Buyng STI - what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2013, 07:10 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyng STI - what to look for

hi guys,

Im new to the forum and I am looking into buying a Subaru impreza sti, after a few years messing with vw's due to high insurance I am now getting to the age where I can afford to insure a proper car.

I have been looking at subarus and evos and to me subarus seem much nicer and better built cars and you seem to get a lot more for your money with a Subaru so ive 100% decided Subaru.

im looking to get a hawkeye sti but im just wondering if there are any things I should look out for, common problems etc when buying.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 23 March 2013, 08:42 PM
Lukesaunders91
Scooby Regular

Buy a widetrack dccd blobeye over the hawkeye, Cheaper tax & better engine
Old 23 March 2013, 09:23 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

I much prefer the look of the hawkeye's tbh, don't get me wrong I do like blob eyes don't get me wrong but I haven't seen many hawkeyes on the road.

The 2.0 in the blobeye do they not have the Same problems of the classic subarus with the bottom ends? A few people I know have had no ends of troubles with the bottom ends including my brother with a classic facelift uk2000. This is one thing that has always made me weary of the 2.0l but I don't know much about the engines or the newer engines
Old 23 March 2013, 09:30 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Lukesaunders91
Buy a widetrack dccd blobeye over the hawkeye, Cheaper tax & better engine
also how do I tell the difference between the DCCD and non DCCD models when looking online? and are all DCCD blobeyes also widetrack?
Old 24 March 2013, 05:00 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

anyone else got any opinions?

looking to run 340ish bhp with switchable map as the car will be used daily so i can run it on an eco map for daily driving.

i want something thats going to be good on the road.

i read the 2.5s are a much better engine for fast road use due to the better torque and low down power? im not looking to build a 500bhp monster or anything like that. Just a reliable 340 will do me nicely
Old 24 March 2013, 05:06 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Ad buy the blob with it having the stronger engine than the 2.5 with its known problems. (Chocolate pistons) and head gasket problems. The money u save on buying a blob over a hawk u could put the hawk front end on it. Best of both worlds
Old 24 March 2013, 05:55 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
Ad buy the blob with it having the stronger engine than the 2.5 with its known problems. (Chocolate pistons) and head gasket problems. The money u save on buying a blob over a hawk u could put the hawk front end on it. Best of both worlds
Thanks for the input, it looks like thats what i will be doing as im reading all sorts about the 2.5's, i just liked the idea of the 2.5's low end power and better torque but with i being a daily i dont want to be getting head gasket issues or other problems

only thing that puts me off the 2.0l is the bottom end problems but i dont know much about the newer engines and im guessing this isnt a problem? my brother and a few people local have had no end of trouble with bottom ends (older classic shape imprezas)
Old 24 March 2013, 06:28 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

The newage sti's have a really good engine mate. Nothing like the old ones. Worlds apart!!! Think a full front end for a hawk goes for about £1500 plus u get Most of that back for the blob front end. Win win
Old 24 March 2013, 06:33 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
The newage sti's have a really good engine mate. Nothing like the old ones. Worlds apart!!! Think a full front end for a hawk goes for about £1500 plus u get Most of that back for the blob front end. Win win
thats really good to know thanks for your info, i will look for a later blobeye with dccd then. how easy is 340bhp from the blobeyes? im guessing your running 332? what mods are you running to get the sort of power?

also do you what the boxes and diffs are like? my brother now has an evo 5, on rolling road it pulled just over 400bhp and hes on his 3rd rear diff (hes now saving for an rs one) which are suppose to be bullet proof
Old 24 March 2013, 06:45 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_stevo
thats really good to know thanks for your info, i will look for a later blobeye with dccd then. how easy is 340bhp from the blobeyes? im guessing your running 332? what mods are you running to get the sort of power?

also do you what the boxes and diffs are like? my brother now has an evo 5, on rolling road it pulled just over 400bhp and hes on his 3rd rear diff (hes now saving for an rs one) which are suppose to be bullet proof
On a widetrack Blob to get 340ish all you would need is an exhaust swap(from standard removing cats) and a remap but might be wise to put a new fuel pump in and it would benefit from a decent panel filter and possibly new plugs, There is no need to change anything else, The sti box/diffs are good for 600+ bhp

The above should`nt cost more than £500-600 if you use OS mapping, excluding the exhaust as you will be hard pushed to find one with a standard one still on it...

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 24 March 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 24 March 2013, 06:48 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Av sold the car now but it's not hard. Full Decat 3" system fuel pump and a map will see u at the 330-340 some say 350. Few lads running 600bhp on the box and diffs just need a good clutch haha Early blobs had synchro problems but they were revised in 05 I think something to do with materials used a think. I don't really see why everyone says to get the dccd surely it can't make that much difference.
Old 24 March 2013, 07:03 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

thats good then, i was looking at 3" turbo back exhaust, panel filter, 255lh walbro fuel pump and now i know i will go for some better plugs aswell, mapping wise i have heard alot of good things about andy forest and ive got a few mates that would be well up for a long weekend trip upto scotland with me to get the car mapped and have a bit of fum on some twistys lol

