Notices

Ej20K questions (v3)

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2013, 11:23 PM
Woojen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ej20K questions (v3)

Hello im in the stage where im planing and building up my budget for my EJ20 build, so what i want from this post is feedback from the setup im planing and aswell some info about the parts i will be using.
Might aswell add that im fairly new to the EJ series (built a couple of 600+HP RB26/30s so im not new to engine tuning) so there will be some general questions about the EJ series because its pretty confusing in the start with all the different vers of the engine.

The Engine i currently have is a EJ20k (from a JDM 1997 STI)
First Question is about the block halves, they are not closed deck wich is preferered it seem when you are going over the 450+ hp line? i will do that so my question is, if i put in Darton sleeves in the EJ20k will it be as reliable as a closed deck then? or whats the weak thing about Open decks?

Ive read that the Heads of the Ej20 V3 is the most aggressive ones out there is this correct?

Setup i have planed so far

Bottom end
EJ20K V3 block halves (darton sleeved)
CP pistons
Eagle rods
2,5l crank

Head: EJ20K v3 heads
OEM Cams or some BC cams if the original isnt aggressive enough
Supertech Valve Stem Seals
Supertech 1mm Oversize Valves
Supertech Valve Springs and Retainers
get them seriously ported by a local guy who is really good at it!

Intake/Exhaust
custom Exhaust manifold with a rotated setup
Garrett GTX3576R
OEM Intake manifold? or any other sugestions here?

FUEL
1600cc Injectors
E85 as fuel
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH Fuel pump
brand new fuel lines
Perrin fuelrails or similliar
Haltech platinum engine management with antilag and launch

And i will ofcourse uppgrade my drivetrain with a 6spd gearbox and a clutch that match my power goals!

The stuff im most worried about is the block halves if they will work good with this stuff with Darton sleeves?

Best regards!
Old 13 February 2013, 11:46 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are run Open deck block at 490bhp with 25hp NOS jet without the single issue,if its built correctly will hold 550bhp without the doubts

On yours build I would change few bits:

Rods I would choose wisely,Eagle rods i wouldn't use,Manley at least would choose(if is budget i would go down the route of the K1 rods,Carrillo and other rods)

What headstuds you will be using,are considered to run 14mm headstuds?

BC cams I wouldn't use,if I would choose,Kelford are better cams and really worth to consider

Perrin fuel rails,not sure,have look on other choices like CDF or eBay fuel rails,they're working well on 600bhp cars

ECU have look on Syvecs S6 PnP,this ECU can control what you are want and cost less than Haltech ECU

Jura
Old 14 February 2013, 12:08 AM
Woojen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

We are run Open deck block at 490bhp with 25hp NOS jet without the single issue,if its built correctly will hold 550bhp without the doubts

On yours build I would change few bits:

Rods I would choose wisely,Eagle rods i wouldn't use,Manley at least would choose(if is budget i would go down the route of the K1 rods,Carrillo and other rods)

What headstuds you will be using,are considered to run 14mm headstuds?

BC cams I wouldn't use,if I would choose,Kelford are better cams and really worth to consider

Perrin fuel rails,not sure,have look on other choices like CDF or eBay fuel rails,they're working well on 600bhp cars

ECU have look on Syvecs S6 PnP,this ECU can control what you are want and cost less than Haltech ECU

Jura
Thanks for your inputs mate
Well about the Sleeves i feel that 370$ extra isnt a big issue i rather go overkill than pushing limits on something.
About the head studs i havent thought about that, whats the stock size(MM?)? i guess i could run with ARPs as ive done on all my previous engines?

About the cams i would take a look on that have never heard of them before so i will gladly check them out

Conrods i could for sure put some extra dollars for stronger ones!

