Wastegate on TD05H

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 10:10 PM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I have taken the Turbo off my MY94 WRX and had it put into a Xray machine and there are no cracks etc.

Also looked at the wastegate valve and noticed that I could turn the small disc quite easily when it was closed so I took off the Actuator and turned the thread 1 whole turn which has tightened the disc quite a bit that I can only just turn it.

Am I doing the right thing and should I tighten it again so that I cannot turn it atall

I have also polished with wirewool and 1200 paper with lots of elbow grease all the openings and they are quite smooth now. Will this make any difference to performance do you think??
Every little helps that what I say.

Any ideas

Thanks
Scott
Old 22 May 2002, 10:56 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

I'm not sure, but I've read elsewhere that tightening the actuator by even a small amount has a significant change in boost control by the wastegate soloniod. I'd be very aware of this and cautiously check your boost levels once your car is back up and running, the way I see it is the wastegate 'flutters' to control boost, if it is stiff and cannot move freely then overboost may occour and you'll hit fuel cut. I'm no expert though, just mildly knowledgable

Justin
Old 22 May 2002, 12:06 PM
Stephen Cole
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just out of interest, how easy was it to remove the Turbo ?
eg seized / inaccessable bolts etc
and heatsheild bolts

Stephen
Old 22 May 2002, 07:23 PM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

Thanks

I am a bit worried now. I will check and I can always put it back if I need too as it is accessable when installed.

---------------------------

A big pain in the AR$E

Yes they were seized and the bolts are so difficult to get too.

Scott
Old 22 May 2002, 10:44 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

scoooti5

AFAIK the discs are loose on purpose so that they will find their own seat and seal the port when shut. the flaps are generally loose in their maounts so can't be tightened themselves - screwing the rod to make it shorter adjusts the setting of the wastegate and hence the boost control - it can't release as easy and hence slightly increases the boost which may or may not have detrimental effects you take the chance. isn't this what a lot of spotty oiks do with "fords" and the like when they don't know any better to try to up the boost levels before the big bang takes over?

most wastegate rods are either made unadjustable or are thread marked with a blob of paint etc to show whether they've been played with i.e. what warranty did you think you had if you want to make a claim (and I've seen it's a my94 so out of warranty)

Apple
Old 22 May 2002, 10:47 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

just thought of an extra bit

try to put bolts / studs back in with some high temp grease (that'll stand approx 1000°C) like MoS etc to give you a chance if you want to get it off again

Apple
Old 22 May 2002, 11:31 PM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

Okay,

Thanks for your time in this.

I thought maybe over the years as it a older car it may have worn looser and by tightening it 1 turn may help, but maybe not.

I think I will try it and see what happens!! Any sign of over boost and I will put it straight back.

Thanks Again
Scott