Notices

what causes subaru bottom end knock?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2013, 07:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default what causes subaru bottom end knock?

before i bought my impreza i was so scared after hearing horror stories of the bottom ends going,what causes it? my car is a 54 plate wrx and at 58k when it was only 5 years old the bottom end went,the car had regular oil changes BUT everytime it did it was given a flush treatment

it was then fitted with a brand new sti bottom end with a cosworth high pressure oil pump and since that has had no flush treatments

im just wondering what causes them to go as its quite common,is it neglect/thrashing from cold/poor oil used/faulty or poor parts used on the engines
Old 07 April 2013, 07:48 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Combination of many factors really, I'd suspect it's poor maintenance or neglect ie not warming up or cooling down correctly.
However many different cars receive the same neglect and lack of maintenance but don't seem to suffer from the bottom end knock, the flat 4 is a great motor and very compact but in making it small also made the bearings very small too. On a normal 4 pot engine the bearings would be much bigger giving more support to the crank. I'd guess this is a big contributing factor.

By the way this is all just my own opinion I'm sure others will differ.
Old 07 April 2013, 07:51 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianbott
Combination of many factors really, I'd suspect it's poor maintenance or neglect ie not warming up or cooling down correctly.
However many different cars receive the same neglect and lack of maintenance but don't seem to suffer from the bottom end knock, the flat 4 is a great motor and very compact but in making it small also made the bearings very small too. On a normal 4 pot engine the bearings would be much bigger giving more support to the crank. I'd guess this is a big contributing factor.

By the way this is all just my own opinion I'm sure others will differ.
thats another thing i dont really get,warming an engine??? should it be left on tickover to warm up or driven off boost for a few miles,surely leaving it on tickover is not the way to do it?
Old 07 April 2013, 07:51 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

My classic engine is now 13 years old, no issues so far
Old 07 April 2013, 07:54 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Mine maybe warms up for 1/2 mins while I put the seatbelt on and choose my music. Then I drive it off boost for first mile or till the water and oil are warmed up.

Last edited by blackvenom; 07 April 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07 April 2013, 07:55 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Mine maybe warms up for 1min while I put the seatbelt on and choose my music. Then I drive it off boost for first mile, till the water and oil are warmed up.

oil will take far more than a mile to warm up, more like ten to fifteen minutes on my oil temp gauge in the winter
Old 07 April 2013, 07:56 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Mine maybe warms up for 1min while I put the seatbelt on and choose my music. Then I drive it off boost for first mile, till the water and oil are warmed up.
from starting my car @ 4am its literally a few seconds until i drive off,never go over 2500 rpm tho until warm which i will say is about 6 miles of driving buy then im at work so really my car doesnt use boost until the weekend
Old 07 April 2013, 08:05 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

As above really drive it sensibly for a good 10 mins or so then thrash away lol.
Old 07 April 2013, 08:56 PM
stvscooby
Scooby Regular

you should not use an engine flush in a scoob
Old 07 April 2013, 09:05 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

I was always told to never flush a scoob engine, kills the bearings apparently!
Old 07 April 2013, 09:10 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
from starting my car @ 4am its literally a few seconds until i drive off,never go over 2500 rpm tho until warm which i will say is about 6 miles of driving buy then im at work so really my car doesnt use boost until the weekend
Same here, start it up get going and then It's about 6 miles to Bingham and then give it the beans . By the way this is my 4th scooby covering a classic, 03 wrx, 55 plate STI and the S202. Never had any slapping or knocking in any of them and they are driven
Old 07 April 2013, 09:16 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

as said before, poor maintenance, driven hard when cold, crap fuel.

I idle mine until water is getting up to temp then drive keeping off boost until oil is warm.

Last edited by topshot; 07 April 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07 April 2013, 09:19 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Would crap fuel cause bottom end failure?
Old 07 April 2013, 10:14 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topshot
as said before, poor maintenance, driven hard when cold, crap fuel.

I idle mine until water is getting up to temp then drive keeping off boost until oil is warm.
Nearly all manufacturers will recommend driving off straight after starting to aid in warm up times, if you leave it idling it will not warm as quick causing more damage.

