Notices

overheating probs ;-( any one from worcester?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2013, 11:26 AM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating probs ;-( any one from worcester?

Hey all,
Bought a 01 blob eye the other day and it was working all fine and now its decided to over heat and smoke from the turbo,i let it cool down and its started and drive but now it likes to go straight in to the red on the temp gauge so ive parked it up to save any more damage...if I pull over and let it idle it cools down but once I drive again it soon gets up there again,after the 1st time it happend I had to pull over 3 times in a short journey..
Had a garage look but they didnt have a clue,there saying all my coolant and oil and stuff are fine..
When it starts over heating the dump valve dies off and car gets sluggish,only left fan comes on,heaters are blowing hot as they should..
Im going to try new rad caps as mine are worn,my plumbing could do with all doing as it looks old..
Is there any one from worcester whos good with these or knows of any garages that are??
Ive recently moved to worcester and aint got a clue were theres a dedicated subaru garage.the locals dont seem to have a clue..
If you can help please give us a message with your number..
Im very peed as I only had it 3days,drove it over 400 miles with not a problem when I bought it..
I also suspect turbo problems as it aint as quick as a few ive owned in the past and it didnt like 5th gear on motorway unless doing 60 pluss..
Thanks

ps Im thinking of throwing a fan switch in so I can switch it on manualy,im just hoping it aint the heag gasket..How much does it cost average for head gasket change?If any one can recommend some one or some were please do as id like it fixed asap,im gouing to try radiator caps 1st.
Old 08 February 2013, 11:33 AM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RSF1
Hey all,
Bought a 01 blob eye the other day and it was working all fine and now its decided to over heat and smoke from the turbo,i let it cool down and its started and drive but now it likes to go straight in to the red on the temp gauge so ive parked it up to save any more damage...if I pull over and let it idle it cools down but once I drive again it soon gets up there again,after the 1st time it happend I had to pull over 3 times in a short journey..
Had a garage look but they didnt have a clue,there saying all my coolant and oil and stuff are fine..
When it starts over heating the dump valve dies off and car gets sluggish,only left fan comes on,heaters are blowing hot as they should..
Im going to try new rad caps as mine are worn,my plumbing could do with all doing as it looks old..
Is there any one from worcester whos good with these or knows of any garages that are??
Ive recently moved to worcester and aint got a clue were theres a dedicated subaru garage.the locals dont seem to have a clue..
If you can help please give us a message with your number..
Im very peed as I only had it 3days,drove it over 400 miles with not a problem when I bought it..
I also suspect turbo problems as it aint as quick as a few ive owned in the past and it didnt like 5th gear on motorway unless doing 60 pluss..
Thanks

ps Im thinking of throwing a fan switch in so I can switch it on manualy,im just hoping it aint the heag gasket..How much does it cost average for head gasket change?If any one can recommend some one or some were please do as id like it fixed asap,im gouing to try radiator caps 1st.

Head gasket repair is about 700 plus VAT.

If you are close to Birmingham you have a few options.

Speak to Matt @ Pole Position 01902605037 or you will find him on here. Great bunch of lads and lots on knowledge.

Other option is David at API think his username is APIdavid. He is the "go to man" when it comes to Subaru engines.

Hope you get it sorted out
Old 08 February 2013, 11:43 AM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Guess if its the head I well as just buy a new engine then lol.
I am thinking buy a engine and rebuild this one but il try the easy/cheaper things 1st.
Yea im originaly from Birmingham,dont think id have much problems if I was local but Im a bit scared to drive it any kind of distance..
Is there any thing I should look out for to confirm Head gasket?heatings fine and no loss or leaking fluids.
Thanks
Old 08 February 2013, 11:47 AM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

I am thinking buy a engine and rebuild this one but il try the easy/cheaper things 1st.
Yea im originaly from Birmingham,dont think id have much problems if I was local but Im a bit scared to drive it any kind of distance..
Is there any thing I should look out for to confirm Head gasket?heatings fine and no loss or leaking fluids.
Thanks
Take it to a garage and ask for a sniff test. This will confirm head gasket.
Old 08 February 2013, 12:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks

By all means: scrap that engine instead of paying £700 or so, forget the chance of making it better and stronger, buy an unknown and pay more, plus have the same problem down the line. It's a no-brainer
Old 08 February 2013, 01:57 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A "new" engine will cost a fair chunk more than having the head sorted, but it is recommended that when the head is done the bottom end is given a freshen up. still would work out cheaper than a new engine and cheaper than a 2nd hand engine in the long run.
Old 02 March 2013, 11:31 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the advice lads..sniff test it is..
I have a question..if I drive over 200 miles with no problems and drive round for a few days and then drive normal and it just cuts out and smokes from the turbo,would the head gasket just go like that???would it just make the car cut out like that??

Going to do the sniff testbut garage did check every thing and they pointed to the filler cap 'the metal one in front of the turbo,the manual says its some thing else but now I know its the coolant filler so Ive topped it up with coolant which sort of helped a little..The garages wernt sure what went in there butdid say thats looking like the problem as it was low and steam comeout of it..another thing,if I leave it in neutral it cools down..
I hear what your saying about the new engine,you guys know more then me about these cars,ive owned a few but never had problems with them and now this is the only car I have and need it on the rd asap
What you lot think about me trying to get it down the motorway to brum??should I chance it??should I put a switch in tomake the 2nd fan comeon and bring it down to a garage down here??
Thanks for help and advice

ps forgot to mention,I found a £800 receipt which says the car had a rebuilt engine put in in 2012 at 85,000 unfortunately ive miss placed the stuff and cant tellyou exactly what was done but it had a list of things that had seperate charges and the totalbill was around the 800 mark..

Last edited by RSF1; 02 March 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2013, 08:49 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Faulty thermo not allowing circulation?Is the coolant temp sensor ok?
Old 03 March 2013, 11:40 AM
ryan sub
Scooby Regular

not sure if redditch would be a bit closer for you as i use arden bridge subaru and i think he might offer a collection service too but not 100% 01564 742451
Old 03 March 2013, 11:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Has it had a new rad, pipework etc? Could it be airlocked?

Driving it as is is asking for trouble even if it's OK now.....
Old 03 March 2013, 08:13 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
Faulty thermo not allowing circulation?Is the coolant temp sensor ok?
This is what im thinking or were Im going to start as it seems the easiest,then im going to change the coolant cap as that was crudy,low on coolant and steamed..

Temp gauge goes half way,then goes 3/4 and then itl go down to half and then itl go into red and try cut out...

I notice your in kings norton,I use to live by the fold and had the green wagon around 2 year ago,I may of spoke to you before..
Old 03 March 2013, 08:28 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Could have but im useless with names , so youll have to evcuse me if we have. Yes , the folds just up the road from me.