Notices

new member with plenty of problems scooby classic 1998

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2013, 09:55 PM
kiefer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member with plenty of problems scooby classic 1998

hi guys as said im new here and new to scoobs and have only ever had one other jap motor which was a mr2 always stuck to the german side of life with beemers, anyways busted my scooby cherry buying a cheap 98 classic 2l i know next to nothing about but i am a competent mechanic and have had plenty of projects, so basically are there any common issues with classic scoobs? ie engine issues electrical suspension steering common rot areas etc etc also speedo mileage wont show up maybe just a blown bulb but may be something else, counters work digital clock works all lights up fine just the mileage soesnt seem to want to come up unless im missing something?

theres a whining from the rear almost like a bearing whine but its consistent?

the brakes seem to be binding which im sure i can deal with easily but if theres any handy tips please let me know

clutch pedal is quite stiff im assuming its cable?

power steering seems a bit lax nothing to do with the fact its an awd? or maybe just needs bleeding with fresh oil?

thats all i can thing of at mo im sure if i get the help i need on this forum il be updating this

also il be spending a fair bit of wedge customizing the car with bumpers zausts wheels lights seats respray suspension anything engine mod wise etc etc so if you guys can help me with that be handy

cheers all
Old 30 March 2013, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Whining could be diff or gearbox, get it checked, Rear bearing a pig to do

Brake overhaul easy enough, Godspeed sell stainless pistons and full seal kits.

Clutch is hydraulic. It might have a stiffer one in?

What do you mean by "lax"?

When you are ready to do some modding, come on and ask first. Don't do stuff without checking, some can be COUNTER productive, some not good for the engine
Old 31 March 2013, 10:19 AM
kiefer
Scooby Newbie

After driving about yesterday evening I'm confident in saying its defiantly the diff whining I'm going to keep fingers crossed and lie to myself and just think the oil needs topping up so il do that today as well gearbox unfortunately I let of a few o my mates drive it and the combination has toasted my clutch so there a job next weekend will make do with it slipping til the , if clutch is hydro then that's more issues pedal doesn't return correctly all the time so looks as if te slave cylinder is getting ready to pop a seal or naff up completely..

Godspeed il check for them now so what I get and for what money live looking to upgrade discs and pads anyway so do it all in one

I suppose lax was the wrong choice of wordbut what I mean is the power steering doesn't feel all there only half working some corners steering is nice and soft others its quite tight reversing isn't the best either, il just flush it check for spakles if none then top it up bleed out and see what happens,

Will definitely ask before and engine mods as I'm looking to drop Turbo lump in, which I'm sure the members on here hear a lot.. Lol

Anyways thanks for all the info bud much appreciated
Old 31 March 2013, 10:20 AM
kiefer
Scooby Newbie

Excuse grammar iPhone keypads don't agree with my fingers