Reason why i took Haltech is because my Tuner is very used to it and we got PNP loom for my car, and there is no support for Syvecs in Sweden as far as i know, so for the Engine management i feel comfortable to pick the one my tuner likes the best
Old 14 February 2013, 12:19 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

What I know here in UK Sleeves are not popular as in USA or elsewhere,speak to Alyn@As Performance( info@asperformance.com or tel.number: 0191 410 3770) making CDB inserts for OBD(Open deck Block)

Yes standard size is 11mm,ARP we are run and we are been happy,but if you are going with 35r i would have look on the for Cosworth 11mm 260k psi headstuds,maybe 11mm ARP headstuds should be OK,but still would go down the route with Cosworth 11mm 260k psi headstuds

Agreed if yours mapper prefer Haltech ECU,I would go with Tuner recommendation,but still would choose Syvecs without the doubts,you don't need any fancy SW or special programming lead(simple RJ45 cable),8 fuel maps,LC and ALS,Closed loop and wideband for free(no extra fee for enabling those features),Knock control,support CANbus etc

Jura
Old 14 February 2013, 12:28 AM
Woojen
Scooby Regular

Syvecs looks indeed like a good ECU, and for a fair price but there is litteraly NO big company in sweden who sell and support it And i get the Haltech + get it tuned for a very nice price togheter

i might actually contact him tomorrow to get some tips and stuff to get it all planed right
Old 14 February 2013, 12:37 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As I said,I would choose only Syvecs S6 PnP,this ECU allowing you what you are want and doesn't cost as MoTeC which have similar options/features

About the support over Sweden not sure,but you can contact Syvecs directly and ask about this,but I'm sure someone over Sweden have fitted Syvecs(his thread is in the Project section)

Jura
Old 14 February 2013, 12:42 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Great support Jura

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2013, 09:08 AM
Woojen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
Great support Jura
+1

I feel that im getting a decent setup soon! and then the fun will begin!
Old 14 February 2013, 10:01 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Also checkout the link g4 pnp ecu. Is real good stuff.
The rest sounds good.
Old 14 February 2013, 11:15 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I forgot to add few bits

Last bit but not at least,what Head gasket set you be running ?

I would suggest Cosworth

If you will be doing rebuild,use only genuine gaskets EJ205(part number is 10105AA351 )

What Oil pump you are thinking to run? Not sure if I would go down the route of the 11mm(on standard cams),but this depends on choices of cams etc.

Timing belt kit,I would go down the route of the Gates TCK328RB

Second option is to build 2.1L,with 2.1L you can gain on spool up and on the top end

Have look on those options

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/2...vcs-1484-p.asp

http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod...offer_________

Or you can contact here MartynJ@EngineTuner or David@API,we are used Neil@Slowboy racing( http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk/ )

Jura
Old 14 February 2013, 12:14 PM
Woojen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

I forgot to add few bits

Last bit but not at least,what Head gasket set you be running ?

I would suggest Cosworth

If you will be doing rebuild,use only genuine gaskets EJ205(part number is 10105AA351 )

What Oil pump you are thinking to run? Not sure if I would go down the route of the 11mm(on standard cams),but this depends on choices of cams etc.

Timing belt kit,I would go down the route of the Gates TCK328RB

Second option is to build 2.1L,with 2.1L you can gain on spool up and on the top end

Have look on those options

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/2...vcs-1484-p.asp

http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod...offer_________

Or you can contact here MartynJ@EngineTuner or David@API,we are used Neil@Slowboy racing( http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk/ )

Jura
Havent thought about the Head gasket yet but i guess cosworth is the way to go, seen them on most imprezas in Sweden
And thanks again for ur super awsome help

How is OEM oil pump doing in high end tuning? and what others on the market exist that fit my goals?
The car will used for most road fun and some trackdays now and then
Old 14 February 2013, 12:41 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woojen
Havent thought about the Head gasket yet but i guess cosworth is the way to go, seen them on most imprezas in Sweden
And thanks again for ur super awsome help

How is OEM oil pump doing in high end tuning? and what others on the market exist that fit my goals?
The car will used for most road fun and some trackdays now and then

Hi there

Cosworth we are run too on our wagon and worth extra

OEM oil pump will be OK for your needs,Cosworth selling their,but many people running OEM oil pump at high bhp,we will be running 11mm Oil pump on 2.35L with aftermarket cams(Kelford)

For yours needs should be OK modified 10mm Oil pump,speak to David@APi,they're selling modified Oil pump

http://www.apiimpreza.com/frames/pro...&categoryID=31

Or you can have look at RCM(Roger Clark Motorsport http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/shop.asp ) or contact too MartynJ@EngineTuner http://www.enginetuner.co.uk/home.htm

Jura