and i like the sounds of some of the additonal things that can be mapped in plus i would want switchable maps
Old 24 March 2013, 07:03 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the log book for the name
jimmy in rugby...........
Old 24 March 2013, 07:06 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If you can find a Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Hawk STi, that will have the superior two litre engine with the front end you like.
Old 24 March 2013, 07:15 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

tbh i aint too fussed for the hawk front end, i do prefer them but i do still like the look of the blobeyes and i certainly wouldnt rush into changing it, the money could be spent in better places lol
Old 24 March 2013, 08:01 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

buy my wide track blob :-)
Old 24 March 2013, 08:08 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

thats good then, i was looking at 3" turbo back exhaust, panel filter, 255lh walbro fuel pump and now i know i will go for some better plugs aswell, mapping wise i have heard alot of good things about andy forest and ive got a few mates that would be well up for a long weekend trip upto scotland with me to get the car mapped and have a bit of fum on some twistys lol

and i like the sounds of some of the additonal things that can be mapped in plus i would want switchable maps
I dont think Andy uses the Open Source Mapping software, It would be more than likely EcuTek at around £550 + any additions
Old 24 March 2013, 09:46 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by craigyp
buy my wide track blob :-)
got a link?

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
I dont think Andy uses the Open Source Mapping software, It would be more than likely EcuTek at around £550 + any additions
thats what ive been looking at, the EcuTek remaps as i would want switchable mapping
Old 24 March 2013, 10:27 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know you can have 2 maps on the OEM ecu with OS software which does not require the license like EcuTek and is a good£200 cheaper, Not trying to sway you in either direction just letting you know what is out there, My last car was OS and my current one is EcuTek
Old 24 March 2013, 10:57 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

And the ecutek on a uk blob does not offer 2 full switchable maps, where as os does I beleive, so if you are definitely wanting 2 maps then unless you change to a simtek or similar you won't get it, unless you buy a jdm blob or a uk hawk which is fly by wire rather than throttle cable so you can run race rom (i think its called that) which has a 2 map function

I think I've got that right
Old 25 March 2013, 02:13 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input, it looks like thats what i will be doing as im reading all sorts about the 2.5's, i just liked the idea of the 2.5's low end power and better torque but with i being a daily i dont want to be getting head gasket issues or other problems

only thing that puts me off the 2.0l is the bottom end problems but i dont know much about the newer engines and im guessing this isnt a problem? my brother and a few people local have had no end of trouble with bottom ends (older classic shape imprezas)
2.5 is a great road car engine with huge low down torque. If you like a car that pulls hard without having to rev the ***** off it and without having to change down a gear you will like it.
There have been some cars that have had head gasket issues and it was far more common in the early 2006 cars. Also some cars have had piston ring land fractures but most of these were modified or not run on 99ron fuel i suspect. The ring land issue was moree common on the 2008> hatch cars prompting subaru to revise the map. I think its fair to say the newage 2L engine is more tuner friendly on standard internals but it's also fair to say plenty of those have gone pop too from head gaskets or main bearings. Some say the standard 2.5 is ok upto 400bhp. Personally i say keep it under 360bhp.
One advantage with the hawk if your planning a re-map is you can have duel maps, launch control, auto blip and flat foot gear shift mapped in due to its "drive by wire" throttle. They also have the sweeping dash clocks.
Old 25 March 2013, 07:17 PM
tom_stevo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
And the ecutek on a uk blob does not offer 2 full switchable maps, where as os does I beleive, so if you are definitely wanting 2 maps then unless you change to a simtek or similar you won't get it, unless you buy a jdm blob or a uk hawk which is fly by wire rather than throttle cable so you can run race rom (i think its called that) which has a 2 map function

I think I've got that right
according to andy forest all cars after 01 can have a standard and performance map

The new age cars from 01 onwards have an excellent Denso ECU, this has more functionality than some aftermarket "performance" items.

Typical functions include map swapping between standard and performance maps whilst driving (on 01 onwards models) gear dependant boost control, temperature controlled boost level to ensure the car is properly warmed up before full power is allowed and much more.

Originally Posted by chopperman
2.5 is a great road car engine with huge low down torque. If you like a car that pulls hard without having to rev the ***** off it and without having to change down a gear you will like it.
There have been some cars that have had head gasket issues and it was far more common in the early 2006 cars. Also some cars have had piston ring land fractures but most of these were modified or not run on 99ron fuel i suspect. The ring land issue was moree common on the 2008> hatch cars prompting subaru to revise the map. I think its fair to say the newage 2L engine is more tuner friendly on standard internals but it's also fair to say plenty of those have gone pop too from head gaskets or main bearings. Some say the standard 2.5 is ok upto 400bhp. Personally i say keep it under 360bhp.
One advantage with the hawk if your planning a re-map is you can have duel maps, launch control, auto blip and flat foot gear shift mapped in due to its "drive by wire" throttle. They also have the sweeping dash clocks.
i just dont like what ive heard with the HG and pistons on the 2.5 and really dont want to be doing down the full rebuild route later on as i plan to keep the car for a while and will be a daily driver so i need something thats going to be reliable. i may get one and it never break but i dont have much luck with cars so knowig my luck i will be a lemon and both will happen after 2 weeks.

my current car had full service history, cambelt was done 10k prior to buying and 2 weeks later the belt snapped and car needed a full head rebuild which hurt lol