Notices

help need advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2013, 07:05 PM
Sparky 12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help need advice

Right iv not long owned my Impreza classic and iv found a problem when in 3 at about 80 under hard acceleration its like hitting a wall with a sudden loss in power it didn't do it if i hold my foot just off the floor help i don't want to spend loads of dollar changing this hoping it will work. Even a garage recommendation near Cannock i can take it to
Old 28 April 2013, 08:21 PM
Scooby Regular

Have you got an exhaust/induction kit fitted? I had this on mine, only very rarely when on track it would maybe do it once or twice during the course of the day. Most likely culprit is the ECU cutting the fuel due to it sensing overboost I was told, if you've got a strong engine and turbo and you've fitted an induction kit and a less restrictive exhaust it can sometimes almost be too efficient and raise the boost higher than the ECU's paramaters allow.

However that's just what I was told when I had my problems, could be any number of things!
Old 28 April 2013, 11:40 PM
Sparky 12
Scooby Regular

I have front mounted intercooler de cat exhaust air filter td05 turbo not sure if injectors are upgraded would you say it could need new ecu
Old 28 April 2013, 11:49 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car mapped for the mods??
Old 28 April 2013, 11:59 PM
Sparky 12
Scooby Regular

IM not sure is there a way of finding out
Old 29 April 2013, 12:01 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparky 12
IM not sure is there a way of finding out
If your not sure id say not.
Its overboosting and fuel cutting at a guess.
Get a remap or a new engine
Old 29 April 2013, 12:08 AM
Sparky 12
Scooby Regular

I thought that would be the case am i right in thinking that my ecu cant be just plugged in and done in sure someone i had look at it said it wouldn't pick up the ecu
Old 29 April 2013, 10:19 AM
Scooby Regular

Depends what year your classic is mate, if it's a 99-00 (i.e ph2 facelift) then the ECU can be remapped via ECUTEK, although it's still not cheap as for some reason you need to pay for a license first, then a couple of hours of mapping so it works out at £500ish from most mappers on here.

If it's a 98 or older car the best and most cost effective way of getting it mapped is to fit an ESL daughter board to the standard ECU which will allow it to be mapped, again a few mappers on here will fit and map one for you for around the £500 quid mark. Alternatively you can pick up a 2nd hand Apexi Power FC ecu for around £250 but that will also then need mapping so you're looking at, yep you guessed it 5 to 600 quid again. It seems there's a conspiracy afoot to make sure Imprezas can't be remapped for less than half a bag of sand!

But from the mods you've listed it definitely sounds like you need to get it looked at by a mapper, you can get away with a few exhaust and induction changes without needing a map but as soon as you start messing with turbos and injectors your standard ECU won't know where the hell it is, it definitely sounds like fuel cut due to overboosting now.

Contact Jolly Green Monster on here to see about getting it mapped. It's not all bad news though, you probably can't notice but your car will be massively down on power at the moment and not running right, so if you spend the cash on getting it mapped with your mods it'll come back a lot faster than it is now! I'm guessing if you've got 440 (yellow) injectors in at the moment you'll be looking at around the 320 bhp mark if everything else is in order!