Notices

Legacy just died, suspect cam belt?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2013, 09:15 AM
XBZ3220
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy just died, suspect cam belt?

Hi, I am new to subarus and bought a legacy gtb twin turbo a few months back . I have noticed a slight coolant loss over the months but could not find where it was coming from. yesterday was driving on a dual carriageway and there was a horrendous screeching from under the bonnet then the engine cut. smoke was coming from under the left side cam belt cover!! not a good sign!
My suspension is that the water pump may have been leaking which caused it to seize and break the belt.... is this a likely scenario for this car? whats the damage likely to be, will the internals be damaged after a broken cam belt. any help appreciated as i don't want this to be a short ending to owning a subaru!! thanks ,Dave in Poole Dorset
Old 28 April 2013, 11:31 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Only way to tell is take the cam belt cover off and have a look. If the belt has snapped it may have caused major damage like dropped valves and the associated damage that would cause. You can inspect for this by putting a camera inside the spark plug hole and having a look.
Old 28 April 2013, 01:39 PM
XBZ3220
Scooby Newbie

So there is definitely potential for valve to piston contact with a broken cam belt on the boxer engine then?
Old 28 April 2013, 01:48 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XBZ3220
So there is definitely potential for valve to piston contact with a broken cam belt on the boxer engine then?
Yeah, very few cars on the market that have enough distance from an open valve to the piston crown at TDC, especially performance engines. I could be wrong as i have never encountered this on a subaru, but i doubt it. The only car i have ever had that broke a cambelt was a Fiesta 18 diesel. The result there was bent valves and a cracked cylinder head. whip the cambelt cover off and check whether the belt is broken first.
Old 28 April 2013, 03:22 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Also i would like to add, when my cambelt snapped on the ford it gave no warning at all. No squealing, no smoke, the engine just cut out and the engine dash lights came on.
Your problem could be the water pump bearing has collapsed causing the belt to rub and smoke until it locks everything up. If you take the cambelt cover off and the belt is still on everything should still be timed correctly so no dropped valves ect. Would just be a case of buying a cambelt kit including idlers, tensioners and water pump.