Originally Posted by Lee225
Would crap fuel cause bottom end failure?
Can cause knock which will cause bottom end damage.
Old 07 April 2013, 10:19 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Surely you need to get oil round engine before driving?
Old 07 April 2013, 10:37 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Oil will be circulated around the engine within seconds of starting.
Old 07 April 2013, 10:38 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

The quicker an engine warms up the better, most engine wear occurs during the warm up process so if left ticking over for too long the oil doesn't protect at it's best.
Old 08 April 2013, 11:36 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

It's a design problem, the cranks ony have very narrow big end bearings, the bearings are only 16.5mm wide, most inline engines have bearings 20mm+. Although you can help the engines by warming up properly and using good oil etc, its inevitabe that they don't last as long as other engines. Ive just done 2 hatch STI engines, both mint with FSH, one 28K one 34K, both had bearings worn to the copper! Caught them both in time though.
Old 08 April 2013, 07:37 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianbott
Nearly all manufacturers will recommend driving off straight after starting to aid in warm up times, if you leave it idling it will not warm as quick causing more damage.

Can cause knock which will cause bottom end damage.

Depends, would you rather drive a cold engine under load with cold oil or idle for a bit with less load on engine?
I dont wait until oil is at operating temp but i dont drive off straight away either.
Old 08 April 2013, 07:57 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Yeah I agree to a certain extent. As somebody else a bit further up said, I will start the car clip my seatbelt select the music the drive off, not instantly after starting but I maintain the letting the car idle causes premature wear on components.
Old 11 April 2013, 08:59 AM
Primeiro
Scooby Regular

The main causes is poor baffeling in the sump.

Oil surge is an issue & recomend to anyone to go for a baffled sump with uprated oil pump, new age pick up pipe. The group n sump works very well and can be done to your excisting sump if funds are tight ( aslong as sump is in good condition).

Subaru's that get thrown around alot eventualy will suffer and the big end bearings take the hammering, poor fuel and mapping doesnt help either.

Look after your engine and thats the best you can do, otherwise uprate and prevent it never happening.
Old 11 April 2013, 10:54 AM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Timely thread for me. I have a 2003 WRX - never tracked and Oil/filter changes on time with no flushing. Car has just passed 125K and has been problem free since I bought it new.

Just recently on start up, I've heard what I though was big end knock. It does not happen most times on start up and always passes. It was enough to get my attention though

I've assumed that once the big ends go - they go permanently ?. Or is it possible I am hearing the early signs of failure on intermittent occasions ?
Old 11 April 2013, 02:54 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Fron your description. This sound more like piston slap. Its unlikley big end noise will go away. Once there gone there noisey. Piston slap is pretty common on cold start and normally disapears quickly after start up. Normally nothing to worry about
Old 11 April 2013, 02:56 PM
scoobypartzuk
Scooby Newbie

going round corners fast is common problem as oil gets chucked to one side best to run dry sump
Old 12 April 2013, 09:08 AM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Fron your description. This sound more like piston slap. Its unlikley big end noise will go away. Once there gone there noisey. Piston slap is pretty common on cold start and normally disapears quickly after start up. Normally nothing to worry about
Thanks - I was thinking that but it's a fairly strong noise and I thought slap would be a lighter noise. You've confirmed my thoughts on when big ends go - it's permanent.

Every day it starts without odd noises is a good day
Old 12 April 2013, 01:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

will forging the engine reduce this problem or not?
Old 12 April 2013, 02:23 PM
Primeiro
Scooby Regular

Forging the engine you are using stronger quality components but will not stop the oil surge which is the main factor.

Uprated sump with baffeling & uprated oil pump helps the matter, the ej wet sump engines store oil in the cylinder head when running & with poor sump baffeling this becomes an issue.

Yes dry sump will eliminate this condition but in the real world 99% of everyone will not be buying a dry sump kit. Grp N engines (built them @Prodrive) run a standard sump which is modified for improved baffeling & in rally conditions this does the job.

If you are modding your engine or wish to do a mod to improve then I highley recommend the grp n sump/pick up pipe & uprated oil pump. Uprate your breather system with a return to sump & it will do the job.

Just to add that detonation is a factor aswell/poor mapping/fueling so these areas as I am sure you guys are aware need to be covered.
Old 12 April 2013, 09:59 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

cough cough