reset might be worth a go, you can do this with the vag com lead and another free app called " learning view" .

Peer
thanks peter i will get a boost gauge and see what is happening, it will probably be a couple of days before delivery and to install it, will report back then, again many thanks eifion
Old 31 July 2013, 05:21 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

well did you get sorted?
Old 01 August 2013, 02:44 AM
eifion
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti

hi, sorry for any delay in getting back to you, i changed the wastegate
and things seem to be running preety good now, just got one little flat spot in 4th gear, but its very litttle, dont know if it makes a diffrence but the numbers on the wastegate bracket were diffrent,as its only the seals gone on my original turbo going to get that repaired (when i got the money) so everything should be sorted, if anyone can recomend someone to repair original turbo i would be very greatfull.
eifion