Notices

After market ECUs and fault diagnostics.

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2013, 11:01 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market ECUs and fault diagnostics.

How does this work, say you have a Simtek, does the engine check light still appear? Does the test mode connector still work?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 20 January 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08 April 2013, 11:40 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Simtek (the early version) ,no the test mode connector doesn't work ,the CEL does come on but in my car it's for the rev limit or knock detection.
Old 09 April 2013, 12:50 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Think my GEMS is the same, Can your OE ECU be remapped? One option possibly, would be if you have a problem then re-fit the OE ECU to get a fault code
Old 09 April 2013, 01:02 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

As above guys said,on SimTek test connectors doesn't work,CEL on earlier SimTek will indicate usually knock

If you want to keep functionality of yours ECU I would ask ESL dealers if this will be cheaper/cost effective and may better option(in some cases)

Or you can go with Syvecs where you have datalogging for free and you can easy datalog the problem etc

SimTek/AlacTek have this option which is for extra fee,but I'm not if its works easy as on Syvecs

Jura
Old 09 April 2013, 01:17 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

So with aftermarker ECU's there is data loging and this is done alternatively not through the 16 pin ODB?

How is it done, connect to the new control module?

I'm only asking as i have got a bit happy and removed the test and read connectors and now i have an issue and i can't access the faults, i have very little idea how to connect them back up also

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 20 January 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saalro
So with aftermarker ECU's there is data loging and this is done alternatively not through the 16 pin ODB?

How is it done, connect to the new control module?

I'm only asking as i have got a bit happy and removed the test and read connectors and now i have an issue and i can't access the faults, i have very little idea how to connect them back up also

Thanks
Sam
Hi Sam

On some aftermarket ECU datalogging is done via their specific cables,which you will need to purchase(prices varies from £150)

On Syvecs is done via RJ45(Ethernet cable),which you will need connect to back of the Syvecs ECU,datalogging time varies from memory which is equipped ECU

Have look on this video and hope helps,there is explanation of the datalogging on the Syvecs ECU and how it works and how you can trace the problem etc.

On Syvecs you can access ECU as above via RJ45 cable and then you can use SCal SW and under errors you can see what sensor is faulty or what error is there,but usually I'm using datalogging for tracing the problems with SCal

Jura
Old 09 April 2013, 07:18 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

On ESL the Subaru diagnostics protocol still works, the new software has a fault code reader and clearer and it also comes with an aftermarket style logger for the best of all worlds.
Old 09 April 2013, 10:12 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Basically my issue is, i have stripped a lot of wiring out, to the point that i have removed the test/read mode, so at the moment i can't even access my own ECU.

I have no idea how to resolve this now as all the wiring diagrams are incorrect for my vehicle that i have found.

How are these after market ECUs fitted, if my test/read mode wiring isn't there, will this effect installation of a aftermarket ECU?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 20 January 2018 at 05:37 PM.